Fraser Forster

Guest Alan Shearer 9

Scott Wilson from the Echo:

Interesting chat with Steve Harper earlier today. #NUFC fans will be pleased to hear he's got absolutely no intention of going anywhere.

The Scottish papers have been full of talk linking him to Celtic but he knocked it back very firmly.

Scott Wilson from the Echo:

Interesting chat with Steve Harper earlier today. #NUFC fans will be pleased to hear he's got absolutely no intention of going anywhere.

The Scottish papers have been full of talk linking him to Celtic but he knocked it back very firmly.

no one wants to go to scotland these days do they

http://www.dailystar.co.uk/football/view/144619/Steve-Harper-I-won-t-turn-my-back-on-Newcastle-/

LONG-SERVING keeper Steve Harper has pledged his future to Newcastle.

Celtic have been linked with Harper, 35, but he is only interested in cementing the Toon’s place back in the top flight.

He said last night: “I have waited years for the opportunity of first-team football with Newcastle United in the Premier League so I’m not going to turn my back on it now.

“I still have a couple of years left on my contract and I am looking to play on for as long as possible.

“I’ve only played around 200 first-team games and, if I can get that up to 400, that would be fantastic.”

another 200 games? hmmm ok. looks like it wont be just one more season for him.

He has one more season with us as #1, then the following season I see him on the bench behind krul/fraser.

That's how I think it'll pan out and I have no problems with that at all :)

Guest toonlass

He's not going to Celtic, and even though I am not his biggest fan, he is a grumpy bloke in real life, I think he will not be the weakest link in this team this season.

He has one more season with us as #1, then the following season I see him on the bench behind krul/fraser.

That's how I think it'll pan out and I have no problems with that at all :)

Would be more than happy with that... we'll need to introduce one of them in the cups this season too, ideally.

Looks like Forster could be off to Burnley on loan. If he can nail down his place, this could be a brilliant move for him and us. Would do him the world of good being in a potential Championship promotion contending side.

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2010/07/17/burnley-claim-fraser-forster-deal-61634-26871336/?

Burnley claim Fraser Forster deal

Jul 17 2010 by Mark Douglas, The Journal

BURNLEY boss Brian Laws says he has agreed a deal to sign Newcastle United’s highly-rated young goalkeeper Fraser Forster on a season-long loan.

Chris Hughton is eager for 22-year-old Forster (pictured left) to get more first-team experience and believes a loan spell in the Championship will enable him to progress after a successful term in League One with Norwich last season.

Burnley are expected to be among the second tier’s front-runners and a move to Turf Moor, where Forster will challenge current number one Brian Jensen, makes sense for both parties.

Reports in the North West claimed that Burnley held talks with Forster after United returned from their Dublin training camp on Wednesday, and Laws said he is confident that a deal has been agreed.

But Forster has been included in the Newcastle party set to travel to Carlisle today, and the Clarets may have to wait another fortnight for the deal to go through. The Championship side are in Singapore as part of their pre-season preparations next week and it now looks unlikely that the young goalkeeper will be on board in time for that.

“Everything has been agreed, but there is a hiccup at his parent club that needs to be resolved and we hope that can happen soon,” Laws said.

While Forster looks set to leave United, fellow young gun Ryan Donaldson is preparing to lead the line for England’s under-19 side as they kick off their European Championship campaign against Austria. The striker, who made his Newcastle debut last season, has one goal in six appearances for his country.

Meanwhile, Andy Carroll has played down talk of him inheriting Newcastle United’s famous number nine shirt ahead of the Premier League campaign.

The number was left vacant last term but Caroll, who finished last season as the club’s top scorer, looks set to take the shirt this season.

He says his priority is to continue to mine the rich vein of form that he ended last season in.

“I just want to score the goals that I know I can,” he said. “It’s not just goals, I want to help the team in every way I can, which I also know I can do. What I need to do is pick up where I left off.

“I still feel that I have a lot to learn, but playing the full season last season, playing week in, week out, has brought me on a lot.

“It gave me the experience of playing with all the lads too. I wouldn’t say I’m a senior player, but I’m not one of the youngest players either.”

Harper is on his way this week, its against his wishes and all down to loyalty bonuses and the possibility of having to fork out for a testimonial. James in currently in advanced talks however whether we can match what hes looking for is a sore point.

:undecided:

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

Harper is on his way this week, its against his wishes and all down to loyalty bonuses and the possibility of having to fork out for a testimonial. James in currently in advanced talks however whether we can match what hes looking for is a sore point.

Was told about this last week by the Pompy Researcher.

David James to Newcastle

Steve Harper to Celtic

Merry-go-round fest ahoy, according to the Pompy Researcher.

Guest icemanblue

Bad craic, that.

Even if he left I'm pretty sure he'd be entitled to a testimonial anyway a la Beardsley. Wouldn't surprise me in the slightest if next May we saw yet anothe Celtic game here. As for loyalty bonus, these things happen. I don't think anyone's ever put a gun to his head forcing him to stay (pre 2006 anyway). Even if the personal reasons for selling were bad, from a purely football point of view I'd consider it a good move.

Bad craic, that.

Regardless of what people think of Harper's ability, if true that's absolutely disgusting behaviour on our part.

Guest Roger Kint

surely harper could just say no to a move if hes not happy about it, and i didnt think the club picked up the bill for testimonials.... Which wouldnt be a great deal anyway.

Was just thinking that. How does the club lose out on a testimonial? Surely all parties make money on it.

surely harper could just say no to a move if hes not happy about it, and i didnt think the club picked up the bill for testimonials.... Which wouldnt be a great deal anyway.

Was just thinking that. How does the club lose out on a testimonial? Surely all parties make money on it.

This, and i don't think James will be asking for less that what Harper is already getting paid, bullshit imo..