Sam wants to see the real Luque

Newcastle Fan

SAM Allardyce wants to see the real Albert Luque emerge under his management at Nwecastle United.

Following the Spanish striker's two-goal show in the 4-1 friendly hammering of Celtic at St. James' Park, Allardyce revealed that he had followed Luque's career closely but could not afford to buy him from Real Mallorca when manager of Bolton Wanderers.

Big Sam said: "I knew more about Albert Luque than I did about Oba Martins because I've been watching Albert Luque since he was a young lad at Real Mallorca, which is about seven years ago now.

"He was playing alongside Samuel Eto'o at Real Mallorca and I remember saying at the time that I would like to buy those two but they were out of my price range at Bolton.

"It's always been interesting for me to see how they developed ? it was strange to see Albert Luque at Newcastle and never playing. It was up to me to try and find out why- that's my job as a manager.

"At the moment we are just trying to get him fit. If we can get him fit he will feel better physically and mentally and then we will see what he can produce because he will be better able to do it more often.

"It's up to him whether he wants to continue through the pain barrier, as he has been doing in the past few weeks.

"When he is fit it will help his mental state and the football talent will emerge."

from .cock

he trys but luque is a donkey on the pitch

45 mins, two goals..

Haven't lost a single game he started under Roeder last season

Not saying he's a world beater but he did nothing to deserve the treatment given to him by that fucking nut Glenn Roeder, and i am really hoping Allardyce uses him well and get the real Albert Luque to play for Newcastle

Guest Knightrider

Did very well tonight I thought, he looked sharper, quicker, worked harder and looked as committed as any of them. He still lacks that required strength though and his general game is still missing too. Took his goals well though and had a cracking effort sail just over from a left-footed half volley. If he was a new signing, we'd all be licking our lips at the moment and very excited.

I knew Big Sam would see Luque as a challenge and if any manager can get the best out of him, Sam can. Luque has always needed a run of games and to prove his fitness first, with Sam he'll get that, then it's up to him to show an improvement in his game and a commitment to play for the club (which can only come from him). If not he'll be out the team before his arse touches the ground and no-one can have any complaints.

It hasn't escaped me that another doomed to fail player kick-started his Toon career with a pre-season friendly brace this time last year, lets hope the same can happen for Luque because he's a good player and we did pay a lot of money for him.

Isn't it just pleasing though that we have a manager willing to work with other people's mess for the good of the club? Big Sam could have easily peddled Luque or decided not to bother himself, especially giving the task he has already in turning us around, never mind one player. So refreshing.

Anyway, I'll stick my neck out and write here and now that Luque will turn his Newcastle career around, maybe not to the extent that warranted his transfer fee, but enough to get something back in return. In short he'll contribute and become a handy squad player if anything.

I hope so anyway.

If he overtakes Ameobi to become our 4th choice striker he'd have exceeded expectations.

Sam described himself as being a natural pessimist, being a defender by nature. If he's a pessimist, that makes you a potential suicide victim by comparison.

"It's up to him whether he wants to continue through the pain barrier, as he has been doing in the past few weeks.

"When he is fit it will help his mental state and the football talent will emerge."

That bit is a bit weird to me! Is Luque still slightly injured then or what? Because it did kind of look that way at times.

That bit is a bit weird to me! Is Luque still slightly injured then or what? Because it did kind of look that way at times.

No, man, he's just been a total stroller for 2 years.

Guest khyberpass

Well hopefully he wont be benched like Roeder did to him after scoring a couple of good goals in pre/early season last year!

Pleased for the fella...really hope he regains former glories. If he does, he has the class to be a  1st 11 player, AND a genuine goal threat/provider...something we are sadly lacking from midfield..

Geremi was surprisingly bloody good!

What's the deal with Nicky Butt's injury?

Goo on Luque Lucky...show us ya ball skills! (not like Bernard I might add!)

Did very well tonight I thought, he looked sharper, quicker, worked harder and looked as committed as any of them. He still lacks that required strength though and his general game is still missing too. Took his goals well though and had a cracking effort sail just over from a left-footed half volley. If he was a new signing, we'd all be licking our lips at the moment and very excited.

I knew Big Sam would see Luque as a challenge and if any manager can get the best out of him, Sam can. Luque has always needed a run of games and to prove his fitness first, with Sam he'll get that, then it's up to him to show an improvement in his game and a commitment to play for the club (which can only come from him). If not he'll be out the team before his arse touches the ground and no-one can have any complaints.

It hasn't escaped me that another doomed to fail player kick-started his Toon career with a pre-season friendly brace this time last year, lets hope the same can happen for Luque because he's a good player and we did pay a lot of money for him.

Isn't it just pleasing though that we have a manager willing to work with other people's mess for the good of the club? Big Sam could have easily peddled Luque or decided not to bother himself, especially giving the task he has already in turning us around, never mind one player. So refreshing.

Anyway, I'll stick my neck out and write here and now that Luque will turn his Newcastle career around, maybe not to the extent that warranted his transfer fee, but enough to get something back in return. In short he'll contribute and become a handy squad player if anything.

I hope so anyway.

The way Sam works Luque will have every chance to turn it around. His runs off the ball for both goals were intelligent.

I thought it was the same old Luque last night. The ability is there but he lacks commitment and he allowed himself to be bullied off the ball too often.

Yes, he is capable of better, but he looks like he'd rather be elsewhere. I think that's why his team mates are so fed up with him.

Guest Gemmill

If he doesn't take his chance this time, he wants his face kicking in.  By the look of it he's getting the arm-round-the-shoulder treatment.  Hopefully this works and we can get some use out of him.  Contrary to popular belief, I've never wanted him to be a failure - I just wasn't prepared to pretend that he wasn't one.

I thought it was the same old Luque last night. The ability is there but he lacks commitment and he allowed himself to be bullied off the ball too often.

Yes, he is capable of better, but he looks like he'd rather be elsewhere. I think that's why his team mates are so fed up with him.

Im not sure I agree with the lack of commitment thing, he won the ball back quite a few times (a few he himself lost) and did try and close down a lot of balls coming out of defence.

He does go quiet a fair bit though. He seems to have very good instincts in the box though. He looks the sort of player who would get you a number of goals through the season but when he isn't scoring he isnt really doing anything.

Im not sure I agree with the lack of commitment thing, he won the ball back quite a few times (a few he himself lost) and did try and close down a lot of balls coming out of defence.

He does go quiet a fair bit though. He seems to have very good instincts in the box though. He looks the sort of player who would get you a number of goals through the season but when he isn't scoring he isnt really doing anything.

I must have missed that. My memory is that when he lost the ball, he showed no reaction at all.

He won the ball back twice at least.

If he plays poor but scores 2 goals every game I won't have any complaints.

Guest Gemmill

He won the ball back twice at least.

If he plays poor but scores 2 goals every game I won't have any complaints.

But that is and always will be a stupid argument.  If he plays shit he's not gonna be scoring 2 goals every game is he?

He looks the sort of player who would get you a number of goals through the season but when he isn't scoring he isnt really doing anything.

That's a spot on description of Michael Owen, tbf.

When Luque is anonymous he can still pull a set piece out of the hat.  Good free kick and corner taker.

Even if Luque does do well it won't change the fact he cost £9.5m and played like a cunt without legs for two years. I really hope he does start to do well though.

Didn`t he get a really serverly torn hamstring. I`m sure I read it couldn`t have been any worse.  

Obviously Sam wants to up his fitness levels and by all accounts he appears to be putting in a lot more effort. A plaqyer who can score goals is an asset IF he can get maintain a good attitude.