Newcastle 2 - 0 Juventus (friendly) - Post match thoughts from page 23

Dave

Cracking performances all round, except Huntington who got skinned about a zillion times.

This.

That right winger (can't remember who it was) was running rings around Huntington all first half, shows how much in dire need we are of a LB.

Geremi was a class above the rest in CM. He was barking orders and telling everybody where to go and what to do and starting moves, some canny passes etc.

They posed no real threat, they were quite poor, even against our youngsters in the 2nd half

Darkhorse for captain?

Possibly.

From what I saw of him today, I wouldn't say no to him being captain.

Cracking performances all round, except Huntington who got skinned about a zillion times.

This.

That right winger (can't remember who it was) was running rings around Huntington all first half, shows how much in dire need we are of a LB.

Geremi was a class above the rest in CM. He was barking orders and telling everybody where to go and what to do and starting moves, some canny passes etc.

They posed no real threat, they were quite poor, even against our youngsters in the 2nd half

Darkhorse for captain?

Possibly.

From what I saw of him today, I wouldn't say no to him being captain.

Absolutely. Have no idea what our first choice team is anymore. I had him in pencilled in for right back tbh.

Given - 7 - Didn't have too much to do as most of the shots went flying over the bar, but made a few very good saves.

Carr - 6 - Did what had to be done.

Ramage - 6 - Not excellent, but was at the right place most of the time. Looked better when Roz was taken off.

Rozehnal - 6 - Didn't have much to do, but was composed and rarely lost the ball.

Huntington - 5 - Playing out of position yet again, and still struggling in one-on-one situations.

Solano - 7 - Great passes and nice movement. Him and Geremi worked very good together.

Geremi - 7 - Didn't put a foot wrong, but didn't have the same impact like last game. Had to be more defensive here.

N'Zogbia - 8 - Made some nice runs, linked up well with the rest of the team, looked hungry, and has improved alot since last season. Had a wicked shot in the second half, which just missed the top corner, and a nice free kick which was saved. My man of the match.

Milner - 8 - Nice runs, and beat his man a few times. Tried to get to the line instead of shooting this match. Won us a penalty.

Martins - 7 - Ready to grab his chance, but couldn't get a goal. All round play was good, but he should shoot earlier. Showed strength and a little trickery.

Luque - 6 - All round play was alot better than against celtic. Won a few challenges and was more involved. Was very determined to take the penalty, and luckily scored.

Troisi - 7 - Impressive. Looks like one of the kids who might make it. Not afraid to try and beat his man, and actually fended off 3 Juve players at the same time. Looked very good as a striker too.

Pattison - 5 - No idea why he is on the field. Had a few good runs, but that was about it...

Carroll - 8 - Very good goal and showed strength, flair and commitment. Straight up after Buffon charged at him.

Edgar - 6 - Did what was needed. Should've swapped with Huntington and played full back.

Dyer - 6 - Looked determined, but missed a sitter. Can't believe we actually played him when he could be off any day now.

Barnett - 6 - Didnt do much, but did ok on the wing. Looked promising, but needs more time.

Lough - 6 - Hardly touched the ball.

phew  :blush:

Guest Knightrider

No way there was 34K there like :lol: the whole L7 of the Milburn and Leazes was closed while there was large gaps in the other stands, although the majority of the Gallowgate where I was at was full.

Anyway to the match...

Given is looking sharp in goal, but his kicking is poor and he recognises this himself, he wasn't happy with his kicking at all - more hours on the training pitch Shay.

Carr looks slimmer, fitter and quicker, but the poor touch and "ave it" attitude is still there. Did well I thought at both ends and put in a few crunching tackles.

Ramage won quite a few balls in the air during the first half and had a solid game from where I sat, although on the ball he was shocking.

Rozehnal impressed once again, he seems to read danger very well and is deceptively quick. He's also a good communicator/organiser and had a few words of encouragement for poor Huntington which was nice to see. I like very much based on what I've seen, could be a really good signing.

Huntington had a mare, slow, weak, poor on the ball and generally looking way out of his depth. He tried hard of course but playing him at LB especially against opposition like Juventus will do him more harm than good in the long run. I certainly felt for him, you could see the disappointment etched on his face whenever he got skinned which was quite a bit.

Nobby didn't have the best of games but worked hard and tried to get involved.

Geremi once again stood out, he's going to be a fine signing with his work rate, intelligence, power and pace. He is also a good communicator and helped N'Zogbia out a few times whenever the Frenchman was dilly dallying on the ball and looking like he was going to waste possession.

N'Zogbia started off slowly but came into his own and put in a very good performance, he looks sharp and up for it and caused them a lot of problems when running at them. Arguably the most dangerous player on our books with the ball at his feet and space ahead of him to run into. He certainly seemed to enjoy himself and looks reasonably happy.

Milner was again very good, this time on the left, he caused Juventus all kinds of problems and his work rate as ever was tremendous, surely the fittest player at the club. He too is looking very dangerous.

Luque, being so far away up top from where I was sitting, it was hard to tell how he performed, he won a few headers and seemed to be in the thick of it before going off, took his penalty well and he was the first to say "mine" - good hunger, I like it.

