Smudger signs 5 year deal.

Dave
[[Template core/global/global/poll is throwing an error. This theme may be out of date. Run the support tool in the AdminCP to restore the default theme.]]

The only possible scenario is if one of our strikers is still set to leave and Smith can replace that and also cover midfield to some degree I suppose.

Though it can be disproved so many ways I can't help but think it's just nonsense as many have said.

Smith the target

By the finish, Newcastle's side included academy seven players and Charlie Barnett, a trialist midfielder released by Liverpool. Yet still they beat Juventus. Allardyce does not know whether to laugh or cry.

:lol: It's funny because it's true.

How would buying Smith change that?

That's not the bit I highlighted

"BSA doesn't know whether to laugh or cry".

I know, I was commenting on the article but couldnt be bothered deleting your comment.  :razz:

Still, We had 7 academy players on because we've got no defenders or midfielders, we don't need strikers ffs. Anyone can see that.

£6m on a backup player playing out of position? Great business. Sign him up.  :thup:

Not true if Geremi goes to RB and it's 2 months before Barton is ready.

After his first few games I'll be gutted if we move Ron from the centre.

Smith is cover for Barton/Geremi. Good move.

Butt.....Emre.....Zog...Pattison......Milner....Nobby...

All could fill a CM role if needed. It is not essential to cover CM at this moment. It is essential we by defenders.

Smith is cover for Barton/Geremi. Good move.

Butt.....Emre.....Zog...Pattison......Milner....Nobby...

All could fill a CM role if needed. It is not essential to cover CM at this moment. It is essential we by defenders.

They are all entirely different players to Smith and Barton. Butt is the closest I'd agree with that.

£6m on a backup player playing out of position? Great business. Sign him up.  :thup:

Not true if Geremi goes to RB and it's 2 months before Barton is ready.

Geremi would be wasted at right back, I'd leave him where he is.

Well Carroll is likely to go on loan for a season,  and Luque can play left-wing.  Maybe he's gonna try and offload Ameobi.   £10m to Sunderland?

More like £15m to Wigan..

Or 20m West Ham ?

Smith would be an underwhelming signing. He'd improve the squad, give it some depth, but I really couldn't see him getting a first team place at all if everyone was fit.

If it's the best we can do and it doesn't hurt our budget for buying defenders then I'll not throw a hissy fit, cos a bit of depth would be nice, but I'd rather we target someone with a bit more upside.

It appears Smith is indeed Dyers replacement. Geremi, Smith and Barton in a midfield three maybe? When all are fit?

Defensively I'm hoping we sign Cacapa this week.

He'd improve the squad, give it some depth, but I really couldn't see him getting a first team place at all if everyone was fit.

Leaving Man Utd, I'm not sure why he'd want to go somewhere to be second choice/used in midfield again. At Boro he'd be first choice, up front, for example.