Sam says no new left-back?

KaKa

Guest eyeball_tickler

i wonder if bernard's busy these days. quite a shame he was such a mess when he came back, we could do with the bernard of old.

Was that the sound of Parky's balloon popping?

:nope:

The statements he's made about left backs is clearly ludicrous even though he's tried to disguise it in management speak imo. Bit silly really as most of what he has been saying so far makes sense. If he doesn't get the def we're starting the season unprepared FACT.

I cannot think for the life of me why Big Sam hasn't gone in for Sorin (he did while at Bolton)

we could get him for £2m easy. He's could captain the backline well and has all the quality in the world (if a tad attack-minded)

Guest Knightrider

You don't fool me Sam :lol:

Still expect us to sign at least 3 players before the transfer deadline day, especially a LB.

Still expect us to sign at least 3 players before the transfer deadline day, especially a LB.

HTT, seriously, get it into your head that Sam has no idea who you are, and is not on the look-out for you, with the ravid intentions of starting the most farcically romantic love affair of your lives. It's not going to happen.

I think your read him better than me Chris. I wish he'd stop talking about 'the defence' in the papers (clearly for others benefit) and get out there and buy/loan/convert some.

On another note I'm very confident about the new season.

Guest Knightrider

HTT, seriously, get it into your head that Sam has no idea who you are, and is not on the look-out for you, with the ravid intentions of starting the most farcically romantic love affair of your lives. It's not going to happen.

I bloody hope not, he's a big bloke.

HTT sticking his head in the sand and hoping it all comes together again, the same tactic he used when backing Souness and Glenda. As for Fat Sam, if he doesn't get a left back in then he's as clueless as the Rodent when it comes to identifying targets, perhaps he's not up to managing a big club after all...

Guest Knightrider

HTT sticking his head in the sand and hoping it all comes together again, the same tactic he used when backing Souness and Glenda. As for Fat Sam, if he doesn't get a left back in then he's as clueless as the Rodent when it comes to identifying targets, perhaps he's not up to managing a big club after all...

Or perhaps I'm just going to be patient and wait and see what happens, unlike your good self?

BTW I considered Souness' appointment to be the worst decision in the club's history at the time and considered Roeder's appointment with equal disappointment.

Just because I supported them as managers, heaven forbid I do something my very being as a NUFC fan dictates, means nowt and you using that is straw clutching at it's best :D

If my head's in the sand, yours is in the fucking clouds, along with a few others.

I'll stiuck to my views:

I'm not too woried as there is still time.

We'll bring in players, although the quality of these players remains to be seen.

And if we don't, I'm not going start hanging the manager. Takes more than that to get me looking for the razors.

Guest Knightrider

BTW "Fat Sam"?

:lol:

What's that all about?

What next Cheslea = Chelski, Man Utd = manure...

“Left backs? There aren’t any...A lot of them are converted left-wingers, so they’re attacking-minded, whereas I’ve got the opposite slant on that.

“We’re attacking-minded as a squad. I need defensive solidarity and players who think defensively; natural defenders. They’re not easy to find.”

:clap: :clap: :clap:

I agree 100% with this and these are the words of a REAL manager, one who isn't easily swept along by euphoria every time he sees a left back tearing up the line. I'm on record as saying I don't rate Stuart Pearce as a manager, but give me a left back like that every time ahead of Baines or Babayaro.

Head in the clouds?! Because I expect a decent left back to be brought in before the season starts? Thats the minimum that should be required from the bloke ffs, if he can't do that then he's failed in the  transfer window.

Guest Guinness

I'm getting concerned by recent comments that the money simply isn't there. We need a left back before the season starts along with at least two other defenders. I'm really hoping we'll see some activity next week, I'll be very concerned if we start the season with our squad as it is now.

Head in the clouds?! Because I expect a decent left back to be brought in before the season starts? Thats the minimum that should be required from the bloke ffs, if he can't do that then he's failed in the  transfer window.

I'm with you on this Baggy. And I don't buy into Sam's management speak about 'proper' left backs, cause there is no such thing. In the modern game the left back pushes up. He is beginning to sound a little out of date unfortunately. If on the other hand as HTT is hinting he is talking the market down then that is fine. But we need a left back and I don't want to hear this nonsense Sam.

I'm with you on this Baggy. And I don't buy into Sam's management speak about 'proper' left backs, cause there is no such thing. In the modern game the left back pushes up. He is beginning to sound a little out of date unfortunately. If on the other hand as HTT is hinting he is talking the market down then that is fine. But we need a left back and I don't want to hear this nonsense Sam.

Maybe both talking the market down and trying to talk his transfer kitty up.

Very concerning comments.

This could mess up our season if we don't get it sorted. We're an injury away from major problems right across the back line and the first choice full backs are average at best, terrible at worst and spend half their time in the treatment room.

A few decent defensive signings would make our chances of success much greater, but I reckon we'll be seeing a lot of the kids again. We've somehow managed to have a smaller squad than last season.

If the window closes and we've not got in sufficient numbers, regardless of the quality, I'll be very disappointed. I'm not going to slag anyone off until then though.

Reading between the lines, I think we will still sign a left back, just won't be top notch. If he's seriously thinking of going with Babayaro and N'Zogbia, he may as well go abroad and get in someone who could challenge for a place. We need numbers as well as quality. At the moment we have neither.