Hartlepool Utd .vs. Newcastle Utd (BBC Radio Cleveland) - Official Match Thread

Skirge

Guest sicko2ndbest

Good Craic at the match. Rozenhal looked assured enough, i thought nzogbia was a different gravy he was busting a gut to get back and wasnt afraid to take people on. Shola was immense and was gettin some good songs ''hes only got one hip'' ''hes got a brand new hip'' and dozens of choruses of do the ameobi. He was pissin himself laughing at all the songs. Owen looked quite sharp and there was one point where shola and owen played a couple of one twos before sholas shot was saved, would have been quality. dyer looked good as was barton altho i thought he looked a bit overweight. huntington was w#nk and cant keep the ball to save his life. i hate to say it of my favourite player but nobby was looking really slow.

the keeper who was literally two yards from the toon fans was gettin alsorts of abuse and then when he dropped the ball into the net ........... wow, i think that might be giving him nightmares for a few weeeks.

best bit of craic all night was some lad singin ''keano he w#nks his ......... you know'' with every possible thing put in there, kids grandma etc lasted about 20 mins

ps. all the players were wearing heart rate monitors whilst playin so obviously sam has got this sort of thing set up already

Good to hear will measure recovery rate, which will ultimately show how fit they are. I wouldnt worry about Joey, he can sometimes look out of shape but i would back him against anyone in the fitness stakes

Must have missed the season when Roeder took over. His goal tally wasnt bad at the start of last season either until the injury.

Yup, I'm backing him to have a decent season this year. Depends on the formation, rotation and probably the form of Viduka but I can see him up around 15 goals this season.

ameobi?

Excellent goal ratio since he first got a serious look in from January 2006. If he gets enough regular spells on the pitch, he will get enough goals.

but he wont score goals. he's never scored goals consistently in the past and that'll never change. the less games he plays for us the better.

Form since January 2006 would suggest otherwise.

how many games has he played since January 2006?

12 goals in 29 competitive starts with a crocked hip. An excellent ratio, up there with the best at this club over recent seasons. Although I doubt that will stop the continuation of your ridiculous vendetta which obviously has nothing to do with football.

Will be interesting to see how they fair against celtic next thursday after another weeks training and with geremi,luque and maybe milner in contention.

Its good to see barton flying in even in pre season we need players with that sort of instability in the team.

Good to hear rozenthal looks steady but again will be different type of game against celtic.

Glad to also hear the zog was up for it. Lets remember this is just the first game and pre season has just started lots more training and game work to go.

Btw what was the team shape like and did they seem to play much as a team.

Also what sort of style were they playing was it more try to keep it on the deck and play up the pitch or a mix of long and short or all long ?

Just having Michael Owen fit for most of the season (hopefully) will do wonders for our season. Still cant let go of when we met West Ham away and they played us off the park for most of the game and we still managed to win and Owen grabbed a hattrick.

And now hopefully with a better defence in the future and Sam in charge and us hopefully much fitter and with some true tactics and organisation we wont be any pushovers and maybe we can find some consistency and teamspirit for once.

Im optimistic but still catious. If we can go in the right direction slowly but steadily i will be more than happy to have some patience for success. I just dont want to suffer anymore from seeing pathetic performances and our rollercoast style.

There wasn't much defending to be done (first half anyway, second half Ramage and Huntington made it look like we were playing Brazil) but Rozehnal looked very comfortable on the ball more than anything. We played some good stuff on the deck first half, with their keeper saving brilliantly from Carroll, Barton and Martins.

Second half we undid them with flair more than anything, N'Zogbia came out of his shell and performed, while Shola and Troisi were skinning them for fun.

in all fairness i thought carr was good going forward when he was right back. seemed a lot fitter than previously.

we had butt sitting and the other midfielders were just bombing forward at pace, obviously this will b more  difficult against better teams. played some nice simple football. in fact i reckon thats the least long balls ive seen in a few years. also noticed a lot of through balls both through to owen and shola and to the wingers. i reckon this was just down to pools being crap and us exploiting space

IF(!!) shola can carry on the form he showed before he was injured and what he showed today then i think a lot of people may be in for a big shock at the reebok when he starts ahead of martins.

How old is Troisi?

Turned 19 this year

Was poor for the reserves last year except for the odd glimpse of magic.

Only seen him once, in the reserve-game away to Man U, thought he was the best player in black and white that night.

How old is Troisi?

Turned 19 this year

Was poor for the reserves last year except for the odd glimpse of magic.

Only seen him once, in the reserve-game away to Man U, thought he was the best player in black and white that night.

They say he's very confident and good on the ball. One marked to come through in the next year or two apparently.

Guest optimistic nit

There wasn't much defending to be done (first half anyway, second half Ramage and Huntington made it look like we were playing Brazil) but Rozehnal looked very comfortable on the ball more than anything. We played some good stuff on the deck first half, with their keeper saving brilliantly from Carroll, Barton and Martins.

Second half we undid them with flair more than anything, N'Zogbia came out of his shell and performed, while Shola and Troisi were skinning them for fun.

Wullie i'm interested to know whether carroll has much chance of making a PL standard forward. i know it was against hartlepool, but did he have any sort of PL player presence or did he look like the type who will fade away, if you know what i mean. also what about betram, lough and francis.

Wullie i'm interested to know whether carroll has much chance of making a PL standard forward. i know it was against hartlepool, but did he have any sort of PL player presence or did he look like the type who will fade away, if you know what i mean. also what about betram, lough and francis.

surely carrolls cameos at the end of last season are a better guide ?

Guest optimistic nit

not really, because they were cameo's. he's had 45 mins, what i mean really is that does he look like he knows how to score. was his shooting technique good, good movement/positioning etc.. all those can be judged no matter what the opposition, and positioning is the sort of things that you either have or don't.

Solid but unspectacular really, won lots of headers as you'd expect, only thing really of note was a snap volley from about 20 yards which forced a great save, showed good technique in doing so. Not sure he'll ever score many goals but I don't think it's implausible for him to become like Crouch, he's got a decent touch for a big bloke, as the old cliche goes.

not really, because they were cameo's. he's had 45 mins, what i mean really is that does he look like he knows how to score. was his shooting technique good, good movement/positioning etc.. all those can be judged no matter what the opposition, and positioning is the sort of things that you either have or don't.

Had a scorching shot from 25 yards that was superbly saved.

Won nearly every header and was decent on the ground.

Hard to judge from the first pre season game.