José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

I really just hope the new lads we've brought in are the same. It does feel gutting to have lost three really key players in such a short space of time, but all is not lost if they have been/will be effectively replaced. There are still a lot of good fucking players at this club.

I know this is going to sound naive on my behalf but I honestly only view it as 2. Phasing out/replacing Nolan was in my eyes a sign of progress rather than a loss (as risky as it is) and was something I was expecting to happen.

Cabaye will hopefully prove to be the dog's bollocks and a far better player overall, but I don't think that there's any doubt that Nolan was a "key player" at the end of this season. I know it's semantics, but he was club captain, scored loads of goals, seemed well-liked by our other "good" players, etc. He was a huge part of how we played.

I really, really liked Nolan though. I do appreciate there are plenty on here who weren't as sold on him as I was.

I was all for phasing Nolan out but I'd have far rather that process involved him becoming a squad player because there were already players getting in the first team ahead of him on merit, not selling him when he was always in the first team when fit.  That's generally what happens when you phase players out, they're on the bench a bit first.  Touch wood with Cabaye like because we're hanging our hat on him to a degree imo.

Haven't commented on this yet but obviously really disappointed, no matter how inevitable it was.

As usual with a few on here there's a bit too much of the "well he wanted to leave, what could we do?" as opposed to addressing the reasons why our best players always want to leave the club, but fuck it.  I'm genuinely becoming more and more apathetic, we've built a team and ripped it apart.  What I said about the team that got relegated at the time was that I hated most of our players, there was a real lack of likeable figures at our club.  Well I'm down to a handful of players I like and rate again but fuck it, just keep supporting them and see what happens I suppose.  The feel good factor has definitely vanished and you often worry about clubs where that's the case, but I think we'll get away with it this season, just about.

It upset me to see Enrique arriving at Liverpool today but he'll never get booed off me unless he's a twat about us in the press.  Regardless of how well he was paid he was a great professional for us and you've only got one career.

I don't disagree with much of that but when we talk about why our best players want to leave the club, which ones are you talking about? There's been Carroll who went for a staggering fee after 6 months in the premier league, and there's Enrique who had a year left on his contract and was going to leave for the highest bidder.

Seems like to me the only bidders in either case were Liverpool and Cunny Dalglish scavenging on his old haunts. The other shitbag scousers, Nolan and Barton didn't attract any serious attention from the Mersey scum. I wonder why?

I was all for phasing Nolan out but I'd have far rather that process involved him becoming a squad player because there were already players getting in the first team ahead of him on merit, not selling him when he was always in the first team when fit.  That's generally what happens when you phase players out, they're on the bench a bit first. 

Yep. Agree.

Ive accepted at this point that we will lose our best players and hope for top 10 whilst Ashley takes back his loan gradually & decides what to do from there.

Our club will be in a much better position financially at that point if he manages that, its true. Its a risky tactic though which relies a lot on our scouting system & ability to find bargains. Then its down to whether he sells it or he decides he wants a fresh start and to invest in potential success. I imagine he will sell.

I was all for phasing Nolan out but I'd have far rather that process involved him becoming a squad player because there were already players getting in the first team ahead of him on merit, not selling him when he was always in the first team when fit.  That's generally what happens when you phase players out, they're on the bench a bit first.

Yep. Agree.

Would have been difficult to do this organically given his captaincy, strong personality and standing in the squad. Might be less of a fuss all around to just go ahead and sell him.

Polic has nailed it, really. The Nolan decision lives or dies by Cabaye, basically. If he's as good as he should be, then Nolan will soon be forgotten by his doting fans. Obviously generally playing better football and finishing higher up the table will help too, of course.

I was all for phasing Nolan out but I'd have far rather that process involved him becoming a squad player because there were already players getting in the first team ahead of him on merit, not selling him when he was always in the first team when fit.  That's generally what happens when you phase players out, they're on the bench a bit first.  Touch wood with Cabaye like because we're hanging our hat on him to a degree imo.

How do you phase players out on a 4 year contract at 50k a week? Nolan as a squad player? Are you for real? :lol:

Haven't commented on this yet but obviously really disappointed, no matter how inevitable it was.

As usual with a few on here there's a bit too much of the "well he wanted to leave, what could we do?" as opposed to addressing the reasons why our best players always want to leave the club, but fuck it.  I'm genuinely becoming more and more apathetic, we've built a team and ripped it apart.  What I said about the team that got relegated at the time was that I hated most of our players, there was a real lack of likeable figures at our club.  Well I'm down to a handful of players I like and rate again but fuck it, just keep supporting them and see what happens I suppose.  The feel good factor has definitely vanished and you often worry about clubs where that's the case, but I think we'll get away with it this season, just about.

It upset me to see Enrique arriving at Liverpool today but he'll never get booed off me unless he's a twat about us in the press.  Regardless of how well he was paid he was a great professional for us and you've only got one career.

I don't disagree with much of that but when we talk about why our best players want to leave the club, which ones are you talking about? There's been Carroll who went for a staggering fee after 6 months in the premier league, and there's Enrique who had a year left on his contract and was going to leave for the highest bidder.

Seems like to me the only bidders in either case were Liverpool and Cunny Dalglish scavenging on his old haunts. The other shitbag scousers, Nolan and Barton didn't attract any serious attention from the Mersey scum. I wonder why?

Given, Milner, N'Zogbia.  Nolan counts as well, he left because he thought the people running the club were cunts.  It seems quite a few of our players are thinking that they're cunts, so this is a problem that needs to be addressed.  Maybe Llambias should just stop lying to people, it's never helpful after the first 5 minutes.  I just await the dispute the club ends up having with Coloccini leading to his exit, with Ben Arfa, Tiote, etc.  Then Ba, then Cabaye...  It's more than likely that this will continue to happen.