Martins, again like Luque it was hard to tell how well he performed from where I sat (first row of the Gallowgate exactly behind the goal), but he seemed to pop up everywhere and seemed to use his pace a lot, made some good sweeping passes either side of him as well and when Carrol came on, linked up well once or twice.

Subs:

Carroll, didn't really see his goal, thought it was someone else who scored, pleased for the lad. Seemed to win a few balls in the air during the first half. After the break I got a better view and I like what I saw, seems an intelligent forward who thinks about things, obviously good in the air, but decent on the deck too, some neat turns and deft touches, physically strong too. Looks a prospect and these outings will be doing him the world of good.

Edgar, seemed to slot in fine and I counted a few good clearances with his head and one or two good bits of passing from him. Looks a far better prospect than Huntington.

Pattison looked slow and out of his depth, he got forward well but often got himself stuck either in two minds or dilly dallied thus losing the ball. Poor first touch at times too. Worked hard though as they all did really.

Troisi looks a smart player, not the strongest but seems to have this way of ghosting into positions and his brain also seems quite quick for his age, his touch is assured too. He looks a tidy player and stood out at times. I like.

Dyer changed the pace of the game for us which had slowed down, when he came on. He ran at them and caused them problems, his passing was also pretty good, especially as most of it was on the move. Should have scored from a move he created but hit a tame shot at Buffon and when he did score with a cheeky backheel right in front of us, it was ruled out. Looked sharp and full of running. If he is to stay, his best role for us in coming on from the bench.

Lough and Barnet looked like bous against men, which is what they are and hardly got involved, not that I could make out who was who, one of them used his pace to good effect by getting to the byline and sending in a couple of crosses.

Other things...

That was a strange Juventus team, so used to seeing the likes of Thuram, Del Piero and all their other CL stars play, I didn't know what to make of them. They looked physically strong and quite fresh, and they had their moments, but were poor in general I thought, we were good value for our win.

Our defence despite not being the greatest individually was hard to break down and you can cleary see the effect Big Sam has had on them in that aspect as they were all highly focused, knew their jobs and communicated well with one another, which also seems to be another feature under Sam, they were all talking or gesticulating which is a good sign.

The fitness levels and work rate were excellent and we seem pretty fit if not fully match sharp which is promising, again you can see the effect Sam and his training has had. This time last year against Villarreal or PSV, we looked off the pace quite a bit as did one or two players, today though they all seemed spot on. The next two friendlies should bring us around to a level of fitness that will put us in good stead for Bolton.

Our football at times, or rather our ball retention was very pleasing, we played it about excellently, especially in midfield, nice controlled and patient play. We sat back a bit after the break and we weren't really doing anything at times but we looked capable of causing problems, especially whenever Zoggy, Dyer or Carroll were involved.

All in all well worth the money and effort and I'm seeing some good signs and the effects of Big Sam already. It's becoming a cliche now but if we were to add some quality defenders, we could do really well.

Guest tonydixon

we  didnt deserve to be 2-0 up at half time imo as i thought juventus were the better team. however i thought juventus were poor in the 2nd half and we deserved the win just because of our 2nd half performance tbh imo ty

Guest Knightrider

we  didnt deserve to be 2-0 up at half time imo as i thought juventus were the better team. however i thought juventus were poor in the 2nd half and we deserved the win just because of our 2nd half performance tbh imo ty

I thought we were better in the first half and overall, well worth the win. Juventus resorted to a lot of long balls or aimless balls to the flanks, yet their forward line wasn't the hardest working one, Nedved seemed a bit pissed off at times, who was their best player, although clearly past his best now. I liked their number 4 and thought Zebina who we've been linked with in the past played well.

How s*** is Trezegeut these days?  ;D

We were the better team by far and I had a tenner on us @10/1 to win 2-0.  :clap2:

Gonna put the winnings on Cork to beat the mackems 7-0 tomorrow and Keano to get caught with his trolleys round his ankles in Battersea Dogs Home the day after.

Guest Knightrider

How shit is Trezegeut these days?  ;D

We were the better team by far and I had a tenner on us @10/1 to win 2-0.  :clap2:

Pure shite, I'd honestly rather have Ameobi. He was shocking and very lazy. Easy day for Ramage says it all.

Pure shite, I'd honestly rather have Ameobi. He was shocking and very lazy. Easy day for Ramage says it all.

Gold.

I found the second half more enjoyable despite the lack of goals.

Our play on the deck was subime at times.  Stringing passes together like the Argies.  Zoggy was immense in this regard starting the rush. 

I found the second half more enjoyable despite the lack of goals.

Our play on the deck was subime at times.  Stringing passes together like the Argies.  Zoggy was immense in this regard starting the rush. 

I'm sure I've said this already, but it's some time since I've seen Newcastle looking like a professional team.

Gold.

I'd rather have Ameobi tbh. Both will get you ten goals max, but only one of them will be commited to the task. The other will ask for a bazillion gazumbas a week n'all.

Guest Knightrider

Gold.

I'd rather have Ameobi tbh. Both will get you ten goals max, but only one of them will be commited to the task. The other will ask for a bazillion gazumbas a week n'all.

Stop being sensible.