José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Guest NewBoyPeetah

I hope that means he's being honest about signing once we're safe but this all seems a bit funny. I can't read Spanish so the original isn't going to help me. I can easily believe journalists have spun his comments into their story.

All in all I'm an optimist at heart so...three cheers for José!

Remind me again why he wouldn't just sign a new deal now with a sensible relegation release clause?   :undecided:

Because he would be in a contract still, ever heard of the Bosman ruling. ???

He'd be in a contract with a release clause he agreed to and his agent negotiated on his behalf so it would hardly tie him down if we went down.

Bosman only benefits players wanting to leave and clubs wanting bargains. If he's holding out for that, then he's as good as off imho.

There's no smoke without fire and the most interesting comment he's made is that about 'broken promises'.

I suspect there's a lot to that.

Edit - if he's that worried about Ashley spending the AC money and Ashley has genuinely committed to investing in the squad as Pardew would have us all believe then why doesn't Enrique agree a new 5.5 year contract now with a £3m release clause in the event of relegation?

We shouldn't be relegation candidates after large investment into an already talented squad, so if Ashley and Pardew are that sure of their vision and plans for the club why can't they demonstrate that to Jose now?

Sorry, are we meant to be accusing the journalists at Marca of spinning his words, or the British press?

British, apparently. Was a nice chat with La Marca apparently, so it would seem he approves of what they published. And they published something not a fantastic amount different to what the British press took out.

Sorry, are we meant to be accusing the journalists at Marca of spinning his words, or the British press?

British, apparently. Was a nice chat with La Marca apparently, so it would seem he approves of what they published.

Wasn't it in Marca that he said the club "made promises they haven't kept."

?

British, apparently. Was a nice chat with La Marca apparently, so it would seem he approves of what they published.

Wasn't it in Marca that he said the club "made promises they haven't kept."

?

Yep. Compared to the very original thing the Daily Mail had in it (only about other clubs), it was actually more critical of the club.

Guest bimpy474

I know this depends on whether the fat one really will release the £35m to be reinvested, but i really do think we are in a great position (if he does), we should be able to bring in a couple of good players for free as they wont sign new contracts, Marveaux, Elmander types etc, and spending the £35m carefully and shrewdly on Tiote and Ben Arfa types, we really should have no excuses on building a very good young squad for next season.

I see two scenarios for the coming season.

1. We spend the money and have a real good young squad and it will be the most i looked forward to a season for nearly ten years now.

2. Fatty wont spend and we continue to have our hopes smashed by the fat controller.

We can only hope its option 1  :undecided:

Would be more confident regards player investment affecting new contracts if I wasn't half expecting a drawn out summer of transfers held up by haggling over fees/wages etc, as Ashley and co. play hard ball with clubs/agents.

They've already stated they are now taking a tough stance, and everything will be more exaggerated now we've apparantly got plenty of cash.

Wouldn't be surprised if we lose a few targets along the way. and don't get people tied up until late on.

Just not sure it will even be in their mindset to think they have to complete anything quickly so new contracts can be signed and sealed etc.

I don't mind if he goes to improve his career in terms of being part of major competitions such as the Champions' League; I've enjoyed watching his performances and development. I would resent it if he went to a club like Villa or Liverpool where it would only be money as opposed to advancement.

I know this depends on whether the fat one really will release the £35m to be reinvested, but i really do think we are in a great position (if he does), we should be able to bring in a couple of good players for free as they wont sign new contracts, Marveaux, Elmander types etc, and spending the £35m carefully and shrewdly on Tiote and Ben Arfa types, we really should have no excuses on building a very good young squad for next season.

1. We spend the money and have a real good young squad and it will be the most i looked forward to a season for nearly ten years now.

2. Fatty wont spend and we continue to have our hopes smashed by the fat controller.

This club has gone in cycles for the last 10 years and I can confidently say that Option 2 is most likely. Never underestimate the potential for disaster when Mike Ashley is here.

Guest bimpy474

This club has gone in cycles for the last 10 years and I can confidently say that Option 2 is most likely. Never underestimate the potential for disaster when Mike Ashley is here.

Sadly you maybe right, my hope is that as the £35m came from sales, it may just go back into the team as Pardew says, got no reason to doubt that at the moment, only times gonna tell i suppose.

Most likely Ashley will shock us with a 15-20m decent signing..pick a few freebies up things will be looking up with everyone happy then we will sell Enrique, Tiote and give Alan Smith a new five year contract.

Guest neesy111

I want Aaron Ramsey here. Fanciful i know. But perhaps Wilshere's development will see room for him at the gunners disappear. Here's to hoping...

Clutching at straws tbh.

Good luck to Enrique. Came to NUFC, missed hardly any games and been a consistently good/classy performer. Didnt leave us when we were relegated and absolutely deserves a chance at the Champions League, something we'll never get close to under Cashley.

Has this been posted? Sorry if it has:@

Newcastle United full-back Jose Enrique has moved to clarify comments that were attributed to him in various media outlets on Thursday and Friday.

The Valencia-born ace spoke to nufc.co.uk after seeing his words taken "out of context" following an interview with a Spanish newspaper.

He said: "I had a good chat with a Spanish journalist about how things were going this season. I told him we're having a good season and how I've been enjoying the games, playing well and focussing on the good year I am having at the club. We are ambitious and, like all the players here, we want to play at the highest level we can.

"Newcastle is a great club with some excellent players and I hope we can kick on and continue to progress.

"From this interview, two or three lines have now appeared in the English papers, and because they are totally out of context with the rest of the interview, I am very disappointed at being portrayed in this manner."

Enrique added: "The position with my contract has always been clear and both myself and the manager have talked about it openly.

"I would like to ensure that we have secured Premier League status for next season before we discuss a new deal. It is natural for me, as it is for every player, to want to play at the top level."