José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Guest Howaythetoon

The last time Liverpool played good football was under Roy Evans with Fowler, Redknapp, Macmanaman et al playing for them. Under Houllier they were dour and direct, Gerrard to Owen, 1-0. Under Rafa they played slightly more expansive football but it was still defensive. When they bought Torress their football improved but overall they were still defensive and compact. Dalglish has them playing similarly. They have never been a fluent footballing side like we were under KK or Sir Bobby or Man Utd and Arsenal have been.

You're obviously a young person, Dalglishs' team played the best football I've seen from ANY team in this country.  It wasn't just good in attack it had class from back to front, we also played great football under Shanks and Paisley, are you trying to say that a team with Kenny Dalglish in it didn't play fluent football? 

Even now we play, most of the time, the way he had us playing last time he was manager. 

From Henry Winter

THE GREATEST ENGLISH SIDE EVER

Henry Winter

05 December 2005

When the current English champions play host to the current European champions at Stamford Bridge on Tuesday night, I'm sure the sports pages of every national newspaper will be given over to debating the merits of both sides.

As the reigning Premiership champions and current league leaders, a lot has quite rightly been written about this Chelsea team, but I was surprised earlier in the season when some people began hailing them as the greatest English side ever.

For all the millions that Roman Abramovich has spent and the great Arsenal side that went an entire season unbeaten in recent times, I still don't think any team comes near the Liverpool side of 1987-88.

That Liverpool team was the best side I have ever seen grace British soil. It is my favourite team of all-time and summed up for me what football is all about. What Kenny Dalglish created there was a delight to behold.

The Arsenal team that went through the season unbeaten a couple of years ago was a special team but the problem with them was that they had a psychological flaw. It might not have cost them any defeats but when teams defended deep against them and went tight on Thierry Henry, they didn't seem to have a Plan B. There was also a streak of indiscipline about them. In terms of the balance from defence to attack though, the Liverpool team of 1987-88 with John Barnes at his prime would be ahead of them every time.

Dalglish created a fantastic football team with wingers and a goalscoring phenomenon that was John Aldridge. When Ian Rush, the best striker in the league, left for Italy, Kenny signed a player who not only looked like Rush but also scored like him and built the team around him.

I remember there was a collapsed sewer in the Kop during the summer of 1987 and Liverpool had to play three away games before Anfield was ready. I remember the first game was at Highbury when Peter Beardsley and Barnes set up Aldridge for the first goal. Then Steve Nicol scored with a 35-yard header for the winner.

It was strange not playing at Anfield but in a way it built up the anticipation among the fans because everyone wanted to see Barnes, Aldridge and Beardsley.

A couple of moments that stand out for me from that season include a goal at Anfield scored by Barnes against Queens Park Rangers which was something else and the 5-0 win over Nottingham Forest at Anfield. I remember the great Tom Finney claiming it was the best performance ever and he should know.

I sometimes curse my luck and wish I could have covered more of the matches from that time than I did because it was early in my journalistic career. When I wasn't working, I went to a few of the games myself because that team for me was a pleasure to watch with Barnes sensational all season.

That team contained everything you need to make a wonderful football side - it had a tight defence, it had wonderful attacking football from midfield and great finishing from John Aldridge.

The sadness for Liverpool and for the rest of Europe was that this great team was not allowed to compete in the European Cup. Europe's loss was my gain though because watching a team like the 1987-88 one is what I got into this job for. Liverpool played beautiful, winning football and over 15 years on, I've yet to see another English team come close to matching them.

I was too young to see those sides so I stand by my comments.

Oh I see.  You writing this then is not worth the few seconds it took you to hit the keys?

"They have never been a fluent footballing side like we were under KK or Sir Bobby or Man Utd and Arsenal have been."

Why comment on something you know fuck all about then?

Guest Howaythetoon

Oh I see.  You writing this then is not worth the few seconds it took you to hit the keys?

"They have never been a fluent footballing side like we were under KK or Sir Bobby or Man Utd and Arsenal have been."

Why comment on something you know f*** all about then?

Perhaps I should have added "in my time watching football"

I know it pains the many Liverpool fans who consider that pass and move was invented by LFC, that in the last 20 years or so your sides have generally played unattractive football despite having some really good sides and indeed fantastic footballers.

