José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Guest Roger Kint

I could show you some other Spanish interviews during your relegation preseason that look worse than this, yet he stayed and fought on.

How many Champions League clubs showed an interest then?

Club Atlético de Madrid.

What did they bid? Besides Enrique showing loyalty for his part in our downfall isnt even the issue, that was 18 months ago. The fact is he has a choice of suitors it seems while his form is very good at a crucial point in his contract. Didnt he mention wage reductions in the relegation summer as a reason to stay?

I could show you some other Spanish interviews during your relegation preseason that look worse than this, yet he stayed and fought on.

From Enrique? Don't think I've ever seen those on here.

There are mostly quotes taken out of context from a radio interview he gave. They are pretty harsh but he looks indeed pissed off by all the stuff going around your club at the time.

http://www.marca.com/2009/07/13/futbol/futbol_internacional/espanoles_mundo/1247478783.html

"I don't even know what's happening in Newcastle, we have spent two weeks of preseason and everything it's still the same. Club's for sale, there's no owners and we don't even have a manager when we're just a month away from starting the season. It looked like Shearer was staying but truth is nobody knows what's going to happen"

"Things here are not going well. I'm f***ed (sic) sporting-wise and I'm angry for the fans too, they are always supporting us and don't stop cheering in any game we play"

"I'm very excited to return to Spain, there's been talk in the press that teams like Atlético are interested in me. If there was an offer from Spain I'd prioritize it above offers from other places."

"In England I have a good contract, but sporting-wise I'm not well here and I'd give up money to play on a different team. I want to succeed and and there are more important things than money."

That was 18 months ago, bear in mind.

Guest Roger Kint

And this was 11 months ago:

“I’m so happy I decided to stay at Newcastle in the summer,” said Enrique, who returned to the starting line-up after a hamstring injury in the 3-0 win over Scunthorpe on Wednesday night.

“I know we are only in the Championship, but I love the city and the club. All the foreign players hate the weather here, but it’s not just Newcastle, it’s England. I’m really settled here and I have no desire to go back to Spain. I’m happy at Newcastle, in England and in this team.

“In my three seasons here I know the fans like me and I love that. That is more important for me than anything else, more important than trophies and cups.”

After reading Jose's statement i actually feel worse. Now playing the 'fans are too thick to use the internet and read the full interview' game to pass it off as British press making it look bad.....

Going off the marca interview i cant see how we will change his mind, its easy to say he will wait til we invest however other clubs arent going to sit back and wait to see how we get on. Once the bids come in does anyone truly expect him to say 'no i am going to wait on a NUFC miracle' or the club not accepting the first good offer we get? At the end of the day there is no guarantee that even £35m of players will get us in the top 6 let alone where he wants to be any time soon.

I don't think it's fair to criticize him for coming out and saying the British press have twisted his words - because they took a snippet and ran the quote out of context. The full Q & A tells the whole story, but the British version reads like "I want to leave."

As for "waiting for a miracle", well, that's why it is incumbent on Ashley to strengthen quickly and wisely. Unfortunately, what we all fear is a bid from Milan or Man USA before[\I] the squad is strengthened - at which time Jose will be off. It's no good signing decent players in the last week of August - if we want to satisfy the likes of Enrique and Barton we need to have at least two quality players fronting ip for the first day of pre-season training...

I have read all the interviews past and present in this thread and all I see is a player who wants to be part of an ambitious club. He's said more than enough times he loves the fans and the city but he's got international aspirations as well as the desire for club honours. With £35m in the bank to strengthen the squad it shouldn't be the hardest sell to persuade him that we can provide all that soon. Will we do that? If Ashley won't go for it now he never will.

Isn't Enrique really just throwing the gauntlet down to the club. Give him a new contract, which he deserves, and improve the team over the summer so they can compete better? Think that's what he'd want most tbh.

Guest Roger Kint

The British press didnt twist it to 'I want to leave' though it obviously lacks some context. The Mail said what is in the thread title which is pretty much exactly what he said less a few other choice words, they could have included the broken promises bit too if they wanted to make it look worse. The full version doesnt read as though he wants to stay imo.

We all know we wont be doing our business early, when do we ever? June 07 we signed 3 or 4 before pre season, Parker the season before i think. Most of our business is late July to after the season starts which will be weeks after other clubs start bidding tbh.

