Fraser Forster

Guest Alan Shearer 9

If Forster was worth more I'm sure there's be a rush for him. Think he's been slightly overrated after good seasons in a team which walked League One who then won promotion again even without him,and a season in a two horse race in a league which is worsening each year.

If Forster was worth more I'm sure there's be a rush for him. Think he's been slightly overrated after good seasons in a team which walked League One who then won promotion again even without him,and a season in a two horse race in a league which is worsening each year.

Probably spot on, and as has been pointed out, he's far from having no critics up here.  I can't really remember what it was, but I remember him being all over the back pages for a blunder or two during the season.

Isn't Foster rated at 9m too? Would'nt sell for so low unless we had some good clauses in there.

Not sure where you're getting the £9m from, but I agree that if we did sell I hope we'd have some kind of buy back, or at the very least a sell on clause. Not that I wan't us to sell in the slightest mind.

I've never seen him play, so I've no idea how good he is TBH. But the fact he's completed a full first team season for a club as big as Celtic must make him worth more than £1.5m.

So why are there Celtic fans baulking at paying even that then? Even the most enthusiastic on the forums wouldn't want to go over £2m for the big lad.

Rejected:

News:

Neil Lennon has confirmed that Celtic have had a bid rejected for Newcastle's Fraser Forster.

Good news I suppose. Can't say I've seen much of him, but really now that he's had first team football for the last two seasons, can't see him coming back here just to sit on the bench (especially if Krul is number 1 next season).

So really, a move might be best for him.............another loan to Celtic will do me like.

Guest Brazilianbob

Thank gooness they have rejected the bid.  as far as I am concerned he is on a par with Krul and with Harper getting on in years I just don't see the point in letting him go, unless jak Alnwick is rated to come through strongly nerxt season.

:lol: It isn't that unrealistic if you think of it. Celtic must be close to Forster's valuation and it shouldn't take much more for the club to accept the bid. And Forster isn't one of the indispensible/important players tbf. Not that I want him to go but if he does, the club will still have Harper and Krul.

Guest CheickMansour

I would be lovely to have him come back and act as able deputy to Krul for the next few years but realistically that's never going to happen. The Given/Harper situation came about because Harps lacked the ambition to look elsewhere when Shay had a stranglehold on the number 1 shirt. Forster has already made it pretty clear that he's not willing to sit on the bench because it doesn't benefit him or the club. Farming him out on loan yet again probably wont solve the situation because he's approaching an age where he'll want stability so he can focus on his game. I'd let him go permanantly if Celtic came back with an offer closer to £3 million.

To be fair, didn't Harps say that he was constantly looking for other opportunities during his time on the bench? It's just that he never kicked up a fuss when they didn't go through.

:lol: It isn't that unrealistic if you think of it. Celtic must be close to Forster's valuation and it shouldn't take much more for the club to accept the bid. And Forster isn't one of the indispensible/important players tbf. Not that I want him to go but if he does, the club will still have Harper and Krul.

Must they?

I would be lovely to have him come back and act as able deputy to Krul for the next few years but realistically that's never going to happen. The Given/Harper situation came about because Harps lacked the ambition to look elsewhere when Shay had a stranglehold on the number 1 shirt. Forster has already made it pretty clear that he's not willing to sit on the bench because it doesn't benefit him or the club. Farming him out on loan yet again probably wont solve the situation because he's approaching an age where he'll want stability so he can focus on his game. I'd let him go permanantly if Celtic came back with an offer closer to £3 million.

To be fair, didn't Harps say that he was constantly looking for other opportunities during his time on the bench? It's just that he never kicked up a fuss when they didn't go through.

To be honest though he's hardly going to say otherwise is he? In Sir Bobby's autobiography he talks about how they made Harper so well paid because the club and Harper knew he was number 2, so paid him more than the going rate to keep him.

Newcastle United have told Celtic that Fraser Forster is not for sale after the Scottish Premier League club tabled a bid of £1.5m for the goalkeeper.

Celtic manager Neil Lennon has confirmed he has made an approach for the 23-year-old, who spent last season on loan in Glasgow.

And he remains hopeful of persuading the Barclays Premier League club to part with the goalkeeper.

Forster made 44 appearances for Celtic as they finished runners-up last term.

United manager Alan Pardew last month cast doubt on the benefits for the player of another loan spell in SPL.

"We've been disappointed with the quality of the games, other than the occasional Rangers versus Celtic game, and even some of those have been poor," he was quoted as saying.

Forster managed 24 clean-sheets during the course of a campaign that ended with victory in the Scottish Cup final against Motherwell at Hampden.

Lennon sees him as the man to continue in the Celtic goal when they kick-off their new season away to Hibernian.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/teams/c/celtic/9520475.stm

Hope that's true and we aren't just holding out for a slightly better offer.  O0