No Galacticos but good solid defenders needed - Big Sam

Guest sicko2ndbest

Babayao is not a lost cause yet, nor Carr. I know it seems doubtful he can turn them around but it is possible. Perhaps.

If he wants 4 top defenders, then its going to be 2 LB's, 1 CB & 1 RB.

Good fuking bye Carr & Babayaro.

What is this madness you speak sir?

Just some decent competition and coaching will see better players of the both of them imo.

Dont think we need to be too bothered at the moment with the board situation, its going to be frantic, always is when new business's take over old ones. Talking to Sam a bit more is a kinda biggy on the list but things will soon settle.

They've had their chance, their time is up. The fans do not like these two, and both need removing with immediate effect. I hope the only reason they are still here is that SA hasn't go round to signing their replacements...yet.

Absolutely. I share your sentiment but not your optimism, I dont think we will be shipping them out this summer, bar a signing flurry miracle, we can all hope we get that far though!

I'm liking the impatience, the honesty and the realism, I'm also liking his confidence and authority. You could never imagine Roeder speaking so bluntly like SA has done today. However like Dave, I think people are reading into things too much. His priorities are spot on too. I honestly don't think he's put a foot wrong since he joined us. All managers speak crap to the media and often contradict themselves, but Sam been bang on the button thus far. The new owner/management have also been pretty much spot on, their priorities are right too. But there needs to be a compromise in between and things behind the scenes will have to take a backseat to funding for a moment or two.

I'm hoping Allardyce's "they don't quite understand yet" was a ballsy attempt to focus direction. He has my attention every time he talks. But you don't often hear managers openly criticise new owners in public like that.

Might have to rename the club McNewcastle coz I'm lovin' it. :D

Babayao is not a lost cause yet, nor Carr. I know it seems doubtful he can turn them around but it is possible. Perhaps.

If he wants 4 top defenders, then its going to be 2 LB's, 1 CB & 1 RB.

Good fuking bye Carr & Babayaro.

What is this madness you speak sir?

Just some decent competition and coaching will see better players of the both of them imo.

Dont think we need to be too bothered at the moment with the board situation, its going to be frantic, always is when new business's take over old ones. Talking to Sam a bit more is a kinda biggy on the list but things will soon settle.

They've had their chance, their time is up. The fans do not like these two, and both need removing with immediate effect. I hope the only reason they are still here is that SA hasn't go round to signing their replacements...yet.

Absolutely. I share your sentiment but not your optimism, I dont think we will be shipping them out this summer, bar a signing flurry miracle, we can all hope we get that far though!

6 weeks for the window to close and we've spent £1.5m in total, and have just been taken over by a billionaire. The club should be finished its review soon, and a new plan should hopefully contain more money for this seasons spends.

I truly hope were in a position to cancel both of these players contracts, as lets face it, only a turnip would sign these two for money after their efforts (or lack of) at this football club.

Guest Knightrider

I'm liking the impatience, the honesty and the realism, I'm also liking his confidence and authority. You could never imagine Roeder speaking so bluntly like SA has done today. However like Dave, I think people are reading into things too much. His priorities are spot on too. I honestly don't think he's put a foot wrong since he joined us. All managers speak crap to the media and often contradict themselves, but Sam been bang on the button thus far. The new owner/management have also been pretty much spot on, their priorities are right too. But there needs to be a compromise in between and things behind the scenes will have to take a backseat to funding for a moment or two.

got to disagree a bit,that sort of thing should be sorted out within the club,using the press like that is a strange game that rarely works and makes no-one look good.

Depends how insecure everyone is and how paranoid. No doubt some sections of the press will make a story out of it, but I'm not concerned and nor should anyone be really. All managers use the press to "have a word" with the power brokers. Fergie, Rafa, Wenger, Mourinho, KK did it expertly, they all do. Big Sam even done it at Bolton, where he ruled the roost if you like.

If you look at it differently, his comments are positive and say to me "action".

Guest Knightrider

Alternatively, as we seem to be reading into things here, perhaps Big Sam is so secure and confident in the chair and with the new owner and his team, that he CAN say these things?

got to disagree a bit,that sort of thing should be sorted out within the club,using the press like that is a strange game that rarely works and makes no-one look good.

