Newcastle 4 - 1 Celtic (friendly) - Post match thoughts from page 29

Karjala
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

Geremi man of the match so far. Everything is going though him. Good touch and strong on the ball. Decisive and accurate passing. It is making everyones job easier Solano and Butt in particular. Get's the ball to Solano in space everytime for Solano to whip in the crosses. No hesitating. my God, I hate to sound over excited but Geremi might be the signing of the summer if he replicates this in the premiership. This is the play we badly needed from Parker but he just wouldn't stop spinning around!

Luque took his goals confidently, but both crosses to him were absolute peaches. Great stuff. Martins' was a hell of a finish - was almost a carbon copy of his 2nd against Alkmaar.

Geremi looks like the playmaker we've been missing, at the moment atleast.

Shocking at the back, though.

Guest optimistic nit

Geremi man of the match so far. Everything is going though him. Good touch and strong on the ball. Decisive and accurate passing. It is making everyones job easier Solano and Butt in particular. Get's the ball to Solano in space everytime for Solano to whip in the crosses. No hesitating. my God, I hate to sound over excited but Geremi might be the signing of the summer if he replicates this in the premiership. This is the play we badly needed from Parker but he just wouldn't stop spinning around!

what are you on? Solano MOTM so far, followed by Butt. Geremi has been ok to good. lost the ball a couple of times, a few bad passes, got in the way of butt once or twice as well iirc but apart from that he's been good. i'm not saying he's been poor, because he hasn't, but the above is crazy talk.

Carr and Luque have been poor unforunately. Luque seems to lack all confidence when he has the ball at his feet, Carr has improved, but no better than average. a few poor headers from left wing crosses iirc. Still much better than he was under roeder, but still not that good.

Both of luque's goals were taken very well though. both volleys from crosses, the first is very hard to keep down imo. both have been pretty near the keeper, but they have been very good technical volleys, kept them down well.

Okay some half time observations.

Celtic are allowing us to build from the back by placing our defenders under limited pressure (making Carr look excellent) with a couple notable exceptions - Jan veeeeennnnnneeeegoooooooooor of hesselinktownplace (you should see the back of his shirt - it's funny) who is actually putting our CBs under a bit of pressure. Carr and Luque look good in this game which leads me to think that Celtic are doing something horribly wrong.

Luque's goals were well taken but to be fair Milner and especially Nobby's cross were outstandingly good.

RE: Nobby - we joke about players being overweight but does anyone else think that Nobby looks a bit too thin? He says he's in the shape of his life right now but to me he looks a stone too light. He is playing well so I'll leave the eating habits to him and Big Sam's team. For someone who is supposedly on his last legs he is putting in serious running.

Our movement in general is excellent right now - not a lot of hoofing it with our midfield running out wide continuously. Big Sam and the team are doing something interesting during training and/or Celtic are playing aweful.

Guest Andrew Flintoff

Despite my hatred for Carr, his forward runs have been the reason Nobby has been MoM in my opinion

Enjoyable first half.  Impressed with Geremi,  he's looked rather handy :thup:

Pleased for Luque too.  He didn't know what to do when he scored the first one :D  Martins was a nice first time finish,  too.

Riding on the seat of our pants a bit in defence.. fullbacks the main problem, heaping extra pressure on the centre.

Rosehnal looks impressive, Ramage hasnt done badly. Look very good passing.

Midfield working well coming forward, working hard but not 100% effective on the defensive side, still quite physical which is nice to see.

Luque is obviously way short of fitness but looks suprisingly good, some nice tackles-(yes tackles) still the odd dodgy control, same with Martins.

Sam has been on the phone for 45mins. Dyer sitting with Owen in the crowd.

Im loving it, watching at work! woo.

Luque's movement to get the two goals has been great. It is when he is in open space that you see the problems he is having . That leg just doesn't seem to be at full strength. He doesn't have any strength in his lower body, and the pace he had seems to be completely gone. Kinda sad to see. hope he can get fitter and better healed up.