Alan Oliver: 'top manager' contact claim?

KaKa

Guest alijmitchell

The optimist in me says old leatherface could for once be right, however, the pessimist in me is say that because the dismissal was by mutual agreement, Sam could well have wanted out due to being told to get the current team to perform better before sinificant funds are released. We know part of SA's reason for leaving bolton was partly due to not having a great deal of cash (aside from anelka), and he mayhave spat his dummy out at Mort when told to get the team sorted, in which case he could have been told to politely fuck off then. Where would that leave us? Getting shot of Allardyce irrationally and actually having no manager lined up, regardless of what oliver has said. Am i going mad?

Guest sicko2ndbest

The optimist in me says old leatherface could for once be right, however, the pessimist in me is say that because the dismissal was by mutual agreement, Sam could well have wanted out due to being told to get the current team to perform better before sinificant funds are released. We know part of SA's reason for leaving bolton was partly due to not having a great deal of cash (aside from anelka), and he mayhave spat his dummy out at Mort when told to get the team sorted, in which case he could have been told to politely f*** off then. Where would that leave us? Getting shot of Allardyce irrationally and actually having no manager lined up, regardless of what oliver has said. Am i going mad?

Wrong, he sound genuinely shocked tonight in the interview

Wouldn't suprise me if the Chronicle beat its all-time circulation record tommorrow.

Not because people want to read about Sam, but because people want to read the next chapter of Oliver's inside knowledge.

you mean you had a fixed opinion on his personality, and even the blindingly obvious wasn't going to change it ?

You're a piece of work.  It wasn't "blindingly obvious" it was a barely plausible scenario that I chose to dismiss based on prior history of the man.  When liars speak you tend to doubt them. 

If he's right he's right and I hold my hands up and say I was wrong.

Wouldn't suprise me if the Chronicle beat its all-time circulation record tommorrow.

Not because people want to read about Sam, but because people want to read the next chapter of Oliver's inside knowledge.

It wasn't really inside knowledge though. Some bloke actually ran him up asking for Mort's number. I don't think he had to use any of his contacts to acquire that info ;)

Guest elbee909

IF,and i know it's a big if,oliver is right about this i'll start the "apologies to anal" thread.

If he's right then we'll all give Anal, anal.  An'all.

Guest alijmitchell

The optimist in me says old leatherface could for once be right, however, the pessimist in me is say that because the dismissal was by mutual agreement, Sam could well have wanted out due to being told to get the current team to perform better before sinificant funds are released. We know part of SA's reason for leaving bolton was partly due to not having a great deal of cash (aside from anelka), and he mayhave spat his dummy out at Mort when told to get the team sorted, in which case he could have been told to politely f*** off then. Where would that leave us? Getting shot of Allardyce irrationally and actually having no manager lined up, regardless of what oliver has said. Am i going mad?

Wrong, he sound genuinely shocked tonight in the interview

Really? I haven't got SSN, so haven't seen the interview, was just mislead by the 'mutual understanding' part, guess Mort has just told him to pack his bags and take a hefty cheque, a he has mutually understood that this was what was going t happen then. That makes this whole oliver claim a lot more exicitng then.

you mean you had a fixed opinion on his personality, and even the blindingly obvious wasn't going to change it ?

You're a piece of work.  It wasn't "blindingly obvious" it was a barely plausible scenario that I chose to dismiss based on prior history of the man.  When liars speak you tend to doubt them. 

Sorry, but I think it was blindingly obvious something was happening.

As you said "prior history of the man". You should learn to take such things on face value. Whatever you think of Oliver, and as a journalist he has to find things to write about and so will produce articles to fill space, but the FACT is that very few people are in a better position to know what is going on at the club, and this particular one was such that he just would not have printed it if he had not felt able to substantiate the information. ALL journalists print shite, but it doesn't mean everything they print is shite.

As people have dismissed Shepherd on the same basis ie he's a fat bastard over the years even when he did something right, I'm not really surprised though at the lack of judgement and consistency.

As you said "prior history of the man". You should learn to take such things on face value. Whatever you think of Oliver, and as a journalist he has to find things to write about and so will produce articles to fill space, but the FACT is that very few people are in a better position to know what is going on at the club, and this particular one was such that he just would not have printed it if he had not felt able to substantiate the information. ALL journalists print s****, but it doesn't mean everything they print is s****.

As people have dismissed Shepherd on the same basis ie he's a fat b****** over the years even when he did something right, I'm not really surprised though at the lack of judgement and consistency.

good point but the last paragraph gives you your reputation.