Depends how insecure everyone is and how paranoid. No doubt some sections of the press will make a story out of it, but I'm not concerned and nor should anyone be really. All managers use the press to "have a word" with the power brokers. Fergie, Rafa, Wenger, Mourinho, KK did it expertly, they all do. Big Sam even done it at Bolton, where he ruled the roost if you like.

If you look at it differently, his comments are positive and say to me "action".

not so quick though,especially when he says he understands the position.

Guest Knightrider

6 weeks for the window to close and we've spent £1.5m in total, and have just been taken over by a billionaire. The club should be finished its review soon, and a new plan should hopefully contain more money for this seasons spends.

For all we know, we could be in the process of closing in on deals that will take our spending to £20m or whatever. If come August the 31st, we've still only spent £1.5m, then I'd be concerned, until then I'm prepared to sit and not pass judgment.

I can't help feeling our rather quick dealings to date may have raised expectations when it comes to the transfer market, that and talk of big names and £50m budgets. Roeder for all his mocking was right when he said the transfer market isn't easy, it isn't. Sam is focused and knows what he's doing but he can't bend spoons nor always get what he wants. He too will have to be patient which I'm sure he's prepared to be, if not exactly happy to be as all managers would love to start pre-season training with all business concluded.

For all we know, we could be in the process of closing in on deals that will take our spending to £20m or whatever. If come August the 31st, we've still only spent £1.5m, then I'd be concerned, until then I'm prepared to sit and not pass judgment.

I can't help feeling our rather quick dealings to date may have raised expectations when it comes to the transfer market, that and talk of big names and £50m budgets. Roeder for all his mocking was right when he said the transfer market isn't easy, it isn't. Sam is focused and knows what he's doing but he can't bend spoons nor always get what he wants. He too will have to be patient which I'm sure he's prepared to be, if not exactly happy to be as all managers would love to start pre-season training with all business concluded.

Even i can bend spoons if i want ;)

I agree. It may be measured criticism but it's pretty unambiguous - he's a bit frustrated about the way the new owners are handling things and has chosen to go out and tell the media.

I'm generally pretty content with the way things are going, but like Allardyce says there is a need to act quickly because we're potentially trying to integrate 8 new signings into the squad/team and that's quite a tall order with the Bolton game 4 weeks away. The quicker we get them in the better prepared we'll be for the season ahead and that's clearly the source of Sam's frustration. The fact that Ramage would be lining up in our best first XI now shows there is a lot of work still to be done.

I'm confident we'll get it sorted, but Allardyce's concerns are very valid. There are bound to be teething problems in the first few games of the season with players who barely know each other's names turning out for us.

More comments from the interview, courtesy of The Journal. I notice he's now talking about three defenders instead of four.

“I wouldn’t say the takeover harmed us in the transfer market, just stalled us slightly because of the huge transfer of responsibility. You have to try to be patient and unfortunately I’m not a very patient man at this time of year.

“We’ve had a complete change-around at the club and they (the new owners) don’t quite understand if you don’t move quickly you can get lost. It is a frustration but an understandable one. While we got off to a sprint start (in the transfer market), we’re only jogging at the minute. Other people are catching up and overtaking us. Before everyone got back in training you could move relatively comfortably in the transfer market, now targets are being nailed.

“They (the owners) obviously need to know what is happening and are cautious but many targets are coming and going now and more and more people are moving in the transfer market. Some of our targets have gone. There will be plenty more coming up between now and August but we must move as quick as we possibly can.

“By the day now you can pick up the newspaper or put the TV on and somebody’s gone. Fulham have spent about £19m, Wigan have maybe gone past £10m, Tottenham are well into the twenties, Man United and Liverpool are well into the forties and everybody else is still spending as well. There is a lot of money getting spent and Newcastle United does not want to get left behind because this is a very good squad which needs strengthening.

“I have to try to explain the necessity and priority of signings. There are a lot of things the new owners have to get through and they have to look at the global side of it. I don’t have to do that, they do. It takes a huge amount of time to move into an investment of this size, I understand that, but from my point of view I’m trying to be the one that stays at the front and says my (requirements are) more important than anyone else’s.

“We’ve got some big stars already so we don’t need any others. We need defenders with Premiership experience first, then other quality defenders from other parts of Europe if we can’t find them in this country. That is the main priority.

