José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Would be more confident regards player investment affecting new contracts if I wasn't half expecting a drawn out summer of transfers held up by haggling over fees/wages etc, as Ashley and co. play hard ball with clubs/agents.

They've already stated they are now taking a tough stance, and everything will be more exaggerated now we've apparantly got plenty of cash.

Wouldn't be surprised if we lose a few targets along the way. and don't get people tied up until late on.

Just not sure it will even be in their mindset to think they have to complete anything quickly so new contracts can be signed and sealed etc.

No problem with us haggling to get the best deal as long as we don't capitulate and sell our own players if they get itchy feet due to the lack of early signings.

Still think he'll be away sooner rather than later. It's the classic "I was misquoted" defence.

If he doesn't want to be here then he knows what he needs to do. If he does want to be here then sign on the dotted line amigo....

Sorry, are we meant to be accusing the journalists at Marca of spinning his words, or the British press?

British, apparently. Was a nice chat with La Marca apparently, so it would seem he approves of what they published. And they published something not a fantastic amount different to what the British press took out.

How do you know what was published in La Marca? You understand Spanish? Why do you try to put a negative spin instead of just taking Jose's words as published on the website?

Sorry, are we meant to be accusing the journalists at Marca of spinning his words, or the British press?

British, apparently. Was a nice chat with La Marca apparently, so it would seem he approves of what they published. And they published something not a fantastic amount different to what the British press took out.

How do you know what was published in La Marca? You understand Spanish? Why do you try to put a negative spin instead of just taking Jose's words as published on the website?

My translation, he looks genuinely pissed at your ownership actually:

Do you think the exit of Andy Carroll will affect the team?

Yes, but it's not just Andy. He was a great striker for us, won all the high balls and was an important player for Newcastle. But other players left too and we have a short squad now. Some of my colleagues are debuting in the Premier League and we lack backups for certain positions. We all know we have a short squad and if we want to play a "top team"... if there are injuries we'll have problems. I have been promised that all the money of the Carroll sale will be reinvested. I hope it's that way...

Speaking of Liverpool, the reds are looking at you for their next campaign...

I have read in some English papers that teams like Liverpool, Manchester United, Aston Villa want me and that's flattering. They are big English teams. Currently I'm fine in Newcastle but I don't close my door to anything. I love the fans and I love the city. I have suffered with the team, with the relegation two years ago... and we have to be realistic. Newcastle hasn't been acting well, they made promises that haven't been fulfilled and I'm ambitious. I want to play in the Champions League, important competitions, and be able to play for the national team.

You have 16 months left in my contract, are you going to stay in Newcastle?

I always said that I feel fine in this team. It's true that I have been promised things that haven't been fulfilled. Like any other player, I want to win trophies and I don't want my aim to just be staying up. I want to be able to tell my sons that I played in the Champions League or for Spain. I'm ambitious and I won't close my door to anything

Guest BlacknWhiteArmy

Still think he'll be away sooner rather than later. It's the classic "I was misquoted" defence.

If he doesn't want to be here then he knows what he needs to do. If he does want to be here then sign on the dotted line amigo....

Yup. I still think he'll go in the summer.

Yup. I still think he'll go in the summer.

He's basically put the ball in our court. There are only two or three players left at this club who will attract attention from the big clubs. If Jose sees that we are serious about getting back where we belong I think he'll stay. Otherwise he'll reluctantly move to a club which can give him the platform his talent deserves. That's how I read his comments.

Would be more confident regards player investment affecting new contracts if I wasn't half expecting a drawn out summer of transfers held up by haggling over fees/wages etc, as Ashley and co. play hard ball with clubs/agents.

They've already stated they are now taking a tough stance, and everything will be more exaggerated now we've apparantly got plenty of cash.

Wouldn't be surprised if we lose a few targets along the way. and don't get people tied up until late on.

Just not sure it will even be in their mindset to think they have to complete anything quickly so new contracts can be signed and sealed etc.

This is right.

Yes, but it's not just Andy. He was a great striker for us, won all the high balls and was an important player for Newcastle. But other players left too and we have a short squad now. Some of my colleagues are debuting in the Premier League and we lack backups for certain positions. We all know we have a short squad and if we want to play a "top team"... if there are injuries we'll have problems. I have been promised that all the money of the Carroll sale will be reinvested. I hope it's that way...

I have read in some English papers that teams like Liverpool, Manchester United, Aston Villa want me and that's flattering. They are big English teams. Currently I'm fine in Newcastle but I don't close my door to anything. I love the fans and I love the city. I have suffered with the team, with the relegation two years ago... and we have to be realistic. Newcastle hasn't been acting well, they made promises that haven't been fulfilled and I'm ambitious. I want to play in the Champions League, important competitions, and be able to play for the national team.

