Owen Speaks ... and he wants to stay

KaKa

Guest Gemmill

Owen can't win.  People have been harping on all summer for him to make a statement along these lines, and now that he has you've got people going "Yeah, WHATEVER Michael.  You're only saying that cos no one else wants you."  Honestly, some of our fans are the biggest wankers going.  This precious attitude we have where we think every player that plays for us has to absolutely fall in love with the club the same way we as fans have.  Just be happy to have a player of his calibre here tbh.

I can understand what you're saying but I can't help being cynical about his comments tbh.   He was challenged weeks ago to make that kind of statement and if he had made this statement then, I would have believed in its sincerity more than I do now.  My view is that he kept quiet to evaluate his options, found there weren't any so has then made the statement.  MO says he doesn't respond to rumour.  If he didn't want to then, why does he want to now?  The easiest way for him to clear the air and bring sincerity to this statement is for him to say that he is signing a new contract with the opt out clause removed.

Until he does that, there will always be the feeling that Owen is simply waiting for a club to activate the clause.

Why should he sign a contract with the release clause removed?  If he'd signed for Manchester United then I would see no need for him to have a release clause in his contract, and I'm sure he would too.  But he didn't, he signed for Newcastle United - recognising (as I and others with their heads screwed on do) that we are pretty much second-rate, and quite volatile as a club, he negotiated a release clause in his contract in case things went tits up.  If I was as good as he is, and was making Newcastle my club after time at Liverpool and Real Madrid, I'd be sure to request a release clause too.  The clause should have been for at least the price we bought him for, that's the only thing that grates in all this, but that's down to our master negotiator of a chairman.

As for his comments, I could have done without him making them at all, and just been happy to see him start the season playing for us.  But when there's clamour all summer for him to make the comments, I'm certainly not gonna slag him off for finally making them.

Owen can't win.  People have been harping on all summer for him to make a statement along these lines, and now that he has you've got people going "Yeah, WHATEVER Michael.  You're only saying that cos no one else wants you."  Honestly, some of our fans are the biggest wankers going.  This precious attitude we have where we think every player that plays for us has to absolutely fall in love with the club the same way we as fans have.  Just be happy to have a player of his calibre here tbh.

I can understand what you're saying but I can't help being cynical about his comments tbh.   He was challenged weeks ago to make that kind of statement and if he had made this statement then, I would have believed in its sincerity more than I do now.  My view is that he kept quiet to evaluate his options, found there weren't any so has then made the statement.  MO says he doesn't respond to rumour.  If he didn't want to then, why does he want to now?  The easiest way for him to clear the air and bring sincerity to this statement is for him to say that he is signing a new contract with the opt out clause removed.

Until he does that, there will always be the feeling that Owen is simply waiting for a club to activate the clause.

Agree. Shepherd told MO weeks ago that the big four didn't want him. He has waited until they signed strikers & thereby physically shown him that they don't want him before saying anything.

Still, I'm pleased he's staying & I can't see him moving in January either (unless we turn out to be shite) given the signings that the big four (& let's face it Spurs, WH, MC have also shelled out big bucks on strikers as well further limiting "options") have made & he aint going to move abroad.

Martins could well go, especially if he believes that Owen will get in the team ahead of him.

Guest Gemmill

Martins could well go, especially if he believes that Owen will get in the team ahead of him.

I'm much happier with the idea of us using Martins as a "supersub" to come on when the game is stretched, than I am with the idea of him being a regular starter.  If he doesn't like that idea then he probably is going to have to leave.  Oh well.

Guest Ridzuan

Finally,he has spoken his true feelings.But I wonder what took him so long? Could it be the trip to Austria that changed his mind? Anyway,I dont want to know what the reasons are but I feel very glad after reading what he had to say and I hope he can deliver his words and stay injury free in the upcoming season.

Guest Gemmill

It's great that he's gonna stay then. I'm more pleased by what he says about Sams approach to training though!

Aye, stuff like Pilates is only going to help those who keep up picking niggly muscle injuries.  I was saying when we had Woodgate at the club that he should be doing some sort of combination of yoga/pilates to sort himself out (fucking visionary, me), but at the time he was pre-occupied smashing beer bottles on his head.

I can understand what you're saying but I can't help being cynical about his comments tbh.  He was challenged weeks ago to make that kind of statement and if he had made this statement then, I would have believed in its sincerity more than I do now.  My view is that he kept quiet to evaluate his options, found there weren't any so has then made the statement.  MO says he doesn't respond to rumour.  If he didn't want to then, why does he want to now?  The easiest way for him to clear the air and bring sincerity to this statement is for him to say that he is signing a new contract with the opt out clause removed.

Why should he sign a contract with the release clause removed?  If he'd signed for Manchester United then I would see no need for him to have a release clause in his contract, and I'm sure he would too.  But he didn't, he signed for Newcastle United - recognising (as I and others with their heads screwed on do) that we are pretty much second-rate, and quite volatile as a club, he negotiated a release clause in his contract in case things went tits up.  If I was as good as he is, and was making Newcastle my club after time at Liverpool and Real Madrid, I'd be sure to request a release clause too.  The clause should have been for at least the price we bought him for, that's the only thing that grates in all this, but that's down to our master negotiator of a chairman.

As for his comments, I could have done without him making them at all, and just been happy to see him start the season playing for us.  But when there's clamour all summer for him to make the comments, I'm certainly not gonna slag him off for finally making them.