“We’re hoping to bring some good players to the club and I’m not talking about the big Galactico stars mentioned by the Sunday newspapers. We need three solid, very good defenders and we will be a force. If he (Ashley) wants to give me a little gift of a Galactico after that I wouldn’t say ‘No’.”

It does read like a thinly veiled "hurry up" to the new owners and it's interesting he's used the media to vent these comments.

If someone on here said the things Sam is saying they'd be told to relax and that everything is in order. To hear it from Sam himself is a bit more disconcerting.

I think Sam is doing the right thing telling supporters directly and the owners indirectly what his thoughts are and how critical this period is to his rebuilding task...

A lot of us (the fans) have started to have thoughts in the back of our heads wondering why we haven't been spending big money while other teams are already (as Sam said) in their 20 millions and even 30s and 40s...How many of you have criticised Sam for getting freebies and out of contract players and saying that this is NOT Bolton Wonderers anymore this is Newcastle and he (Sam) needs to target bigger players...The realilty is that he wants to spend money but there is isn't enough money made avaiable for him by the new owners yet...And that is NOT good...They (the new owners) need to put everything else on hold and consitrate on rebuilding the squad until end of tranfer window then go back to what they want to do with the club...Priorities have to be listed and first priority it getting playing staff ASAP...

Remember what Rafa Benitez did a month ago ? He criticised their new owners for not providing the funds yet...And only after that public criticism he was given big money to buy Torres, Babel, Benayon...

Changes leave United trailing

Jul 17 2007

by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

Stuart Rayner

SAM Allardyce has admitted Newcastle United are playing catch-up in a vastly over-inflated summer transfer market.

The 52-year-old, who takes charge of his first Magpies game at Hartlepool United tonight, believes Mike Ashley’s takeover and the new regime’s caution have caused the club to miss out on a host of targets.

A new television deal, plus an influx of billionaire foreign owners, have allowed West Ham United, Portsmouth, Aston Villa, Liverpool, Manchester United and Tottenham Hotspur to offer huge transfer fees and wages to a host of players, while Sunderland, Fulham and Wigan Athletic have also been punching above their traditional weight. The Magpies have signed four players – Joey Barton, David Rozehnal, Geremi and Mark Viduka – this summer, but Allardyce is looking for twice that number.

The reason for the lack of progress, he says, is the club’s new board have not yet adapted to football’s transfer market. He is anxious to change that to land some defenders with Premiership experience. “I wouldn’t say the takeover harmed us in the transfer market, just stalled us slightly because of the huge transfer of responsibility,” said Allardyce. “You have to try to be patient and unfortunately I’m not a very patient man at this time of year.

Story continues Continue story

ADVERTISEMENT

“We’ve had a complete change-around at the club and they (the new owners) don’t quite understand if you don’t move quickly you can get lost. It is a frustration but an understandable one. While we got off to a sprint start (in the transfer market), we’re only jogging at the minute. Other people are catching up and overtaking us. Before everyone got back in training you could move relatively comfortably in the transfer market, now targets are being nailed.

“They (the owners) obviously need to know what is happening and are cautious but many targets are coming and going now and more

and more people are moving in the transfer market. Some of our targets have gone. There will be plenty more coming up between now and August but we must move as quick as we possibly can.

“By the day now you can pick up the newspaper or put the TV on and somebody’s gone. Fulham have spent about £19m, Wigan have maybe gone past £10m, Tottenham are well into the twenties, Man United and Liverpool are well into the forties and everybody else is still spending as well. There is a lot of money getting spent and Newcastle United does not want to get left behind because this is a very good squad which needs strengthening.”

The former Bolton Wanderers manager revealed he is working hard behind the scenes to change the new board’s thinking. Of the club’s current directors, only chairman Freddie Shepherd has worked in a similar job before and his physical condition prevents him playing a hands-on role.

“I have to try to explain the necessity and priority of signings,” said Allardyce. “There are a lot of things the new owners have to get through and they have to look at the global side of it. I don’t have to do that, they do. It takes a huge amount of time to move into an investment of this size, I understand that, but from my point of view I’m trying to be the one that stays at the front and says my (requirements are) more important than anyone else’s.”

Newcastle have developed an unwanted reputation for profligacy in recent years but Allardyce is determined not to be side-tracked by big names.

