Fraser Forster

Guest Alan Shearer 9

• 2 weeks later...

http://www.eveningtimes.co.uk/sport/editor-s-picks/fraser-forster-skills-foster-feeling-of-security-and-sense-of-anxiety-1.1059221?

Fraser Forster skills foster feeling of security ... and sense of anxiety

Ronnie Cully

4 Oct 2010

The next transfer window does not open for another three months, but already Neil Lennon has reason to view that day with some trepidation.

His early concern is that, having found a goalkeeper on whom he can pin his faith, that man could be snatched away from him again, with the Celtic manager helpless to prevent it.

Fraser was expected to spend the entire season at Parkhead, coincidentally, his loan deal matching the length of Lennon’s contract.

However, performances like the one he delivered at the weekend to help the Hoops defeat Hamilton 3-1 will not have gone unnoticed by the club holding his registration, Newcastle.

With the Toon’s No.1 shot-stopper, Steve Harper, sidelined for at least the rest of the year after shoulder surgery, Forster’s ability to cope with regular first-team action in a side expected to win every week is undoubtedly subject to close study on Tyneside.

Lennon admitted he can only wait and see what transpires in January, and said: “We will review his loan arrangement in January, but that will probably be dictated by Newcastle.”

It would be a bitter disappointment if the 22-year-old was recalled early.

When you are building anything new, especially something which you hope will stand for many years to come, it is essential you get the foundations right.

After watching previous Celtic managers construct then have to demolish teams, Lennon knows this better than most.

Which is why, when most attention was centred on the clutch of strikers he brought to Parkhead in the summer, it was the capture of Forster to become the rock upon which his defence stands that gave Lennon a feeling of security.

Had it not been for Forster’s ability to repel a Hamilton side which proved adept at picking holes in Celtic’s backline during the opening quarter of their weekend game, the Hoops’ 100 per cent SPL record would have come crashing down around their ears.

Having been kept in the game by Forster after Accies took an early lead, the home side pulled themselves together sufficiently to construct win No.7 of the season and head for the international break boasting an address which says No.1 in the SPL.

But such a rosy outcome should not camouflage that fact that, for a long period, Celtic were on shaky ground.

The one man who looked rock solid as many around him crumbled was their giant goalkeeper. And, while Lennon knew prior to signing him that the youngster had the temperament and ability to deliver, it was nevertheless, reassuring for him to see Forster live up to expectations when it mattered.

Filling the boots – or gloves – of fans’ favourite Artur Boruc is a huge ask of anyone, let alone one who is still a baby in goalkeeping terms.

Forster appears to fit the bill, though, and Lennon said: “All good teams need a good goalkeeper, and I think we have got one. He made some wonderful saves in that opening period against Hamilton.

“I’m just annoyed that, because of the way we were playing, he had to do that. But he has pulled them off and has shown the public what he is capable of doing.

“In training, Fraser has looked very, very good, so we all knew he was capable of making those kind of stops.

“Our only reservation when he brought him here was that he is so young. But, for someone so young he shows great maturity.”

The manager appreciates how switched on Forster was in the early stages against Accies when his team-mates were in a self-induced torpa which allowed Mark McLaughlin to heads them in front.

Having previously sleep-walked through the opening stages of last month game at Kilmarnock, when they also fell behind to a cheap goal, Lennon recognised the worrying signs.

“You can’t just walk out onto the pitch and switch a light on, you have to prepare yourselves properly,” he said.

“We conceded from a set-piece, and we’ve gone to sleep, not doing our jobs properly.

“We were slack defensively, got spooked when they scored and had to rely on our keeper to make some really good saves. We can’t start games like that.”

Certainly not with Dundee United and Rangers lying in wait when the action resumes after the international break.

Lennon reacted badly to what he saw creep into his side’s game and said: “I had to give it to them at half-time, which is the first time I’ve had to do that in a while. But, I got the response I was looking for.”

Two goals from Shaun Maloney – the second a superb free-kick – and a late strike from Gary Hooper ensured coupons were not burst, and Lennon claimed: “We should have won by more.

“Shaun took his goals well, and it was fantastic finish from Hooper. We’re looking for a little more from him, and I definitely think there is more to come, as there is from a few others.”

Forster is not included in that list. If he continues to perform, the manager will be a happy man – until that window re-opens in January, at any rate.

Promising.

It's a shame there isn't enough room for both him & Krul at the club long term, but both will have excellent careers, luckily for us, we'll have one of them.

Hope he gets the no.1 shirt next summer.

Him getting the no.1 shirt would mean that Krul hasn't been up to it over the next 3 months. I'd prefer Krul to put a string of top performances, and win us points this season and earn the number 1 shirt.

Surely there is no way we'll let him go permanently...

I'd be f***ing furious if we did.

One of them will go it's inevitable and can't blame the player or club for whichever leaves.

Surely there is no way we'll let him go permanently...

I'd be f***ing furious if we did.

One of them will go it's inevitable and can't blame the player or club for whichever leaves.

Possibly if they fulfil their potential but I'd hope it would be after 2011/12 season at least. Hopefully Harper will jog on at the end of this and leave them to fight it out for the number 1 spot.

Although I like Krul purely from a selfish POV I'd prefer to see Forster make it with him being a local lad.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Why wouldn't we be smart enough to get them both to sign 5 year deals now at decent wages then continually loan one out (maybe not the same one) every season?

Pretty sure they've both just signed 4 year deals.

Why wouldn't we be smart enough to get them both to sign 5 year deals now at decent wages then continually loan one out (maybe not the same one) every season?

Pretty sure they've both just signed 4 year deals.

Good, nowt to cry about then. All footballers care about is playing and getting paid. We should use the next 4 years to assess which is the best conclusively by sending one on loan for first team football and playing the other one.

• 3 weeks later...