Despite also being cynical of Owen's motives, I still think there might be a bit more to it.  The amount of unprofessional administration and management he's witnessed here over 2 years must have been shocking for a player of his quality, and I can imagine that until he saw Sam's methods that he was also probably pretty worried about being perenially injured like he has been.  I think a week with Big Sam and the lads in Austria at least "sealed the deal" as far as him staying in Newcastle, if it wasn't the entire reason in itself.

I mean, can you imagine him making this kind of statement under Roeder or Souness?

I just think (as a neutral) that in view of the prolonged absences over the past 2 years, MO could repay the faith the club and the fans have in him by making a gesture.  Instead of a blanket clause for any club offering £9m for him to consider, why not just make it Liverpool, his home town club?  True, Newcastle have been in the doldrums for a while, but there is no reason to suppose that they are incapable of coming out the other side and making a serious challenge for a top 4 position.  The manager is in place, the finances are there, I don't see any reason why he couldn't make a commitment over and above what he has already said.  He doesn't have to extend the contract, doesn't have to ask for more money, just have exactly the same contract except saying he can leave if Liverpool offer £9m.

Personally, I don't see that as asking too much when compared to all that has gone on over the past 2 years.  That surely would get all the fans on MO's side without reservation instead of just some?

Guest Micktoon

Agree.

Guest Gemmill

I just think (as a neutral) that in view of the prolonged absences over the past 2 years, MO could repay the faith the club and the fans have in him by making a gesture.  Instead of a blanket clause for any club offering £9m for him to consider, why not just make it Liverpool, his home town club?  True, Newcastle have been in the doldrums for a while, but there is no reason to suppose that they are incapable of coming out the other side and making a serious challenge for a top 4 position.  The manager is in place, the finances are there, I don't see any reason why he couldn't make a commitment over and above what he has already said.  He doesn't have to extend the contract, doesn't have to ask for more money, just have exactly the same contract except saying he can leave if Liverpool offer £9m.

Personally, I don't see that as asking too much when compared to all that has gone on over the past 2 years.  That surely would get all the fans on MO's side without reservation instead of just some?

I think that up until very recently there was every reason to suppose that we weren't going to be improving any time soon, and in Owen's position I would have been looking to leave sharpish.

Guest Verlaine

As I posted on T-T, it's entirely plausible that Owen wasn't going to sign his life away to the club until he actually had a chance to work with Allardyce. You're naive and out-of-touch with reality if you sincerely think that someone should commit himself without knowing what they were getting into. It'd be like agreeing to marry a blind date you've yet to meet.

Ergo, he can't come out and be honest about the situation prior to today, because if he says 'well, I'm not really sure right now, I want to see what Allardyce is like,' then the outcry and clamour from certain people would have been deafening. Instead, he's waited until he could honestly say that he IS impressed with Allardyce, etc, before saying anything.

Personally, I think that kind of behaviour is more than acceptable, and has a far greater chance of being genuine and honest than boring empty soundbite platitudes. Some of you need to have a fucking word, or at least THINK before you form opinions.

Guest teepee

great news from owen - there's nothing else to it.

i'm sick of the criticism of some of our players...

Guest Verlaine

Good. Now stay fit and bang the goals in.

I'll only be happy with that if he dedicates every goal he subsequently scores to Newcastle and the fans.

Guest Verlaine

Good. Now stay fit and bang the goals in.

I'll only be happy with that if he dedicates every goal he subsequently scores to Newcastle and the fans.

... Even when he scores goals for England.

Those are goals he OWES us. In fact, I think they should count towards his Newcastle total. Also, I don't know what the fuck he'd be doing playing for England ever again. He should retire now out of respect for this club.

Its going to be very interesting indeed, lets see how true he will be to his word if Gooners or Man Ure do make a bid for him..

he has hung  on hoping he could get a move,  maybe his agent has touted him allover and no fker wants him.

How ever I do not see this bothering Martins as Viduka will only play a  handful of games, so its going to be Martins and Owen uptop...

I did like the little dig in Freds direction though  :D

I can't see why anyone was upset about him not commenting on his future before working with Big Sam. What do people expect? He is a world class international starter who signed for us, obviously expecting European football. The manager that signed him was sacked and we made another joke appointment in Roeder. A manager who the players took the piss out of and had no respect for. Is it any wonder this world class player was looking out for his future at a club who has just finished 14th and 5 points above relegation.

It's up to us to make the right appointments and start to move up the table, if we don't our better players will leave. Its a simple as that.

Guest Verlaine

he has hung  on hoping he could get a move,  maybe his agent has touted him allover and no fker wants him.

Don't necessarily agree with this. The timing of the comments, coming straight after the week in Austria, genuinely suggest that there's mileage in them. The window has barely opened yet if the whole hanging on theory is true.

I'm with Gemmill and Verlaine on this one, his column is essentially Owen describing the changes afoot at Newcastle from an inside perspective before concluding that he likes it and is staying. Why commit before you see for yourself how well the club is run?

Sorry I am not convinced at all, the timing just suggests its been well planned, do it now and it looks like he is more into the club after the training camp.

I still think he would leap to Man ure if they do bid..

Don't get me wrong though, i want him to stay and am happy he has at last spoken about it, even only if it kills the endless speculation on here.

I am just not 100% convinced he means it..

Sorry I am not convinced at all, the timing just suggests its been well planned, do it now and it looks like he is more into the club after the training camp.

Don't get me wrong though, i want him to stay and am happy he has at last spoken about it, even only if it kills the endless speculation on here.

Means what? That he wants to stay?

Means what? That he wants to stay?

aye, being happy to stay does not mean he wants to just he has no others offers.