Left-Back

Guest jamesmartinsmith
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

IMO we should have Babayaro as our main left back, on his day he can be one of the best, and sign some understudy player, someone from the championship. We also have Carr who can play their and he was awesome last season when we needed him to step up.

Not the popular opinion, I think you'll find. :lol:

Why?

WUM?

IMO we should have Babayaro as our main left back, on his day he can be one of the best, and sign some understudy player, someone from the championship. We also have Carr who can play their and he was awesome last season when we needed him to step up.

Why?

Carr is never gonna be more than an emergency LB, he's questionable as a right back as it is. Babayaro has played about 5 good games for us since he got here, it'd be incredibly daft to just go into the season hoping that he'll randomly become a consistent, solid performer for us somehow.

And, when he inevitably doesn't, we have an understudy asked to step immediately and defy his very name by being a player ready for first-team football.

Babayaro will do fine as back-up for me, I can live with him playing ten games for us a season. But a first choice LB should be a massive priority for us now, otherwise we're gonna suffer when the season starts.

Why?

WUM?

Yes.

Just watched the interview on world from Sam following yesterday's friendly.

He reckons N'Zogbia could arguably be the best left-back at the club following yesterday's performance...

Worrying isn't it?

He reckons N'Zogbia could arguably be the best left-back at the club following yesterday's performance...

Worrying isn't it?

Worrying indeed

Worrying isn't it?

Worrying indeed

Well, it's not exactly hard.

Guest johnson293

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=478190&CPID=8&clid=111&lid=2&title=Baines+in+Black+Cats+talks&channel=football_home&

"Skysports.com understands Sunderland have opened talks with Leighton Baines over a possible move to the Stadium of Light."

Would be dissappointed to see him go down to the dark place - If the fee isn;t too stupid (£5m or less) then surely we should also be in for him?

Guest Guinness

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=478190&CPID=8&clid=111&lid=2&title=Baines+in+Black+Cats+talks&channel=football_home&

"Skysports.com understands Sunderland have opened talks with Leighton Baines over a possible move to the Stadium of Light."

Would be dissappointed to see him go down to the dark place - If the fee isn;t too stupid (£5m or less) then surely we should also be in for him?

Agreed, would be gutted if he signed for them and we didn't go in for him (unless we have someone better pretty much nailed on)

Well  I am going to be really fkd right off if Baines does join the SMB, he is  in talks with them!!

With the Hammers chasing Shorey Sam needs to do something and fast!! yeah yeah time elft blah blah blah, no good having time if all the decent options have moved to other clubs!

Guest Kenton Magpie

We are just dangling the carrot infront of the donkey (SAFC) and at the last minute we will swoop in and steal him from under their noses - fact!

Massive difference between playing LB against Carlisle and playing as LB in the Prem, he is to much of a lightweight IMO for that role game in game out. We must buy a LB and Nicky Shorey is looking like the best bet right now..

Thats if we would around £7mill for him, personally I would pay it..

Quotes from Sam:

------------------------------

"Charles N'Zogbia arguably could be the best left back this club has on its books at the moment playing like that.

"For him, and me, it was an opportunity to see him give a terrific performance in that position.

"He did everything the right way. He made fewer mistakes than a lot of his team-mates, he created a lot of great opportunities for us coming from deep and defensively where I thought he might get caught out - and perhaps might in the Premiership - he did not get caught out.

"I think it could be a good position for him if he wants to play there.

"Some people have said he may not be comfortable with it but he should be comfortable with any position as long as it's 1-11 playing for Newcastle United."

-----------------------------

Sounds like our left back hunt is not going well at all. I wouldn't be too surprised to see Zoggy there against Bolton.

I always thought Zoggy could make a good attacking full back, but the few times he's played there he's been awful, so I'mnot really sure of that one any more. His attacking instincts seem too great, but who knows with coaching he may learn the role. I think he's best suited to left wing though.

Massive difference between playing LB against Carlisle and playing as LB in the Prem, he is to much of a lightweight IMO for that role game in game out. We must buy a LB and Nicky Shorey is looking like the best bet right now..

Wouldn't be keen on playing N'Zogbia at LB anyway, but too lightweight for the position? Reckon he'd be a lot more powerful than the majority of LB's in the Premiership.

For some reason I just see Shorey being a one-season wonder, hoping we steer clear.

Black Cats get Baines go-ahead

Sunderland have finally been given permission to speak to Wigan left-back Leighton Baines.

The Black Cats are understood to have been given the go-ahead to open talks with the 22-year-old, although the clubs have yet to agree a fee.

Roy Keane has been chasing the England Under-21 international for several weeks and has seen three bids rejected by the Latics.

Baines has two years remaining on his Latics contract and despite Chris Hutchings' desire to keep him, an offer in the region of £6million will be hard to refuse.

Come on Sam....Sign him b4 Sunderland do

We are just dangling the carrot infront of the donkey (SAFC) and at the last minute we will swoop in and steal him from under their noses - fact!

hang on, didn't someone or some people talk about Whelan not wanting to sell to either Ashley or Allardyce (I forget who).

Did I mis-interpret that, as it was a joke, or is this true?

hang on, didn't someone or some people talk about Whelan not wanting to sell to either Ashley or Allardyce (I forget who).

Did I mis-interpret that, as it was a joke, or is this true?

It's true, something to do with Ashley whistle-blowing on something illegal Whelan was doing. They'd be rivals in sports retail anyway, though I don't know if that's what the incident was about.

There certainly is friction between the two though.

Guest David Kelly

The left back situation is getting pretty desperate now I don't care what anyone says about the transfer window being open until 31st August.

The simple fact is we do not have a senior leftback at the club (I refuse to count Babayarou anymore) which leaves us in a position of having to play N'Zogbia (a winger), Rammage/Huntington/Edgar (right footed centreback's or Carr (a clown of the highest order).

TBH a leftback should have been our first priority in the last three transfer windows and yet here we are a few weeks before the start of the season and we're talking about playing N'Zogbia there in the first game.  It's a pittifull situation that really needs to be sorted out this week if we are to have any realistic chance of starting the season well (which with the fixture list is something we really need to be doing).

Wouldn't be keen on playing N'Zogbia at LB anyway, but too lightweight for the position? Reckon he'd be a lot more powerful than the majority of LB's in the Premiership.

I am pretty sure Zog has all the attributes to be a terrific LB but I don't think he'd put his heart into it. Considering he's unsettled as it is, might not work out, although I agree he's a far better bet than some of the names being bandied about. Would far rather see a real LB brought in and Zog given the left mid role.