Guest Roger Kint

Isn't Enrique really just throwing the gauntlet down to the club. Give him a new contract, which he deserves, and improve the team over the summer so they can compete better? Think that's what he'd want most tbh.

They ARE giving him a new contract, they say they ARE going to improve the team in the summer. Jose himself says they break promises so he will have to either sign early and trust them or leave it late and harm his options with other clubs.

Interesting how the English press missed out the bits about broken promises, which is surely the more newsworthy, and focused instead on aspirations and talking about Liverpool and Man Utd.

Nothing new obviously but the press agenda to try and get every good player to one of those "big" clubs is appalling.

Would be really sad to see him go, but f**king furious if he went to f**king Liverpool, c**ts!

AC Milan would be OK

He might think that he would go to Liverpool because they have just signed one of the best young strikers and he would be leaving a club which has just sold theirs. 

I guess the fact that they've also sold one of the best strikers in the world (even if currently off form) does not figure in your equation, easy if you want to be selective with facts

And they replaced him with two signings.

Both of who are a bit better than Shefki Kuqi.

And if we replaced Carroll with Carlton Cole or somebody else grossly over priced you would still be complaining. The timing was s*** yes, we left ourselves short yes but i would rather have done that then end up with a pile of s**** player for big money just to appease the fans. Kuqi is a last resort, rubbish 'just in case' get over it he wont be used unless we have nothing else at all, why cant people see that?

No don't you know we just gave Kuqi a 5 year contract and the number 9 shirt!

If we didn't sign anyone people would complain that we are not doing anything for cover, now that we have signed him people are acting as if he's our new no 9...dam if we do dam if we don't

We will not get relegated this season.  The rest of the season is about consolidation, and maybe pushing for a waffa place if we are very lucky.

NEXT season is the acid test.  Carroll was never going to stay, so we did right to take a hugely overinflated price when it was there.  Provided we buy some good players during the summer, we can finish 7th next year, and continue to build whilst more importantly, stay in the black.

Carroll needed to go.  35 million is a huge amount of money to turn down.

Would be really sad to see him go, but f**king furious if he went to f**king Liverpool, c**ts!

AC Milan would be OK

He might think that he would go to Liverpool because they have just signed one of the best young strikers and he would be leaving a club which has just sold theirs. 

I guess the fact that they've also sold one of the best strikers in the world (even if currently off form) does not figure in your equation, easy if you want to be selective with facts

And they replaced him with two signings.

Both of who are a bit better than Shefki Kuqi.

And if we replaced Carroll with Carlton Cole or somebody else grossly over priced you would still be complaining. The timing was s*** yes, we left ourselves short yes but i would rather have done that then end up with a pile of s**** player for big money just to appease the fans. Kuqi is a last resort, rubbish 'just in case' get over it he wont be used unless we have nothing else at all, why cant people see that?

No don't you know we just gave Kuqi a 5 year contract and the number 9 shirt!

If we didn't sign anyone people would complain that we are not doing anything for cover, now that we have signed him people are acting as if he's our new no 9...dam if we do dam if we don't

What people?

From Enrique? Don't think I've ever seen those on here.

There are mostly quotes taken out of context from a radio interview he gave. They are pretty harsh but he looks indeed pissed off by all the stuff going around your club at the time.

http://www.marca.com/2009/07/13/futbol/futbol_internacional/espanoles_mundo/1247478783.html

"I don't even know what's happening in Newcastle, we have spent two weeks of preseason and everything it's still the same. Club's for sale, there's no owners and we don't even have a manager when we're just a month away from starting the season. It looked like Shearer was staying but truth is nobody knows what's going to happen"

"Things here are not going well. I'm f***ed (sic) sporting-wise and I'm angry for the fans too, they are always supporting us and don't stop cheering in any game we play"

"I'm very excited to return to Spain, there's been talk in the press that teams like Atlético are interested in me. If there was an offer from Spain I'd prioritize it above offers from other places."

"In England I have a good contract, but sporting-wise I'm not well here and I'd give up money to play on a different team. I want to succeed and and there are more important things than money."

That was 18 months ago, bear in mind.

Thanks for that, informative.

