Aldo Duscher arrives on trial - and promptly leaves?

Nicky

Nicked from tommorows Sun;

THE Argie who wrecked David Beckham’s 2002 World Cup is heading for Newcastle.

Midfielder Aldo Duscher’s two-footed tackle broke a metatarsal on Beckham’s left foot during a Champions League quarter-final between Manchester United and Deportivo La Coruna.

The England ace has since admitted he was never properly fit for that World Cup - despite making the plane to the finals in South Korea and Japan.

Duscher the Butcher is now jetting in to meet Newcastle boss Sam Allardyce for a trial today.

If successful, it will lead to talks over a free transfer now his Deportivo deal has expired.

Allardyce looked at Duscher, 28, last year when he was Bolton boss but the move broke down.

Deportivo want to re-sign him — but the player prefers to test himself in English football.

If he signs, Duscher can expect plenty of grief up and down the country from English fans who have never forgotten him.

Meanwhile, Newcastle insist they will not accept a penny less than £13million for Obafemi Martins.

The Nigerian striker has been attracting interest from Arsenal and Juventus but neither club is prepared to pay the £13m fee which will trigger the buy-out clause in his contract.

No official bids have been made — but the interest from the Gunners is well known. Yet Allardyce has no wish to sell Martins, 22, and is not encouraging offers.

Marseille captain Habib Beye last night turned his back on a move to St James’ Park.

Toon were ready to pay £3m for the Senegal right-back, 29.

But Beye said: “I am here at Marseille. I have a year left on my contract and I will honour that.”

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007320139,00.html

Free transfer is good.  By my counting that'd give us 10 midfielders,  who are all good enough to play.  Think it'd also put an end to the Deco rumours.

Nah, still need an attacking-midfielder.

Not convinced we do. I'd rather we sort out the defence.

Guest Invicta_Toon

I know Ashley is supposedly a low profile guy but I'm starting to get the impression Allardyce doesn't even hear him when he phones up

Free transfer is good.  By my counting that'd give us 10 midfielders,  who are all good enough to play.  Think it'd also put an end to the Deco rumours.

I'd rather we sort out the defence too, but an attacking midfielder is essential.

I don't think signing Duscher and an attacking-midfielder will stop Allardyce buying defenders as well.

I don't think signing Duscher and an attacking-midfielder will stop Allardyce buying defenders as well.

I dunno like, i'm sure he's sat there thinking "I'll just make the front six fucking mint and if they ever lose the ball Stevie T will sweep it up. Simple!"

:lol:

Spanish papers saying Racing Santander are in advanced talks with him.

It was only two years ago that Man Utd were looking at him. Has his stock fallen that much that he's discussing terms with Racing Santander?

Had a quick read on the Deportivo forums and it seems noone really rates him over there any more, apparently he was pants last season. He's become surplus to requirements and noone's really bothered he's going, even on a free. Quite a few are saying he had one good season and it went to his head when Man Utd etc showed an interest. Now it seems noone is showing much interest in him on a free contract and he's left discussing terms with Racing Santander, though there's talk of Benfica coming in and now us. A lot of them seem to think it's funny he's been reduced to talking to Santander, that he's got his comeuppance and that he won't find a bigger club.

Some of it may be sour grapes that he didn't renew his contract with them, but they genuinely don't seem bothered that they're losing him for nowt.

Not liking the sound of it to be honest, surely we can do better. Perhaps Allardyce feels he can rekindle his form from a few years ago, but given Butt's age and the fact we have experienced cover available if need be in the form of Geremi, I'd like to see us sign a younger player for this position. Someone young and hungry to succeed who will challenge Butt for his place. It seems Sam is going for experience; Viduka 31, Barton 25, Rozehnal 26, Geremi 28 and the likes of Beye, Duscher, Heinze, Deco, Edmilson, and Gudjohnsen have all been linked, but very little youth. I wouldn't mind us tempting Chelsea with a serious offer for young Lassana Diarra. Admittedly I've only seen him a few times but at both DM and RB he's really looked the part and would provide real competition for several positions. Experience is all well and good but Duscher on a free sounds like snapping him up for the sake of it to fill a position. If the money is there, an exciting young player like Diarra (just an example) would be more my cup of tea.

We've been linked with him before haven't we? Under Souness I think it was? Don't really remember, but recognise his name from a long time ago.....

about 2 years ago i think. for about 6-7mil (iirc) prob wrong though

Guest Peter.Sthlm

We've been linked with him before haven't we? Under Souness I think it was? Don't really remember, but recognise his name from a long time ago.....

about 2 years ago i think. for about 6-7mil (iirc) prob wrong though

I think it was less since DLC were in a financial crises.

Had a quick read on the Deportivo forums and it seems noone really rates him over there any more, apparently he was pants last season. He's become surplus to requirements and noone's really bothered he's going, even on a free. Quite a few are saying he had one good season and it went to his head when Man Utd etc showed an interest. Now it seems noone is showing much interest in him on a free contract and he's left discussing terms with Racing Santander, though there's talk of Benfica coming in and now us. A lot of them seem to think it's funny he's been reduced to talking to Santander, that he's got his comeuppance and that he won't find a bigger club.

Some of it may be sour grapes that he didn't renew his contract with them, but they genuinely don't seem bothered that they're losing him for nowt.

Not liking the sound of it to be honest, surely we can do better. Perhaps Allardyce feels he can rekindle his form from a few years ago, but given Butt's age and the fact we have experienced cover available if need be in the form of Geremi, I'd like to see us sign a younger player for this position. Someone young and hungry to succeed who will challenge Butt for his place. It seems Sam is going for experience; Viduka 31, Barton 25, Rozehnal 26, Geremi 28 and the likes of Beye, Duscher, Heinze, Deco, Edmilson, and Gudjohnsen have all been linked, but very little youth. I wouldn't mind us tempting Chelsea with a serious offer for young Lassana Diarra. Admittedly I've only seen him a few times but at both DM and RB he's really looked the part and would provide real competition for several positions. Experience is all well and good but Duscher on a free sounds like snapping him up for the sake of it to fill a position. If the money is there, an exciting young player like Diarra (just an example) would be more my cup of tea.

Thanks for the detailed info I wouldn't mind a younger player but what I want more is some one in that position. As long as we are cover in that positions I will be happy.

Meanwhile, Newcastle insist they will not accept a penny less than £13million for Obafemi Martins.

You fucking think? smart writing.

As for duscher if he comes here on trial it would be pretty funny, there will be alot of sides in for him that dont need him to trial, thats alot of teams better than ours too.

As for his bad for the past year, probably hasnt helped that he has wanted out for nearly two years. Good player but not convinced he is what we need.

If we really do have him on trial good stuff, whilst he isnt ideal, he might end up being a decent addition to the squad for nothing and a slight improvement on Butt.

Guest Guinness

If he can find his best form this could be a good deal on a free transfer, however he seems to have disappeared over the last two years although as has been said that's probably because he's wanted out for so long. However if we do actually have all this money to spend (I'm still not convinced we do) I'd have liked to see us go after a younger player such as Fernandes.

Spanish papers saying Racing Santander are in advanced talks with him.

It was only two years ago that Man Utd were looking at him. Has his stock fallen that much that he's discussing terms with Racing Santander?

Their not a bad side.