Dyer's replacement

TRon

I think Troisi has shown enough to be at least considered as a good cover option. With injuries to Barton, Duff, Emre, Butt from last night, he seems like he could be in contention for a game or two?

People seem to forget how ineffective Emre has been since he came here - I would say with the Barton injury in particular, we desperately need another midfielder.

Fair point, but he's one I have a lot of hope for under better management.

Hopefully, I still feel this is the perfect time to find a more 'playmaker' type midfielder - if there is one of course and I'm not sure there is.  Emre's final ball has been very poor since he came here, Barton is more a box to box type player, Butt is a defensive midlfielder and I'm not quite sure what Geremi would be in the centre.

I don't think its the end of the world but I still feel with our injury record that we will end up being short of quality if we don't get someone else in.

Right wing: Solano, Milner

Left wing: N'Zogbia, Duff

Centre: Barton, Butt, Geremi, Emre

Up front: Owen, Viduka, Martins, Ameobi, Carroll, Luque, Harper

We are fairly well covered if we do lose him tbf.  Also if (I bloody hope so) we get a few more defenders in Rozy can cover as a DM, given his silky skills (the turn which led to a freekick) he could play as an attacking mid  :razz:

Agreed, we badly need a LB, CB and RB before anywhere else.

To those saying we don't need a replacement, I am just taking Sam at his word that we will need to buy one. I think there is a fair case that we have plenty of players who can cover till Barton's back. How many of them are genuine CM's though? Milner isn't, Emre isn't, not sure abot Geremi but I think he could do it.

James Troisi looked very good at Hartlepool, Carlisle and last night (Celtic)

i think he should be given a chance like this in the premiership if our injuries carry on like this

BUT ... we need one more defender and midfielder at least!

Guest black

Personally I'd like to see us sign Bastian Schweinsteiger if we're going to champ manager.

But we're more likely to end up with Zoltan Gera.

Right wing: Solano, Milner

Left wing: N'Zogbia, Duff

Centre: Barton, Butt, Geremi, Emre

Up front: Owen, Viduka, Martins, Ameobi, Carroll, Luque, Harper

We are fairly well covered if we do lose him tbf.  Also if (I bloody hope so) we get a few more defenders in Rozy can cover as a DM, given his silky skills (the turn which led to a freekick) he could play as an attacking mid  :razz:

problem with that is duff is out till christmas, Barton is out for two month min,we dont know when emre is back and when he is he will be severly lacking in match practice as will duff.

I think dyer is leaving to make way for ronaldinho. Oh and deco will sign as well.

Seriously though I think wright-phillips would be a top buy. Could play the 4-3-3 allardyce will want to play very easily

Guest Svenno

If Dyer is sold and Sam uses all the money to buy a defender I won't be complaining.

Would leave us a bit short in midfield I think

Agreed on Geremi, as you say it was only a friendly, but I was really impressed by his touch, control and vision.

Fingers crossed he doesn't go the way Nicky Butt did after his first few games for us!

It would be an interesting exercise to compare the number of midfielders (capable of playing first team football regularly rather than just occasionally filling in) with other premiership sides. From the list above I would say we've got 8 battling it out for 4 places.

Even without Dyer I bet we're not badly off in comparison to other squads with similar aspirations. I haven't actually gone through the exercise mind so I could be completely wrong!

Geremi will not be managed by Souness in a few games time, I think he'll be OK.

Guest 22bnw

The squad isn't big enough to lose anyone so Dyer will at least have to be replaced by August 31st. If Dyer goes to West Ham we could make Boa Morte part of the deal or if its Spurs Steed Malbranque or Danny Murphy. Fills up spaces with players that are more than good enough for now.

Agreed on Geremi, as you say it was only a friendly, but I was really impressed by his touch, control and vision.

Fingers crossed he doesn't go the way Nicky Butt did after his first few games for us!

It would be an interesting exercise to compare the number of midfielders (capable of playing first team football regularly rather than just occasionally filling in) with other premiership sides. From the list above I would say we've got 8 battling it out for 4 places.

Even without Dyer I bet we're not badly off in comparison to other squads with similar aspirations. I haven't actually gone through the exercise mind so I could be completely wrong!

Geremi will not be managed by Souness in a few games time, I think he'll be OK.

I thought Butt had a while at the club before Souness turned up?

still think we could do with a creative attacking midfielder, someone mentioned Diego, i'd like us to use the Dyer money to make a bid for him. and i also think we'd need to replace dyer's pace with a young squad player who could come on after an hour and stretch the opposition. Bouazza is a good shout, but maybe someone a bit faster who is able to play on the right.

I thought Butt had a while at the club before Souness turned up?

Pre-season and 4 or 5 games, he did OK under Robson in those early games when he did play.

Fair enough - for some reason I thought Butt had a season under Robson and then Souness came in.

My memory isn't the best like.

N'Zogbia___Butt____Geremi____Milner

Luque_____Butt____N'Zogbia___Milner

Milner_____Butt____N'Zogbia___Solano

Luque_____Butt____Geremi___Milner

I think theres decent options imo, Dyer dosent fit in when a few injuries clear up, we're better off selling him.