Regarding Enrique's attitude to us, it's also worth noting - especially in the light of the old interview above and what subsequently happened - that he didn't have to say the positive things about us that he did this time to La Marca. Loving the city, being ok at the club etc. - it wouldn't seem he's said these expecting them to be read in England, so I'd say his own outlook on whether he should stay at the club certainly isn't a foregone conclusion.

Guest toonarmymia

Whether or not he goes in the summer, Enrique was quoted out of context from The Sun and Mail. Enrique didnt even say "I'm ok at Newcastle but I aspire to more". Complete lie or mistranslation.

The FULL original interview translated to English is http://toonarmymia.tumblr.com/post/3365889437/the-original-jose-enrique-article-translated-from: (once read, the statement from club was actually spot on)

Guest Roger Kint

Whether or not he goes in the summer, Enrique was quoted out of context from The Sun and Mail. Enrique didnt even say "I'm ok at Newcastle but I aspire to more". Complete lie or mistranslation.

The FULL original interview translated to English is http://toonarmymia.tumblr.com/post/3365889437/the-original-jose-enrique-article-translated-from: (once read, the statement from club was actually spot on)

We already had that translated the other day thanks

Guest toonarmymia

We already had that translated the other day thanks

No, the translation yesterday was only a fraction of the interview.

Guest toonarmymia

José Enrique: “Liverpool? I’m at home but do not close the door to anything”

The Newcastle defender was sincere in MARCA.com to discuss his future. · Showing ambitious and wants to keep growing as a player · “I tell my children later that his father has played and been selected by the Champions (Spain)”

Jose Enrique is ambitious. The Spanish wingback has the most minutes in the Premier League and has led high performance teams like Liverpool, Manchester United and Aston Villa are interested in him. Recognizes that is very comfortable in Newcastle but wants to aim higher.

How do you analyze the season that is making the Newcastle?

The Premier League is tight and is difficult to be placed in the upper part of the table. We have won several important games and are now ninth. Our position is good and the next two games we play in St. James Park. With three more games would be safe, which is the main objective.

Do you think there team to get into Europe League?

You never know but it is very difficult. That was the first goal of the season, but the reality is different. Today it is very difficult to get into the Europa League. The staff has been cut with the departures we’ve had. (THIS IN CONTEXT TO THE DEPARTURE OF CARROLL CHANGING THE CLUBS CHANCES OF GETTING INTO EUROPE).

Do you think the progress will be affected by Andy Carroll going to Liverpool?

Yes, but only because of Carroll. He was a great striker for us, won all the aerial balls and was a key player for Newcastle. But other players are gone and we have a reduced squad. There are colleagues who made their debut in the Premiership this year and we have positions that we have no coverage. We all know that we have a young workforce and if we play with teams ‘top’ … If we have any injury of any major player, will have problems. I have been promised that all the money going to sign players Carroll. I hope so.

Speaking of Liverpool, the ‘red’ have looked at you for next season …

I read in English newspapers that teams like Liverpool, Manchester United and Aston Villa want me and that’s a compliment. They are big teams in England. Now I’m happy at Newcastle but will not close the door to anything. I love the fans here and the city. I have suffered with the team, with the relegation two years ago and have to be realistic. Newcastle is not acting right, has made promises it has not kept and I am ambitious. I want to play in the Champions League, major competitions and to go to the Spanish team.

You have 16 months to complete their contract, Do you intend to stay in Newcastle?

I’ve always said I’m good on this team. It is true that I have promised things that have not complied. Like any player, I want to win titles and not the goal is permanence. I want to say to my children in the future I’ve played the Champions League or the Spanish. I am ambitious and I do not close the door to anything.

Little by little, he is knocking on the doors of the selection, is able to make the jump to the Reds (Spanish National Team)?

I have the illusion of the senior national team debut. I work to get the chance someday. I want to be prepared to do well with reds. Now is complicated because it is betting on the World block. That’s fair.But I’m ready to jump in and have a good performance. I am one who thinks that work, everything comes.

Been posted a few times already. Including a translation from a Spanish speaker.

I think Jose's clutching at straws a bit tbh. Sure, the English press made what he said sound a bit worse (shock, horror) but he wasn't particularly misquoted IMO.