Alan Oliver: 'top manager' contact claim?

KaKa

Some people need to get a grip here and think about what they are posting.

If, for arguments sake I was Mourinho's agent and wanted to contact Chris Mort I'd ring the switchboard and tell whoever answered who I was and who I wanted to speak to.  1 of 2 things would happen, whoever answered the switchboard would either ring through to Chris Mort and tell him who I was and why I wanted to speak to him or would ask me for my number and would pass that on.  Some lass answering a phone will not be making decisions about who does and who doesn't speak to the chairman, she'd lose her job if she was contacted by Mourinho's agent and failed to pass the message on.

As for the "nasty" agent, he must also be as thick as s*** because he forgot to mention to Oliver who he was representing, in doing so he's failed to do what he's supposed to have wanted to do, his clients name is still unknown so nobody is shouting for him to be taken on as manager.

For unless they genuinely wanted the publicity, a top agent wouldn't need to go through Oliver or the switchboard.

YOU'RE alan oliver!

With regards to the name not being mentioned, I'm sure people like Mourinho wouldn't like their name released as someone doing the dirty behind Sam's back. After all, Sam is very popular in the English game. Not divulging names adds pressure without holding individuals accountable.

That is nicely put.

AO is probs laughing at as now discussing his story.

I actually think he is a user of the forum, if he is infront of a computer alot then surely joining a forum crossed his mind?

AO is probs laughing at as now discussing his story.

I actually think he is a user of the forum, if he is infront of a computer alot then surely joining a forum crossed his mind?

Without a brussel sprout he's here, although i very much doubt he posts often.

Lets take a step back from this a second.

It is very doubtful a top agent would need Oliver to tell him Mort's number, as there are probably a few sources from which he could have obtained this number.

Which is the all that Dave and I have been saying. 

It is difficult to say how much networking Mort has done, but the board must have lost hundreds of contacts when Shepherd, the Halls, and Cushing left, and much of the clubs work done on the agent side of things has probably been done through Allardyce.

That means that not only does Mort not have access to many agents around the world, many agents may not currently have access to Mort, and the Newcastle chairman's phone number is probably in the top 20 of best footballing contacts an agent can possess, and is ulikely to be bandied about by everyone, as having this number brings a competitive advantage over those who don't.

Firstly, I doubt the Shepherds, Halls et al carried out a scorched earth policy, destroying all files, contracts, rolodexes, e-mail contact lists or anything containing a phone number.  While it's undoubtedly true that we did lose SOME inside contact information, I hardly think it was of such magnitude that Mort is rendered incommunicado.  Of course it's conjecture on my part but I'd like to believe he reached out and established relations with those folk during his first few months in charge. 

Secondly, communication is a two way street.  These agents and agencies who would like to tout players and managers are going to be proactive in contacting the new chairman.  They'll use whatever channels they did before, which, again, I highly doubt were all of the "straight-to-the-chairmans-cellphone" method.  As you say, it's probably in the top 20 "must haves" for an agent/agency, so even if mort was spending his days drumming his fingers on his desk, those agents/agencies would be reaching out to him. 

It's a fair point you make about agents, but I'm still siding with Occam here; the simplest, and therefore most likely, explanation is that AO is a tit and this is a BS story.

Do you know any club employees or journalists  ?

Yes, why?

Your irrational hatred of FS is now explained. You are a deposed member of the shite board pre-1992  :lol:

This would make sense, tbh. The previous Board knew nowt at all about football.

What are yours and NE5's links with the old board? Serious question.

If one is a relative then they both are but they like people to think they hold the same views independently so they can back up each other without anybody knowing why they both share the same views.

If one is a relative then they both are but they like people to think they hold the same views independently so they can back up each other without anybody knowing why they both share the same views.

Could you be less cryptic please?!!

Do you mean, you think that thay may be relatvies of old board memebers?

NE5 is Shepherd and HTL is his mam

I have to say that the one of the most ridiculous arguments i have ever seen on this forum is saying that someone can ring the club to get the chairman's mobile  :lol:

Someone cold call the club and ask for Mort's number and report back the response. If you want an important number the only way to get it is through trusted contacts. Of course Mort has been in football for so long there are loads of people in the game with his personal mobile number.  :rolleyes:

Cold caller - "I'm a football agent"

Receptionist - "Are you? Oh well in that case its 07..."

Whether this is true or not is open to question obviously.

I have to say that the one of the most ridiculous arguments i have ever seen on this forum is saying that someone can ring the club to get the chairman's mobile  :lol:

Someone cold call the club and ask for Mort's number and report back the response. If you want an important number the only way to get it is through trusted contacts. Of course Mort has been in football for so long there are loads of people in the game with his personal mobile number.  :rolleyes:

Could they not send a formal letter or fax?

All I was arguing was that it seems daft that someone at such a top agency would ring a local journalist for it. What makes Oliver any more likely to give the number out to a cold caller?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vw6F3Sf-PGw

Could they not send a formal letter or fax?

All I was arguing was that it seems daft that someone at such a top agency would ring a local journalist for it. What makes Oliver any more likely to give the number out to a cold caller?

Obvious. Because he knows the person he was talking to.

Think about it Dave, if i want Beckham's number, how do i go about it? I ring someone who knows someone who gets me the number of someone who has the number. Thats how it works.

if you're a top agency representing one of the biggest managers around i'd assume you;re already pretty well stocked when it comes to contacts. for one thing you could call any number of players, ex-plays, managers, other agents etc etc etc before you ring some obscure local journalist youve never heard of who its widely recognised has been frozen out the SJP loop and who is guaranteed to not respect privacy.

the only way i see the story as being feasible as if the agency deliberately wants to leak their client's candidacy for the job so uses oliver to do this, but then if so why decline to name the manager in question. if they wanted to simply go straight to mort and keep things business there's little chance they'd go through oliver.

if you're a top agency representing one of the biggest managers around i'd assume you;re already pretty well stocked when it comes to contacts. for one thing you could call any number of players, ex-plays, managers, other agents etc etc etc before you ring some obscure local journalist youve never heard of who its widely recognised has been frozen out the SJP loop and who is guaranteed to not respect privacy.

Wrote it for me.

Mort's details must be with some agencies already for example, given he's dealt with a number of transfers at a decent level of profile.

Wrote it for me.

Mort's details must be with some agencies already for example, given he's dealt with a number of transfers at a decent level of profile.

Yeah competitors hand out client numbers to each other all the time.

Love all the experts on the random and circuitous routes that allow you access to VIP phone numbers.

I'm wondering who all these people are with Mort's number. Been in football 7 months.

says the person who wrote a patronising mini-script in order to show us plebs how one would hypothetically go about getting mort's number.  :p

Wrote it for me.

Yeah competitors hand out client numbers to each other all the time.

You said there were no contacts. A top agency, working for a top manager would have a number of avenues before ringing up a local journalist, surely?