I always said that I feel fine in this team. It's true that I have been promised things that haven't been fulfilled. Like any other player, I want to win trophies and I don't want my aim to just be staying up. I want to be able to tell my sons that I played in the Champions League or for Spain. I'm ambitious and I won't close my door to anything

Resolved in 2 minutes and 25 seconds. Good work :D

Yup now at least we have a proper Spanish translation (thanks V.I.). We didn't when you posted your opinion though.

Regardless, my impression remains the same, that it is by far a foregone conclusion. First if we get some good players in and spend the bulk of that 35M, then we can persuade him to stay. He knows that we have a good spine (Barton, Tiote, Colo, HBA...etc). What he wants is a few key players in (strikers, maybe defender to partner Colo, RB?) and some backup for the squad. If we do another January window and sell any of the above players, then he will want to leave. Then it's a question of whether a better club can offer the right amount of fees + wages. Based on the Carroll example, one thing good about Mike is that he does not sell cheap, I reckon club would have to bid in excess of 10M for Enrique so even if he wants to leave, it's still not a foregone conclusion. I'm still optimistic.

I wish we could do an Enrique and hold out on renewing season tickets until we see some kind of suitable investment into the squad, we have to go into this blind. I'll be over joyed if he stays but completely understand if he wants to better himself, that would mean he won't join Liverpool or Aston villa I'd hope.

Yup now at least we have a proper Spanish translation (thanks V.I.). We didn't when you posted your opinion though.

Even though it clearly says in what you've quoted that VI posted that before 80 posted his?

Even though it clearly says in what you've quoted that VI posted that before 80 posted his?

Oh well didn't see VI's original post, apologies then I did not read every single post in this thread

Guest thenorthumbrian

I wish we could do an Enrique and hold out on renewing season tickets until we see some kind of suitable investment into the squad, we have to go into this blind. I'll be over joyed if he stays but completely understand if he wants to better himself, that would mean he won't join Liverpool or Aston villa I'd hope.

With FCB in control I believe that Enrique will leave.

There is no evidence at all that Ashley wants to drive the club forward with anything like an ambitious agenda, and that is why our best players will go.

Guest thenorthumbrian

Would be really sad to see him go, but f**king furious if he went to f**king Liverpool, c**ts!

AC Milan would be OK

He might think that he would go to Liverpool because they have just signed one of the best young strikers and he would be leaving a club which has just sold theirs. 

Would be really sad to see him go, but f**king furious if he went to f**king Liverpool, c**ts!

AC Milan would be OK

He might think that he would go to Liverpool because they have just signed one of the best young strikers and he would be leaving a club which has just sold theirs. 

I guess the fact that they've also sold one of the best strikers in the world (even if currently off form) does not figure in your equation, easy if you want to be selective with facts

If he doesn't want to be here then so be it. After Carroll leaving at the eleventh hour in January, I think any future departures will seem relatively mild, no matter how talented the player.

Guest thenorthumbrian

AC Milan would be OK

I guess the fact that they've also sold one of the best strikers in the world (even if currently off form) does not figure in your equation, easy if you want to be selective with facts

And they replaced him with two signings.

Both of who are a bit better than Shefki Kuqi.

Guest Roger Kint

After reading Jose's statement i actually feel worse. Now playing the 'fans are too thick to use the internet and read the full interview' game to pass it off as British press making it look bad.....

Going off the marca interview i cant see how we will change his mind, its easy to say he will wait til we invest however other clubs arent going to sit back and wait to see how we get on. Once the bids come in does anyone truly expect him to say 'no i am going to wait on a NUFC miracle' or the club not accepting the first good offer we get? At the end of the day there is no guarantee that even £35m of players will get us in the top 6 let alone where he wants to be any time soon.

Guest Roger Kint

AC Milan would be OK

And they replaced him with two signings.

Both of who are a bit better than Shefki Kuqi.

And if we replaced Carroll with Carlton Cole or somebody else grossly over priced you would still be complaining. The timing was shit yes, we left ourselves short yes but i would rather have done that then end up with a pile of shite player for big money just to appease the fans. Kuqi is a last resort, rubbish 'just in case' get over it he wont be used unless we have nothing else at all, why cant people see that?

Guest Roger Kint

I could show you some other Spanish interviews during your relegation preseason that look worse than this, yet he stayed and fought on.

How many Champions League clubs showed an interest then?

Guest thenorthumbrian

After reading Jose's statement i actually feel worse. Now playing the 'fans are too thick to use the internet and read the full interview' game to pass it off as British press making it look bad.....

Going off the marca interview i cant see how we will change his mind, its easy to say he will wait til we invest however other clubs arent going to sit back and wait to see how we get on. Once the bids come in does anyone truly expect him to say 'no i am going to wait on a NUFC miracle' or the club not accepting the first good offer we get? At the end of the day there is no guarantee that even £35m of players will get us in the top 6 let alone where he wants to be any time soon.

And the worrying thing is with Barton making similar noises about the club needing serious investment on the playing side, I wonder if the crack around the dressing room is that more than one of our key players is looking to move to a properly run, ambitious club.