José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

We had two positions sorted for years to come in the PL: LB & #9. Can't see us filling either slot with similar quality any time soon. We're a selling club at the minute and there's nothing that can be done to change it. Just hurts that now we're seemingly on the up, players are jumping ship.

:thup:

I think we'll continue this trend for as long as Ashley is here as well, no matter how high we finish in the league.

I don't think relegation affected our status this season. I think we're where we are when Ashley took over.

We were ahead before we sacked Hughton, we've been behind since we sold Carroll.

What a convenient and self serving way of measuring our position. Let me try, we were behind before we sacked Hughton and we are now ahead after we appointed Pardew, bought HBA and gave Tiote a new contract. This is fun! :lol:

I don't remember the rest of the country saying we were consolidating our reputation as a stable, sensible club where players can concentrate on improving their games when we swapped Hughton for Pardew, and I don't remember the rest of the country saying we were heading upward to our traditional position in natural order of things as a leading club when we sealed the second Tiote contract in 6 months, but ok.

That's the point, my measurement is as subjective as yours, they are both designed to fit our predetermined conclusion/position.

Social status is a subjective thing, that's obvious, but measurement of the actual attitudes towards something can be pretty straightforward. It's not just a case of making random statements you can't back up and assuming you won't get pulled up on them.

Not sure what my predetermined conclusion is supposed to be - if church bells had rung declaring how savvy we were for hiring Pardew, I would have just thought people are stupid, and said as much. I wouldn't have pretended they actually agreed with me, or changed my opinion to fit in with them, which logically you seem to be implying.

Unless you are going to start producing some statistics, your "measurement of actual attitude" is equally subjective. Let me simplify my language for you, you have used measurement of when we were "ahead" and "behind" subjectively to nicely fit into your position and believe vis a vis Hughton and Pardew. It's fine if that is your believe, but that is just your subjective assessment (which makes it as valid as my own subjective assessment whether you agree with it or not). It is not  an objective measurement of actual attitude as your put it.

Being a club in our position and considered a "selling club" has little to do with Ashley and a lot more to do with reality.

Not sure to be honest. We could finish 8th tomorrow. Considering Liverpool will probably finish 6th, why should we be selling our best players to them? We should be buying to compete with them really.

This is a very difficult situation for both the club and Enrique. Enrique can do no wrong for me in this situation (unless he signed for Sunderland), he stuck with us during our relegation and for me, for someone with such obvious talent its a pretty ringing endorsement for his character to stick around in such difficult times.

My reading of this situation is that Enriques willingness to leave revolves around Euro 2012. He has one year to get into that squad and no matter how well he's played for us he's not gonna get the profile that perhaps he deserves, its profile which should be completely irrelevant but this doesnt seem to be the case.

I dont think he can afford to stay even one more year, in hindsight it would of been a good move to get his contract sorted after promotion so we protected ourselves a little more, its become the case and we shall pay the price for it.

Bytheway, I think that theres a staggering amount of delusion and arrogance in suggesting we should be "competing" with Liverpool. Spurs, perhaps but whether you like it or not Liverpool are a huge club and are street above us and have been for some time now.

EDIT: Just as a side note to this international ambition 'theory', if he doesn't make it to next years squad, he'll be 28 by the time he plays his first international tournament.

I know I said that Jose Enrique can "afford" to spend another year here, but this post does put a different spin on the situation, especially the edit...

In fantasy land, Mike Ashley would be so determined to keep Jose Enrique that he would fly del Bosque over in his personal helicopter, put him up in Newcastle's swankiest hotel and have his watch tomorrow's game from the best corporate box in SJP - when our number three realises that del Bosque is watching him, he'll play out of his skin, win a call up and sign one of those Tiote-style seven year deals...

Ah, fantasy-land...

Guest DairylandMag

I get a little tired of people talking about Enrique being loyal because he stayed after relegation. I don't recall teams tripping over themselves to come sign him. The guy was on pretty substantial wages (and really hadn't played up to that level yet), so of course he was going to stay.

Guest BooBoo

Exactly. It wasn't loyalty that kept Jose here after relegation. It was because his performances in his first two years were poor-average and nobody was interested.

Being a club in our position and considered a "selling club" has little to do with Ashley and a lot more to do with reality.

Not sure to be honest. We could finish 8th tomorrow. Considering Liverpool will probably finish 6th, why should we be selling our best players to them? We should be buying to compete with them really.

Ive asked this before and never seem to get an answer, but apart from Carroll, who else has Ashley sold who we didnt want him too?

Meanwhile, the Sunday Sun can reveal that Jose Enrique’s agent is scheduled to meet club secretary Lee Charnley this week as United step up their efforts to cling onto the left-back.

The club fear his head has been turned by rival clubs, but the player is yet to give any indication that he wants to leave. A prospective move to Liverpool has been complicated by the Reds unwillingness to match his wages – after Ashley Cole he is the best paid left-back in the league.

Enrique is represented by his brother and the club will press him for a decision on his future so they can decide whether to lodge a second bid for Cheikh M’Bengue, Toulouse’s top-rated France under-21 international full-back.

http://www.sundaysun.co.uk/sport/newcastle-united/nufc-news/2011/05/22/newcastle-united-set-to-sign-international-midfielder-79310-28739478/

Guest ykmkmdd

after Ashley Cole he is the best paid left-back in the league.

Not sure if that's right (smells a bit like more club PR) but if it is I would feel a lot more confident in keeping him....

Guest Stephen927

Well he hasn't had a new deal since we signed him, and we were handing out pretty daft contracts at the time.

I get a little tired of people talking about Enrique being loyal because he stayed after relegation. I don't recall teams tripping over themselves to come sign him. The guy was on pretty substantial wages (and really hadn't played up to that level yet), so of course he was going to stay.

The same goes for Colo, Barton and Nolan.

Colo, yes.

I honestly believe Barton and Nolan (as well as Smith, Harper, Butt and of course Shola) wanted to stay and wanted to put things right.

In case of Enrique, I think if a good bid had come in he would have gone.

Colo, yes.

I honestly believe Barton and Nolan (as well as Smith, Harper, Butt and of course Shola) wanted to stay and wanted to put things right.

In case of Enrique, I think if a good bid had come in he would have gone.

Maybe. But none of them were in demand ...

Exactly. It wasn't loyalty that kept Jose here after relegation. It was because his performances in his first two years were poor-average and nobody was interested.

Thank you! Finally someone understands.

It isn't so much that he stayed that I appreciate.  More his attitude and performances for 2 years having done so

None of them asked to leave though, regardless of interest.

None of them asked to leave though, regardless of interest.

Because no-one would have wanted them, especially at the wages they are on here.