Fraser Forster

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Don't think we should sell for £1.5m.

Harper's been a great servant but is starting to look past it, for me it should be a straight fight between Krul and Forster for the jersey next year.

I can see Celtic's logic though. They're probably aware that Krul has now been capped by Holland so reckon we'll be favouring him next season, so Forster might want a move. 1 year left on his contract, could realistically expect to get him for that when they could figure he'll be unhappy staying with us when he thinks he'll be warming the bench.

Another reason to think of Harper as a hindrance.

I don't think either Krul or Forster would be happy to be on the bench next season tbh. It's nice to think of them battling for the shirt but they'll both demand starts now and we won't be chopping and changing every week (and rightly so).

Harper will probably reprise the role he has had for a long time.

I don't think either Krul or Forster would be happy to be on the bench next season tbh. Harper will probably reprise the role he has for a long time.

This is it for me. Krul's got the taste for the number 1 shirt now plus he's arguably Holland's second choice now too, Forster's had the taste of first team football with Celtic, they've both outgrown the stage where they'll be prepared to fight for a jersey when either one could leave for a fairly decent club and be number 1.

I would be lovely to have him come back and act as able deputy to Krul for the next few years but realistically that's never going to happen. The Given/Harper situation came about because Harps lacked the ambition to look elsewhere when Shay had a stranglehold on the number 1 shirt. Forster has already made it pretty clear that he's not willing to sit on the bench because it doesn't benefit him or the club. Farming him out on loan yet again probably wont solve the situation because he's approaching an age where he'll want stability so he can focus on his game. I'd let him go permanantly if Celtic came back with an offer closer to £3 million.

The problem is, when Harper retires (next summer?) we'll have went from 3 to 1 and so be in the market for another keeper. Its a difficult situation to manage because the best thing for the club is to loan him out again, but as others have said he won't want to come back and be #2.

I don't think either Krul or Forster would be happy to be on the bench next season tbh. It's nice to think of them battling for the shirt but they'll both demand starts now and we won't be chopping and changing every week (and rightly so).

Harper will probably reprise the role he has for a long time.

Totally agree. It's been worryingly obvious since Given left that Harper is automatically the number 1 and will be until he either retires or agrees to step aside. One of them will need to go and it's sad to say that it's almost guaranteed that it wont be Harper.

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Well, if Jak Alnwick can sort his kicking and handling out, he'll be a decent #2 in a year or two.

The problem is, when Harper retires (next summer?) we'll have went from 3 to 1 and so be in the market for another keeper. Its a difficult situation to manage because the best thing for the club is to loan him out again, but as others have said he won't want to come back and be #2.

Depends how highly Ole Soderberg and Jak Alnwick are rated I suppose.

All clubs are like that though. We've just been jammy as fuck that for the last 15 years we've had Srnicek & Hislop, then Given & Harper, and now Harper, Krul & Forster. I think we show our trust in Krul now, tell him he's the first choice keeper and let Harper act as back up for the next season or two.

Suprised by how many on there are not unhappy as such (though question the clubs ambition to an extent), but not exactly raving about the bloke.

"solid if unspectacular", "£1.5m a fair price",

"not a fan", "take him as back up, with a better first choice",

"Major dissappointment", "there is definitely a lack of trust towards him and people expect him to make mistakes",

"Despite his size, he doesn't sufficiently command his goal area or back 4 and rarely seems to be willing to leave his line for corners. His kicking is patchy and the lad looks terrified any time he's put under pressure with the ball at his feet and an opposition forward closing him down.",

"I don't feel 100% comfortable with him in goal. He will do OK. I have no doubt about that. I am dissappointed at the ambition shown on here".

There are also many fairly to very positive comments, but just surprised there would be any negativity considering the impression I got on their boards midway through the season.

General concensus seems to be - Yeah, get him in, "He's young and a bit rough round the edges and he seems to have all the personality of a half brick, but he's a reliable goalkeeper who we can trust not to go chucking goals in left, right and centre whilst he learns his trade.", and that for the price, stick with the lad and he'll be with Celtic for years and could be a shrewd buy, rather than bringing Given in for 2. For the money paid, we won't get much better. Neither excited or disappointed.

Feeling like I'll be much less pissed if he does leave now at least after reading their comments.

Got to say though, I'd still really like to see him to stay and actually play a few games for us after so many years getting excited about his progression. :undecided:

1.5 million.  Fuck off.

bit harsh man, they're like some scroungers sitting on the pavement with a half empty bottle of buckfast bemoaning what could have been atm - they only have 75p for that 3 quid bottle of buckie so it's surely worth a try from their perspective

Suprised by how many on there are not unhappy as such (though question the clubs ambition to an extent), but not exactly raving about the bloke.

"solid if unspectacular", "£1.5m a fair price",

"not a fan", "take him as back up, with a better first choice",

"Major dissappointment", "there is definitely a lack of trust towards him and people expect him to make mistakes",

"Despite his size, he doesn't sufficiently command his goal area or back 4 and rarely seems to be willing to leave his line for corners. His kicking is patchy and the lad looks terrified any time he's put under pressure with the ball at his feet and an opposition forward closing him down.",

"I don't feel 100% comfortable with him in goal. He will do OK. I have no doubt about that. I am dissappointed at the ambition shown on here".

There are also many fairly to very positive comments, but just surprised there would be any negativity considering the impression I got on their boards midway through the season.

General concensus seems to be - Yeah, get him in, "He's young and a bit rough round the edges and he seems to have all the personality of a half brick, but he's a reliable goalkeeper who we can trust not to go chucking goals in left, right and centre whilst he learns his trade.", and that for the price, stick with the lad and he'll be with Celtic for years and could be a shrewd buy, rather than bringing Given in for 2. For the money paid, we won't get much better. Neither excited or disappointed.

Feeling like I'll be much less pissed if he does leave now at least after reading their comments.

Got to say though, I'd still really like to see him to stay and actually play a few games for us after so many years getting excited about his progression. :undecided:

Bit of an eye opener that.

don't see ashley selling for that myself, unless he's being told the lad won't make it

That's basically it for me, unless we're convinced he's not good enough we would be mad to sell him now for that price. He could be the next Joe Hart in a couple of years and worth £10m.

don't see ashley selling for that myself, unless he's being told the lad won't make it

That's basically it for me, unless we're convinced he's not good enough we would be mad to sell him now for that price. He could be the next Joe Hart in a couple of years and worth £10m.

Isn't Foster rated at 9m too? Would'nt sell for so low unless we had some good clauses in there.