Left-Back

Guest jamesmartinsmith
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

one of todays papers says chelsea have agreed a deal for drenthe................does that leave bridge as surplus when he's fit ?

BBC mention it in the Robben article but describe Drenthe as replacing him on the left wing.

It is also believed Feyenoord's 20-year-old left winger Royston Drenthe has been lined up to replace Dutch international Robben.

I'd imagine Malouda is taking Robben's place. They should have Joe Cole playing all this season as well. Wouldn't be surprised at all if they let Bridge go.

We need to buy one soon, I know there is still plenty of time left in the transfer window, but time is no good if all the decent left backs are bought by other clubs.

Main options are all still open.

Heinze

Bridge

Twiao

Baines

Shorey

All still at their clubs. When one or two of these options are ruled out i'd start panicking slightly. Heinze is going abroad, but its not 100% dead in the water until he says no to us. Bridge is injured, but an approach while he's injured might just speak volumes to him how much we want him, and Chelsea might just allow the deal to go ahead quicker with him missing the start of the season. Baines & Shorey are the ones most likely to be snapped up by rival clubs in the EPL, but the longer it goes on without an approach the more their value will hike and the more difficult it becomes to negotiate with them and their clubs. I'm hoping we tie up a LB in the coming week, one of these would be great, but anything less right now would be a disaster in terms of the direction and statement of intent this club is trying to achieve. Owen & Martins staying on and with our current squad and manager shows we have a good steup bar defenders, we should go as high as possible, spend £20-30m on 4 defenders, pay a little over the odds, but then have a solid defense for the 1st time in my lifetime and build on that and shake off our dodgy defending tag.

We need to buy one soon, I know there is still plenty of time left in the transfer window, but time is no good if all the decent left backs are bought by other clubs.

Heinze

Bridge

Twiao

Baines

Shorey

All still at their clubs. When one or two of these options are ruled out i'd start panicking slightly. Heinze is going abroad, but its not 100% dead in the water until he says no to us. Bridge is injured, but an approach while he's injured might just speak volumes to him how much we want him, and Chelsea might just allow the deal to go ahead quicker with him missing the start of the season. Baines & Shorey are the ones most likely to be snapped up by rival clubs in the EPL, but the longer it goes on without an approach the more their value will hike and the more difficult it becomes to negotiate with them and their clubs. I'm hoping we tie up a LB in the coming week, one of these would be great, but anything less right now would be a disaster in terms of the direction and statement of intent this club is trying to achieve. Owen & Martins staying on and with our current squad and manager shows we have a good steup bar defenders, we should go as high as possible, spend £20-30m on 4 defenders, pay a little over the odds, but then have a solid defense for the 1st time in my lifetime and build on that and shake off our dodgy defending tag.

Heinze - won't come here

Bridge - fractured pelvis

Twiao - worth a punt

Baines - we wont pay the fee

Shorey - best bet IMO, but we need to go get him now before someone else does.

Why wouldn't we pay 6 mill for Baines?

No idea, I think he is worth it but that was the crack when we were linked with him.

I would release Baba and be very happy to pay out £11 mill for Bianes and Shorey..

Who is to say Wigan just want 6m for Baines, the Mackems have had two offers knocked back.

Given the ridiculous prices some players are going for and Baines performances in Holland, it wouldnt suprise me if they were looking for near 10m at least.

Who is to say Wigan just want 6m for Baines, the Mackems have had two offers knocked back.

Given the ridiculous prices some players are going for and Baines performances in Holland, it wouldnt suprise me if they were looking for near 10m at least.

Sunderlands offers haven't even matched £6m so far.

Baines is there for the taking at £6m imo, i just don't think to us since Ashley cost the Wigan owner nearly £7m when he grassed him up in shirt price fixing according to net reports. ( i can sort of remember it as well but neither parties had any relevance at the time)

"One story that has been reported is that in 2000, he turned whistle-blower on his sports retailer rivals - passing over evidence of price-fixing on England and Manchester United shirts - to the Office of Fair Trading.

Because of this JJB Sports, owned by the Wigan chairman, Dave Whelan, was fined £6.7m.

We see nothing wrong with this - at least the guy seems ethical and above board."

http://nufcblog.com/mike-ashley-divorced-with-three-kids/

Sunderlands offers haven't even matched £6m so far.