I fully believe Enrique saw the Carroll sale and thought "righteo, I'm away unless they convince me otherwise".  He probably viewed the relegation as a blip, saw us building a team under a popular manager to get promoted then saw the manager sacked and Carroll sold.  I think he'd have stayed if we made big statements in the transfer market this summer, but like us he's seen us fanny about with free transfers then had visions of spending the next few years of his career treading water.

How do you phase players out on a 4 year contract at 50k a week? Nolan as a squad player? Are you for real? :lol:

He had 2 years left on his contract, there's no reason we couldn't have went into the season with him on his present deal if we'd just treated him with a bit of respect and told him the situation.  But yeah fair enough, lets replace a proven Premier League goalscorer with someone who's never played in the Premier League and hope for the best.

If you can't grasp the idea of phasing a senior player out gradually rather than just getting rid and taking a big risk on his replacement then fair enough.

He had 2 years left on his contract, there's no reason we couldn't have went into the season with him on his present deal if we'd just treated him with a bit of respect and told him the situation.  But yeah fair enough, lets replace a proven Premier League goalscorer with someone who's never played in the Premier League and hope for the best.

If you can't grasp the idea of phasing a senior player out gradually rather than just getting rid and taking a big risk on his replacement then fair enough.

I thought he wanted a longer contract? Otherwise what was stopping him staying here and fighting for his place?

I don't disagree with much of that but when we talk about why our best players want to leave the club, which ones are you talking about? 

How about Given, N'Zogbia, Milner, Bassong, Beye? Anyone with talent, ambition, and options left.

The one's that stayed either had lots of baggage (Barton) or were on prohibitively high wages-- that is, not good enough for any club that could afford their salary.

Gutted honestly. Worst part of all is that we'll probably play Raylor on the left side or Shane which is just terrible. Will be absolutely raped since our fullbacks are iether non-existant or very very average footballer.

Gutted to say the least, but will be worse if we don't get a decent replacement.

Guest thenorthumbrian

As usual with a few on here there's a bit too much of the "well he wanted to leave, what could we do?" as opposed to addressing the reasons why our best players always want to leave the club, but f*** it.  I'm genuinely becoming more and more apathetic, we've built a team and ripped it apart.  What I said about the team that got relegated at the time was that I hated most of our players, there was a real lack of likeable figures at our club.  Well I'm down to a handful of players I like and rate again but f*** it, just keep supporting them and see what happens I suppose.  The feel good factor has definitely vanished and you often worry about clubs where that's the case, but I think we'll get away with it this season, just about.

It upset me to see Enrique arriving at Liverpool today but he'll never get booed off me unless he's a t*** about us in the press.  Regardless of how well he was paid he was a great professional for us and you've only got one career.

I really wish people who support other teams were coming out with moronic comments about "Tyne scum".

It might mean we were signing their players instead of selling all our proven premiership players.

Nolan was a good captain and committed to the Toon cause all the time he was here he does not deserve to be called a  "shitbag scouser."

You cretin.

We are now Wigan with 30,000 more fans.

"it was always Liverpool"

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr he accused the club of lying to him, he lied to all of us about when he would sign his new contract, never intended to sign it once these cunts had tapped him up. Knocked back moves to Spain & Italy, surely for international football a move to Spain would have been best for him?

What's the odds out of all the contact offers Liverpool were offering the highest wage.

Guest thenorthumbrian

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr he accused the club of lying to him, he lied to all of us about when he would sign his new contract, never intended to sign it once these c***s had tapped him up. Knocked back moves to Spain & Italy, surely for international football a move to Spain would have been best for him?

What's the odds out of all the contact offers Liverpool were offering the highest wage.

I do not blame any player leaving United these days.

Why would any half decent player with any ambition at all even want to stay?

skirge give it a rest man, your attempts to demonise anyone who leaves the club are childish at best

Why I am entitled to my opinion am I not ?

and in MY opinion the money was a big factor in his move to Liverpool, I may be wrong the same as your opinion on the deal may be wrong.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr he accused the club of lying to him, he lied to all of us about when he would sign his new contract, never intended to sign it once these c***s had tapped him up. Knocked back moves to Spain & Italy, surely for international football a move to Spain would have been best for him?

I do not blame any player leaving United these days.

Why would any half decent player with any ambition at all even want to stay?

I agree, any player is nuts to sign for this mess or to stay but at least he honest about why they leave.

skirge give it a rest man, your attempts to demonise anyone who leaves the club are childish at best

and in MY opinion the money was a big factor in his move to Liverpool, I may be wrong the same as your opinion on the deal may be wrong.

of course you're entitled, i just seems in every thread about a player leaving or possibly leaving you'll consider any possibility other than we're being run by a bunch of small timers and our quality players want and deserve better. i'd leave for a club with ambition as well, more money would simply be a consequence.

of course you're entitled, i just seems in every thread about a player leaving or possibly leaving you'll consider any possibility other than we're being run by a bunch of small timers and our quality players want and deserve better. i'd leave for a club with ambition as well, more money would simply be a consequence.

So if you were a young Spanish player playing in England and wanted to represent Spain do you think you would be better of playing your club football in Spain or England ?

Yes a bit of my anger is due to us losing a top player but also some of my anger is at him for the hit he spouted about staying.. I think his comments about the Liverpool move make it very clear he had no intention of staying here no matter who we signed.