Left-Back

Guest jamesmartinsmith
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Looks like Baines may end up at the Mackems............a much better player than Franck f****** Quedrue.  :rant:

Does it? It's us he's linked with in the broadsheets today, not Sunderland

Guest aaron_is_nufc

apparently, the chronicle article that linked us with andrea barzagli, said that we were unlikely to pursue our interest in quedrue.

But it is  the chronicle.....

Guest nufcfan76

I  must say we need a LB badly. And if Gabby does come here it would be magical - his goal in the Copa America was very well taken (flick from the front right of the goal!) and we need someone with that type of class who will run their socks off down that left side; tracking back and going forward - we just don't have that solidity at the moment and if he could show a desire then sign him.

Having said that though, my only problem is that if Sir Alex is letting him leave, why? There's no doubting his talent and if Sir Alex's reluctant to let his "rivals" sign him (Liverpool) then my only guess is his attitude when he lost his place to Evra has been poor and we can't have more of that in Toon considering what Sam's trying to build.

I  must say we need a LB badly. And if Gabby does come here it would be magical - his goal in the Copa America was very well taken (flick from the front right of the goal!) and we need someone with that type of class who will run their socks off down that left side; tracking back and going forward - we just don't have that solidity at the moment and if he could show a desire then sign him.

Having said that though, my only problem is that if Sir Alex is letting him leave, why? There's no doubting his talent and if Sir Alex's reluctant to let his "rivals" sign him (Liverpool) then my only guess is his attitude when he lost his place to Evra has been poor and we can't have more of that in Toon considering what Sam's trying to build.

I thought it was more a case than Heinze wants to leave. I'd have him in a flash, but he's got his pick of clubs, tbh.

Guest nufcfan76

Probably a bit of both - who knows? I just feel forget making a "statement signing" with another stiker - it's time to make a statement with our defense. I mean whe's the last time we broke the bank on a quality defender? Wasn't it Boumsong? All I know is Ash should pony up and snap up some one of Gabby's quality or better before mid August. Only then might we have some confidence going forward.

As for going to 'pool - it's reported Sir Alex refused to sell to them - and Riise will start over Gabby - so maybe Spain and tax havens beckon, but I'd try like hell to get 'em in.

Guest nufcfan76

And as for Bridge winning the "poll," well, he's a perma crock and I'd look to increase our fitness levels on the left side, not sign Babs v 2.0. 

And as for Bridge winning the "poll," well, he's a perma crock and I'd look to increase our fitness level ont he left sign, not sign Babs v 2.0. 

This would be Wayne Bridge who played 113 consecutive Premier League games for Southampton?

Guest nufcfan76

Having to go back to Southampton for those stats says it all. I'd like to know the Chelski ones... given he's had competition, but still crocked a lot.

Having to go back to Southampton for those stats says it all. I'd like to know the Chelski ones... given he's had competition, but still crocked a lot.

Not really his fault when some 'no-mark thug' breaks his ankle in the FA Cup and he spends the better part of a year to get back to where he was... :rolleyes:

Doesnt matter whose fault it was, it has still left him with a question mark over continued fitness.

I think he is over the worst of it, but you cant ever be sure.

We could sign Heinze or Baines and they could get a freak incident on the training pitch, Heinze has also suffered on the Injury front, and unlike Bridge is yet to come back to his best form.

Doesnt matter whose fault it was, it has still left him with a question mark over continued fitness.

We could sign Heinze or Baines and they could get a freak incident on the training pitch, Heinze has also suffered on the Injury front, and unlike Bridge is yet to come back to his best form.

Not much blame can be apportioned to Bridge if someone comes along and snaps his fucking ankle though, is there?

Unlucky? Yes. Injury prone 'perma-crock' ? No.  :rolleyes:

Guest Glenn

I would have said Heinze a year ago but he's going downhill fast, which is very probably why MU are letting him go. He has been a weak-link in the Copa America for Argentina, who should have won. Heinze annoys me as he's supposedly a tough-guy defender but he's always diving when any-one touches him! As he's got older and slower his fouling and play-acting have got beyond a joke. Anyway, I suspect he would look-down on us as he's used to European football and still has delusions of grandeur (a bit like us really!).

Baines for me as No. 1 LB, with Quedrue as a cheap alternative and / or cover.

Not much blame can be apportioned to Bridge if someone comes along and snaps his f****** ankle though, is there?

Unlucky? Yes. Injury prone 'perma-crock' ? No.  :rolleyes:

Well if he hadnt been so committed....

Thats not the point, Im not agreeing with the 76 year old, im just saying it matters not, even if it was his fault, the injury happened.

The injury then left him unlucky (yes), and for a good while after injury prone, which is still obviously debatable now.

Guest nufcfan76

His fault or others, how or why he's not playing, matters not. His best form is/has been a long way off due to injuries or competition can be agreed upon by most. All that matters is now is how and why he's favored given how his newst injury which is another set back. And they only way he would have played this season is if Cole's hurt or rested. So, simply put, he's light years away from optimal fitness levels and shear class compared to an apparently available Gabby.  

And Glenn, your review of Heinze in the Copa America is far off given his side's solid and stingy defensive record of 6 goals (Second to Mexico & Brazil with 5 each). And gven his very well taken goal, in which he beat two defenders, and cooly and swiftly put past the goalie with the outside of his foot, while off balance, well, I guess we wouldn't be interested in that sort of thing on our left flank... as for his diving, I honestly didn't notice any more than most among the other Latin Oscar winners.

And as for cheap alternatives, well, look where that's gotten us over the last years when it comes to our defense. I say splash the cash.