Baines is there for the taking at £6m imo, i just don't think to us since Ashley cost the Wigan owner nearly £7m when he grassed him up in shirt price fixing according to net reports. ( i can sort of remember it as well but neither parties had any relevance at the time)

"One story that has been reported is that in 2000, he turned whistle-blower on his sports retailer rivals - passing over evidence of price-fixing on England and Manchester United shirts - to the Office of Fair Trading.

Because of this JJB Sports, owned by the Wigan chairman, Dave Whelan, was fined £6.7m.

We see nothing wrong with this - at least the guy seems ethical and above board."

http://nufcblog.com/mike-ashley-divorced-with-three-kids/

Strange they are happy to bid as much or more for players that have never played in the premiership.

6m is a good price for Baines given his age, experience and potential. Still suprised we arent prepared to go for him. I think he would be prepared to learn from an experienced LB aswell if we could find one.

Guest Guinness

Just to throw another name into the hat, what about Arthur Boka? I remember him really impressing at the world cup, I know he signed for Stuttgart last season but I don't know how much he played for them.

Just to throw another name into the hat, what about Arthur Boka? I remember him really impressing at the world cup, I know he signed for Stuttgart last season but I don't know how much he played for them.

Smaller than Baines, and that is the supposed reason why SA is looking elsewhere.

Dunno how true that is though.

Smaller than Baines, and that is the supposed reason why SA is looking elsewhere.

The whole height thing was Alan Oliver speculation which may or may not be true.

The only full back of any description Sam has signed is Geremi and he's small.

The whole height thing was Alan Oliver speculation which may or may not be true.

The only full back of any description Sam has signed is Geremi and he's small.

True.

I couldn't remember where it came from, so aye, total shite then.  >:D

Don't see why height is massivly important for full backs tbh.

Its not essential but is very handy for a team like ours when the majority of players are about 4ft 7. Its quite likely most games we will have only 3 players on the pitch who will be over 6ft.

The Mirror reckon Shorey is now priced at £8mill.

SHOREY'S IN FIGHT

19/07/2007

READING are battling to persuade £8m-rated Nicky Shorey his future remains at the Madejski Stadium after turning down another enquiry from West Ham.

The England left-back is a prime Hammers' target after they sold Paul Konchesky to Fulham while Newcastle and Everton are also admirers.

=====================================================

The longer we wait the higher the rpcie will get and the bigger the chance of us losign him to another club..

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=477546&CPID=8&clid=21&lid=2&title=Shorey+flattered+by+Hammers&channel=football_home&

England full-back Nicky Shorey admits he is flattered by reported interest being shown in him by West Ham.

The Hammers need to bolster their options at left-back after letting Paul Konchesky join Fulham and the Reading man appears to be high on Alan Curbishley's list of targets.

Shorey is a life-long West Ham fan and the club are now understood to be lining up a £5million for the 26-year-old.

"It's flattering to hear they might be interested, we'll just have to see what happens," Shorey told the Daily Mail.

Shorey is currently in talks with Reading over a new deal, but he is yet to be offered terms.

"My agent has been dealing with my contract, but, so far, I haven't received an offer," he revealed.

"I don't know what's going to happen, I want to see where Reading see me in their plans and also where the club is going."

The Mirror reckon Shorey is now priced at £8mill.

SHOREY'S IN FIGHT

19/07/2007

READING are battling to persuade £8m-rated Nicky Shorey his future remains at the Madejski Stadium after turning down another enquiry from West Ham.

The England left-back is a prime Hammers' target after they sold Paul Konchesky to Fulham while Newcastle and Everton are also admirers.

=====================================================

The longer we wait the higher the rpcie will get and the bigger the chance of us losign him to another club..

http://home.skysports.com/list.aspx?hlid=477546&CPID=8&clid=21&lid=2&title=Shorey+flattered+by+Hammers&channel=football_home&

England full-back Nicky Shorey admits he is flattered by reported interest being shown in him by West Ham.

The Hammers need to bolster their options at left-back after letting Paul Konchesky join Fulham and the Reading man appears to be high on Alan Curbishley's list of targets.

Shorey is a life-long West Ham fan and the club are now understood to be lining up a £5million for the 26-year-old.

"It's flattering to hear they might be interested, we'll just have to see what happens," Shorey told the Daily Mail.

Shorey is currently in talks with Reading over a new deal, but he is yet to be offered terms.

"My agent has been dealing with my contract, but, so far, I haven't received an offer," he revealed.

"I don't know what's going to happen, I want to see where Reading see me in their plans and also where the club is going."

I wouldn't even contemplate spending 8m on Nicky Shorey.