As you said "prior history of the man". You should learn to take such things on face value. Whatever you think of Oliver, and as a journalist he has to find things to write about and so will produce articles to fill space, but the FACT is that very few people are in a better position to know what is going on at the club, and this particular one was such that he just would not have printed it if he had not felt able to substantiate the information. ALL journalists print s****, but it doesn't mean everything they print is s****.

As people have dismissed Shepherd on the same basis ie he's a fat b****** over the years even when he did something right, I'm not really surprised though at the lack of judgement and consistency.

To me, it simply proves that a lot of people are unable to make a measured judgement. I don't see what "reputation" it gives me, other than I look at the facts and don't let personalities influence what I can see of how people can be good for the club or not. If people don't have good judgement or don't understand what is important and what isn't, then its their problem.

To me, it simply proves that a lot of people are unable to make a measured judgement. I don't see what "reputation" it gives me, other than I look at the facts and don't let personalities influence what I can see of how people can be good for the club or not. If people don't have good judgement or don't understand what is important and what isn't, then its their problem.

the reputation that everything has to return to "that" same argument even when you are posting on unrelated matters

Face Value?  Utter horse s***.  That isn't how it works.  This was an uncorroborated assertion from someone who is supposed to be a professional journalist.  He isn't your best mate, I don't have to believe a word he or any other journalist says unless they can prove it.  That is how it is supposed to work.  He could be telling the truth, but the burden is now on him.  So let's wait and see.  Credit to him if one of the two names he mentions actually arrive, or if we end up with someone managed by "one of the top agents in the world". 

But I want Marcello Lippi or Jose Mourinho at SJP by this time next week or I want to know why he lied (and I want him to disclose it in his published resignation letter).  End of.

the reputation that everything has to return to "that" same argument even when you are posting on unrelated matters

I don't think its unrelated in the slightest.

I think it proves conclusively that people's "opinions" are completely based on their perception of them personally rather than looking at things through hard logic.

Face Value?  Utter horse s***.  That isn't how it works.  This was an uncorroborated assertion from someone who is supposed to be a professional journalist.  He isn't your best mate, I don't have to believe a word he or any other journalist says unless they can prove it.  That is how it is supposed to work.  He could be telling the truth, but the burden is now on him.  So let's wait and see.  Credit to him if one of the two names he mentions actually arrive, or if we end up with someone managed by "one of the top agents in the world". 

But I want Marcello Lippi or Jose Mourinho at SJP by this time next week or I want to know why he lied (and I want him to disclose it in his published resignation letter).  End of.

You could also ask why Ashley and Mort replace Allardyce with a manager who may not better if you like, if it happens? Would you consider that to be a "lie", "incompetence" [as in the old board for not appointing Wenger before Arsenal], or is it simply that you like throwing daggers at someone you don't like and as such are unable to see anything they do that may have some merits ?

On the other hand, if they do appoint some top name with a winning reputation [like Dalglish had] you will have to admit there may have been some substance in Olivers article. I realise that doesn't conform to your "opinion" of him, but hey, keep ignoring facts it doesn't really matter to me  mackems.gif

I think it proves conclusively that people's "opinions" are completely based on their perception of them personally rather than looking at things through hard logic.

"so ne5 what do you think about the bay city rollers contribution to popular music ?"

"well madras, i think like freddie shepherd they took more stick than they should have got"

What the fuck.

face it Dave. Those who dismissed Oliver's article have been well and truly trounced.

And the sad thing is, it may yet get worse, if Allardyce has left the club because they wouldn't back him and carry on this approach with his replacement.

Mort & Ashley are not journalists.

Oliver is.  He is under a professional (and legal) obligation to print the truth, or as close to the truth as he is able to get with available factual information.  He has said he was contacted by a top agent, and has speculated that it may be Lippi or Jose Mourinho.  This isn't an old boy's club.  A nudge and a wink don't suffice.

As his reader, I am expecting one of those two to enter contract negotiations or I am expecting some concrete information as to why they changed their minds.  I am not expecting Harry Redknapp who, as far as I know, is not managed by one of the world's top agents. 

It is not acceptable for Oliver to print this story without revealing his sources or following up.  If I was his editor, I would sack him.

Are you personal friends with Alan Oliver?  Because it is the only reason I can imagine for making this personal.  We don't know yet what the outcome will be.  But do you agree that if he lied (and he was not, in fact, contacted by a top agent of a top manager interested in managing Newcastle) then he has to go?

"so ne5 what do you think about the bay city rollers contribution to popular music ?"

"well madras, i think like freddie shepherd they took more stick than they should have got"

silly.

;D