Caçapa signs 2 year deal. (Interview page 17)

Optimistic Nut

Leta hope he's not "Cac"

Good move though

Heard it pronounced 'Ca- shapa' on the BBC radio today.Anyone know the correct pronounciation?

I saw him getting a standing ovation in his last game and some kind of plate of silver as a thank you for his services. the commentators were french and they pronounced it as Ca-sapa or Ca-shapa,

Good signing, could be a great signing!

One thing, if he's a free agent, why has he taken so long to sign for a club, and thus isnt match fit for the start of the season?

Good point. If he's a free agent and he's so good, how has it taken him until August to find a club? Genuine question. Viduka and Geremi were snapped up in no time when clubs found they were available.

Good signing, could be a great signing!

One thing, if he's a free agent, why has he taken so long to sign for a club, and thus isnt match fit for the start of the season?

Good point. If he's a free agent and he's so good, how has it taken him until August to find a club? Genuine question. Viduka and Geremi were snapped up in no time when clubs found they were available.

Hard to say.

My bet is that he was waiting for a really big club to come in, and now sees that it's not going to happen and we're as good an option as he can expect.

Or wage demands perhaps?

Maybe he's just shit though, as I'm sure someone will soon suggest. :lol:

Without knowing the nature of the injuries though, it's hard to say.  It's possible he's just been unlucky rather than injury-prone, or that he's suffered a succession of serious injuries, which again doesn't necessarily mean you're injury-prone.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that knowing nothing of his role at Lyon, how many games French teams play, the rotation system at Lyon etc., I'm not gonna get too concerned that we're getting a crock.  I would assume that Sam has done his homework on it, using something other than Wikipedia (not a dig, although it does sound like one!)

I agree and I'm confident Sam will run the necessary checks on him. But I'm equally confident that, after admitting he's had to move on from a large number of his targets, he's now at the stage of the transfer window where he may have to make compromises/risks in order to get the types of players he wants. Cacapa clearly has the experience and leadership qualities he wants, and comes for nothing, therefore he might be willing to take the chance on his injuries. It does seem strange that a captain of his club for 5 years would only play 30 games once in that time. Suggests he's a good leader if noone saw fit to take the armband off him, but it also suggests he's had injury problems going back a long time.

I'm trying to be philosophical about this signing, I've seen him a few times in the Champions League and he looks a good defender, definitely good enough for us. A month ago I'd have said 'meh' but now I'd say 'get him in'. We'll have to wait and see if he is capable of giving us more than 30 games a season, my reservations come from the fact he's only managed that once in his whole career.

Without knowing the nature of the injuries though, it's hard to say.  It's possible he's just been unlucky rather than injury-prone, or that he's suffered a succession of serious injuries, which again doesn't necessarily mean you're injury-prone.

I guess all I'm trying to say is that knowing nothing of his role at Lyon, how many games French teams play, the rotation system at Lyon etc., I'm not gonna get too concerned that we're getting a crock.  I would assume that Sam has done his homework on it, using something other than Wikipedia (not a dig, although it does sound like one!)

I agree and I'm confident Sam will run the necessary checks on him. But I'm equally confident that, after admitting he's had to move on from a large number of his targets, he's now at the stage of the transfer window where he may have to make compromises/risks in order to get the types of players he wants. Cacapa clearly has the experience and leadership qualities he wants, and comes for nothing, therefore he might be willing to take the chance on his injuries. It does seem strange that a captain of his club for 5 years would only play 30 games once in that time. Suggests he's a good leader if noone saw fit to take the armband off him, but it also suggests he's had injury problems going back a long time.

I'm trying to be philosophical about this signing, I've seen him a few times in the Champions League and he looks a good defender, definitely good enough for us. A month ago I'd have said 'meh' but now I'd say 'get him in'. We'll have to wait and see if he is capable of giving us more than 30 games a season.

I doubt we need him for 30 games a season, he'll be rotation at most.

Perhaps not, but personally I've always been a fan of a settled back four, particularly in central defence. I look at Liverpool where Carragher and Agger know each other inside out, Benitez will rotate his whole team but he doesn't dare split those two up. I look at Terry and Carvalho, Ferdinand and Vidic, and I'd like to see that sort of consistency here. IMO it's the most important part of the pitch for that kind of consistency and understanding, ie the least 'rotation-friendly' position.

Perhaps not, but personally I've always been a fan of a settled back four, particularly in central defence. I look at Liverpool where Carragher and Agger know each other inside out, Benitez will rotate his whole team but he doesn't dare split those two up. I look at Terry and Carvalho, Ferdinand and Vidic, and I'd like to see that sort of consistency here. IMO it's the most important part of the pitch for that kind of consistency and understanding.

Taylor & Rozy would be my choice. Certainly need to keep Taylor at CB, those thinking of putting him to RB (formation thread) and stalling his career for a season need their head read. Rozy is the perfect partner for Taylor, well maybe not perfect, but as good as we've got, i see the new guy coming in to over coming his injuries, challenging for a place, while settling in and being a teacher for the pair, not just Taylor.

Taylor & Rozy would be my choice. Certainly need to keep Taylor at CB, those thinking of putting him to RB (formation thread) and stalling his career for a season need their head read. Rozy is the perfect partner for Taylor, well maybe not perfect, but as good as we've got, i see the new guy coming in to over coming his injuries, challenging for a place, while settling in and being a teacher for the pair, not just Taylor.

With Cacapa's pedigree (loads of Champions League experience, Brazil caps, Lyon captain for 5 years) don't you think he could be considered for the first team right away? Big Sam hinted that one of his new signings could take the armband, he may well have been talking about Smith (English, 100% grafter, experienced etc) but he could very well have been talking about Cacapa who has captained a massive club like Lyon for five years.

Moving Taylor to right back might not be the worst move, he performed well there and the example of Carragher is a good one. He's more solid defensively than Carr and Taylor/Drago would offer us good defensive cover on both sides of the pitch which seems to be what Sam wants.

With Cacapa's pedigree (loads of Champions League experience, Brazil caps, Lyon captain for 5 years) don't you think he could be considered for the first team right away? Big Sam hinted that one of his new signings could take the armband, he may well have been talking about Smith (English, 100% grafter, experienced etc) but he could very well have been talking about Cacapa who has captained a massive club like Lyon for five years.

Not really. He's a crock ATM that we need to put right, and then he needs to adapt, then he needs to beef up to the level of the EPL. No chance is he a 1st teamer coming in nevermind captain material.

Guest Invicta_Toon

31 year old out of contract Brazilian

and so it came to pass, the fairy godmother rolled into Toon, and NUFC turned into BWFC

and so it came to pass, the fairy godmother rolled into Toon, and NUFC turned into BWFC

;D

Not even a teeny, weeny bit positive about signing him?

Guest andynufc84

who qualified for europe last season?

Guest Invicta_Toon

;D

I'm a little bit mirandhina, and a little bit Fumaca, about it tbh

Guest Invicta_Toon

who qualified for europe last season?

just, no

;D

Well at the minute our back-up CB is Ramage. Who would you rather play - this guy or Ramage?

Guest Toon83

anyone heard anything on when this one will go through, the smith deal is expected to go through tomorrow so any news on this one?

Guest Invicta_Toon

;D

Well at the minute our back-up CB is Ramage. Who would you rather play - this guy or Ramage?

no idea. I expect he'll be in the gym everyday keeping fit for his chance though. No latin quarter in Toon to distract him