Faye signs three year deal

STM

I have seen him a few times but i have not exactly studied him that closely. Can anyone give me some info about him as a player? whats he's good at and what is he less good at?

If i remember correct he's strong and big and quite pacey for his size? Is he consistent and not just a slightly better version of Titus Bambi ;)

I looked through some of the first couple of pages, but couldn't find if he's in his last year of contract or not?  Saw something of Sam offering him a 3yr deal?  Would lead me to assume he is.  Can somebody confirm please?  Curious as to why Bolton would do this deal.

I hope we won't be signing any more african players though.  Martins, Geremi and Faye could all be going to the African Nation Cup, aren't they? (Who gives a damn about Baba)

African players only miss 4/38 EPL games because of ANC.

Besides, I don't even think all of those three would be going.

Faye has only 6 caps and Senegal haven't even made their way to ANC yet. Basically they must win their last qualifying match against Burkina Faso.

Martins might not be going either. Especially because of that assault thing. And he hasn't been too interested in national team anyway?

I looked through some of the first couple of pages, but couldn't find if he's in his last year of contract or not? 

Aye.

Guest SpinTheBlackCircle

Allardyce set to be reunited with FayeAug 15 2007

by Luke Edwards, The Journal

SAM Allardyce is hoping to finalise a move for Bolton Wanderers defender Abdoulaye Faye today as he tries to put the finishing touches to his squad before the close of the transfer window.

The Journal understands that Newcastle have had an offer of around £2m accepted by Bolton and that the player is keen on a switch to Newcastle so he can be reunited with Allardyce.

Allardyce successfully converted Faye from a central midfielder to centre-back during his time at the Reebok Stadium and is hoping to bring the Senegal international to St James’s Park to provide competition for places in both departments.

Bolton have already made contingency plans for the sale of Faye with the signing of former Newcastle defender Andy O’Brien from Portsmouth this week and, having suffered his fair share of frustration in the transfer market this summer, Allardyce looks as though he will get the 29-year-old into his squad before the arrival of Aston Villa on Saturday.

Faye, who moved to Bolton from Lens for just £750,000 two years ago, will be Allardyce’s eighth signing as Newcastle manager, but it may also be his last until the re-opening of the transfer market in January as time is running out before the summer window shuts.

United have also expressed an interest in Everton captain Phil Neville, although the Merseyside club are reluctant to sell a player who only signed a new contract last year.

The Magpies have also been linked with another defender, Paris Saint Germain centre-back Mario Yepes. The 31-year-old is a former team-mate of impressive new United centre-back David Rozehnal, but Newcastle

may feel they no longer need another player in that position and will instead concentrate on trying to land another right-back to provide cover and competition for Stephen Carr.

Guest teepee

he is not really capable of playing any of the full back positions is he?

i am not sure he is the one we should be going for, but will probably be a decent squad player...

i am not sure he is the one we should be going for, but will probably be a decent squad player...

This.

I KNOW we need cover, etc, but i like the idea of Rozenhal and Taylor settling in the back 4 together.

I'd be more comfortable if we'd already got a RB, bearing in mind the season is now underway.

I KNOW we need cover, etc, but i like the idea of Rozenhal and Taylor settling in the back 4 together.

And i don't like the idea of Cacapa and Ramage being our only other alternatives.

And i don't like the idea of Cacapa and Ramage being our only other alternatives.

Not an unfair comment, but that's COVER. First team wise, we have no right back, bever mind cover.

Not an unfair comment, but that's COVER. First team wise, we have no right back, bever mind cover.

Hopefully Sam will work that out. A quality RB in and this has to be one of the best transfer periods in a loooong time.. In an inflated market we have still got many players in strengthening the team and without splashing way too much..

Guest ExiledGeordie

I think it would be an excellent signing. He's an absolute bruiser, proper no nonsense player that you need in the premier league. I like Taylor/Rozenhal too but injuries are all too common and you need strength in depth.

Now we have Taylor/Roz/Cacapa/Faye? 3 and potentially 4 solid centre halves. That mob will certainly bash a few people up.

can faye play right-back? he's got decent speed, can play in defence and is originally a midfieldr- so right-back might not be too far a stretch. he converted him from centre-mid 2 centre-back, perhaps sam'll just move him 2 the right.

a bit unorthadox but its not such a big deal when u consider that many centre-backs can double-up as rightbacks..  i only fear that big sam rates carr too highly ( lets face it.. hes hasnt been as diabolical as ever under BSA)

And I don't like the idea of having Taylor on the pitch and Cacapa on the bench.

And I don't like the idea of having Taylor on the pitch and Cacapa on the bench.

ooh, thats wrong.

Cacapa has experience of winning leagues and playing regularly in the Champions League.  Taylor has half a decent season under his belt.