“We’ve got some big stars already so we don’t need any others,” said Allardyce. “We need defenders with Premiership experience first, then other quality defenders from other parts of Europe if we can’t find them in this country. That is the main priority.

“We’re hoping to bring some good players to the club and I’m not talking about the big Galactico stars mentioned by the Sunday newspapers. We need three solid, very good defenders and we will be a force. If he (Ashley) wants to give me a little gift of a Galactico after that I wouldn’t say ‘No’.”

bit worrying the total lack of knowledge in the transfer market of our new owners and unless they get there fingers out big sams going to be fookin fuming soon ,you can tell that he is concerned  :rant:

Don't know what I feel now after reading that!

On the face of it, it looks like the board is a little distant from Sam atm! I just hope this gives them the insentive to show there true intentions!

I feel even if we don't get any global superstars, we will still do well. But if we don't get any defenders in come the transfer window shuts there needs to be fingers pointed already!

I think Sam has released this piece to

A) - Hopefully make the new board release substantial funds.

B) - Make sure the fans understand, if were left short, we know who to blame!

Guest Invicta_Toon

well I hope no-one starts blaming the transfer window, we all know that just doesn't fly

I'm not too surprised Ashley hasn't released the funds yet. He's come in and taken over a business that hasn't been well run without doing due dilligence, and the first thing he's done is send in his trusted lieutenant to find all the skeletons in the closets.

Until that's done he's not going to want to spend megabucks. I think there's also a genuine issue about learning the ropes in the transfer market. Mort and co won't know what the timelines are that they should expect, have to get used to dealing with agents and all the rest. They're probably also running into a lot of people saying 'this is the way things are done' while they're thinking 'that's borderline illegal' or similar about some of the games practices.

So I guess it's understandable Allardyce is frustrated, but from Ashley's point of view he wants to know exactly where he's putting his money. There's almost no other business where you go around spending this much money on product of such questionable value so frequently.

The thing that bothers me is this talk of a galactico type signing. I am a bit worried that Ashley wants to buy us a present so we'll all love him, and given our current position, attractiveness etc. I can't see that ending well.

Guest TyneToPlay

I don't think funds are a problem. It's how we attract top players. You have to work on them, their families, and their agents for ages, persuading them to move up and that the club is going places. We don't have that feel yet, so have to build up to it. We have to get a good season under our belt and get into Europe again. Then the feel good factor will return and Sam will be able to get in top players.

Until then he will have to work the same magic he did at Bolotn... taking in all the odds & sods and making a purse from a pigs ear!

It sounds like the nuts and bolts of the previous four transfers were handled by the old regime, and now that the new people have completely taken over, their inexperience is showing. As Lloydie said, the football business is different to all others.

But there's no question that Sam is worried. A poor defence could undermine all the good work that he wants to put in elsewhere in the side.

Guest Guinness

It sounds like the nuts and bolts of the previous four transfers were handled by the old regime, and now that the new people have completely taken over, their inexperience is showing. As Lloydie said, the football business is different to all others.

But there's no question that Sam is worried. A poor defence could undermine all the good work that he wants to put in elsewhere in the side.

That's my reading of it too. Hopefully this will spark the new owners into action, Sam indicates they're being overly cautious which is understandable seeing as they're new to football. As has been said it seems as if this is a nudge to the new board and that if we get the players in he wants then we will be in a strong position. He's admitted we've already missed out on certain targets and clearly doesn't want to miss out on any more so hopefully his words will have the desired effect.

Whichever way you read it, Sam is clearly concerned that getting those defenders is becoming more difficult as the days go by. We don't want to be in a position where we are chasing players as transfer deadline day approaches - more than likely players who weren't first choice targets to begin with.

Looks like the honeymoon is over, tbh.

good, now we can all stop pretending the cunt is a better manager than Brian Clough and SAF's love child, and  that he's got the Board whipped into shape, and accept that he's a strong-willed employee of the club who uses the media to his own ends, and doesn't mind whining if it suits him.

i don't particularly care if "Big" Sam is spooning Ashley under the duvet, or if they have a cold, business-like relationship. As long as NUFC are as successful as possible.

I'm not sure which defenders Sam feels we've missed out on. Ben Haim and Sagna went to top four clubs, which is understandable. I can't think of any top class defenders who've gone to our competitors (eg West Ham, Spurs etc) that we should have been in for.