Sam says no new left-back?

KaKa

Losing hope of landing a new left-back

Jul 29 2007

by Neil Farrington, Sunday Sun

NEWCASTLE boss Sam Allardyce has admitted he is losing hope of landing a new left-back as the Premier League season fast approaches.

And he has reiterated that he fears he will have to gamble on more foreigners to plug the gaps right across United’s defence.

Having cast his net far and wide this summer and been linked recently with Reading’s Nicky Shorey, Allardyce last night declared: “Left backs? There aren’t any.

“There was the lad at Lyon (Eric Abidal) that went to Barcelona who is probably the best one around, but you look for the rest and say to yourself: ‘Where are they?’

“A lot of them are converted left-wingers, so they’re attacking-minded, whereas I’ve got the opposite slant on that.

“We’re attacking-minded as a squad. I need defensive solidarity and players who think defensively; natural defenders. They’re not easy to find.”

As for his general search for defensive reinforcements, Allardyce added: “The choice is more limited here (in England). They are fewer and farther between than they were.

“If I had been quick enough or had been in place as Newcastle manager sooner, I’d have looked at more Premiership free transfers.

“I tried for one — Tal Ben Haim — and if Sylvain Distin had still been available when I’d been here, he’d have been here.

“If you put Ben Haim and Distin here now, it would make a huge difference. You’d already have secured the problems with your defence, basically.

“You’d probably just look for a left-back of the right sort of experience and, perhaps, a right-back and you'd be looking forward to August 11.

“But that centre-back we need may not be in this country now.”

The Sunday Sun can reveal Allardyce is to be offered the chance to land Brazilian stopper Claudio Cacapa, a free agent since leaving Lyon, ahead of Greek giants Panathinaikos.

http://icnewcastle.icnetwork.co.uk/newcastleunited/sundaysun/tm_headline=losing-hope-of-landing-a-new-left-back%26method=full%26objectid=19535650%26siteid=50081-name_page.html

Guest leon b

Guess he's just being honest but it doesn't make the situation appear any better.i guess in some ways im still quite sure he'll get people in but like he already said the quality may be questionable.

Its true though, there aren't any good defensive left backs.

Left footers are so rare, that the best left footers will be on the left wing. What good would it do to have youth coaches playing their best player at left back?

I don't think it's all that bad, but I do think he is basically saying we will be shopping abroad for the rest of the defenders we want to bring in.

Claudio Cacapa is a very experienced and good defender but was injured a lot last season for Lyon. If he is over that he would be a good signing I think.

Left footers are so rare, that the best left footers will be on the left wing. What good would it do to have youth coaches playing their best player at left back?

There was only one good left back in the world and he went to Barcelona, I find that very hard to believe.

Lowering the already ridiculously high expectations.

I prefer this to the couple of drivel merchants in charge previously.

At least he's telling it like it is

Smack me down with a cat-o-nine tails to think we'd be signing a LB since we haven't even got a natural one on the books (Babayaro doesn't even count as a footballer)

Your right though, better than previous, but not what i really want to hear.  >:(

You can tell he is mega pissed off, same with the other story in The Sun, "show me the money". Mort needs to get this sorted out with Mr Ashley or we are going to be in deep shit this season. A LB is probably the 1 major major signing we need!

We have gone from bright future to a desperate future, he promised money for players so he just better fkn give Sam some and fast!

Lowering? no i expect us to sign a left back, ive expected this for years, we should at least bid for Baines, TRY and get him imo, anything is better than Baba and an out of position NZogbia

Guest leon b

Like sam has said previously the expectation of us toon fans in massive but at time were far from realists, I think in some ways he's playing things down so he get more time to set his foundations.

I just hope he get enough time to carry out his work cus in the long run im certain it will pay off.The question is how long is it before some of the fans decide he's just another pretender and want him booted out before he even starts?

Thing is, he must really hate Leighton Baines. We know he's available at the right price so Sam can't really say there's none available. Sam must think he's not good enough defensively

Because he isn't. fs

Thing is, he must really hate Leighton Baines. We know he's available at the right price so Sam can't really say there's none available. Sam must think he's not good enough defensively

He must do but he must also realise he is 100x better defensively than Babayaro, Huntington, Ramage or Huntington. Yes he probably is better going forward but he is still a good defender.

There was only one good left back in the world and he went to Barcelona, I find that very hard to believe.

Only one good defensive left back that has been transferred this summer.

Sam clearly thinks we need a left back who can play a defensive role rather than an attacking role, and those type of players don't exist due to the motivations of youth coaches.

I thought Baines had come out and said he wants to stay in the North West.

Guest leon b

Im sure he could take 6-7 million to sign he left backs we all speak of but if there not the ones he thinks will benifit our team i can understand him being cautious.

Hopefully he make the breakthrough he wants soon(fingers crossed)

How much lower should we be aiming then? I think most of us would be happy to challenge top 7. If being realistic is looking lower than that then we should all pack up and go home now.