For me the side Roy Evans was building at Liverpool played fantastic football, similar to the footy we played under KK, fast, direct (not long ball direct, direct as in wave afer wave of attacks) with pass and move and simple footy at the heart of it all. I used to love watching yous back then with Fowler and Mcmanaman. Fowler could have been one of the best ever but for injuries and lifestyle. He was shit hot back in the day.

I know it pains the many Liverpool fans who consider that pass and move was invented by LFC, that in the last 20 years or so your sides have generally played unattractive football despite having some really good sides and indeed fantastic footballers.

For me the side Roy Evans was building at Liverpool played fantastic football, similar to the footy we played under KK, fast, direct (not long ball direct, direct as in wave afer wave of attacks) with pass and move and simple footy at the heart of it all. I used to love watching yous back then with Fowler and Mcmanaman. Fowler could have been one of the best ever but for injuries and lifestyle. He was s*** hot back in the day.

You see this is where football fans should keep their comments to those about their own teams instead of preaching  about other teams.  Rafas '08 '09 team played some of the best football since Dalglish's last team, and his Valencia side were voted the best visiting team to Anfield, not only by the fans, but the players too, and that was before he became our manager.  It probably played it's part in Moores and Parry bringing him in.

I don't for one minute think we invented pass and move, but it rankles when I see some football ignorant person pontificating about something they don't have a clue about.

For me the side Roy Evans was building at Liverpool played fantastic football, similar to the footy we played under KK, fast, direct (not long ball direct, direct as in wave afer wave of attacks) with pass and move and simple footy at the heart of it all. I used to love watching yous back then with Fowler and Mcmanaman. Fowler could have been one of the best ever but for injuries and lifestyle. He was s*** hot back in the day.

You see this is where football fans should keep their comments to those about their own teams instead of preaching  about other teams.  Rafas '08 '09 team played some of the best football since Dalglish's last team, and his Valencia side were voted the best visiting team to Anfield, not only by the fans, but the players too, and that was before he became our manager.  It probably played it's part in Moores and Parry bringing him in.

I don't for one minute think we invented pass and move, but it rankles when I see some football ignorant person pontificating about something they don't have a clue about.

Wind your neck in mate, we had Dalglish as manager here at Newcastle and he turned KK's pass and move side into a bunch of defensive bruisers so you need to temper your rose tinted view with some perspective. HTT was right about Roy Evans side as well, it might have been flawed but they played some lovely stuff. I don't think he was intentionally slagging off Rafa by praising Evans side.

Guest Howaythetoon

So I shouldn't offer an opinion on which LFC side I regard as the best footballing LFC side I've seen, because, err, I've never seen the all? Fuck off! Rafa's sides in general played functional, defensive minded football based on percentages. A less crude version of Sam Allardyce football. Houllier was similar where as Dalglish's current side is neither hear nor there. Roy Evans' side played attractive attacking football, the best I've seen in my time, from a LFC side.

Guest Howaythetoon

By the way I regard Rafa as a top manager and thought his Valencia side was fantastic to watch. I remember them dooing a Barca on whoever they play, when they played LFC at Anfield and thought if he could transfer that to Liverpool they would be unstoppable under him, for whatever reason he couldn't. That said even his Valencia side was first and foremost defensive. I believe they played such good football because they were a well ballanced side, with a class spine and some very fine footballers. He could never quite get that balance at LFC and spent a shit load on mostly average or not good enough players in the process trying to. Torress did bring a new dimension he alone couldn't do it all, Rafa needed a few Torress type players in other positions to get it right.

So I shouldn't offer an opinion on which LFC side I regard as the best footballing LFC side I've seen, because, err, I've never seen the all? f*** off! Rafa's sides in general played functional, defensive minded football based on percentages. A less crude version of Sam Allardyce football. Houllier was similar where as Dalglish's current side is neither hear nor there. Roy Evans' side played attractive attacking football, the best I've seen in my time, from a LFC side.

Your opinion isn't worth much considering you haven't been watching football long.  You inferred that Liverpool had NEVER been in the same class as Arsenal, United or your own team, which I found ludicrous.  Where do you think Keegan learned his trade?  Do you think he played in a team that didn't play fluid football? 

Dalglish knows exactly how to play fluid football, he's proved it, and the big difference between him and Keegan is that Dalglish was a winner at attacking, fluid football, Keegan never was.  Not that it should bother you at all, enjoying going to the match and watching good football is great, but don't try to judge other clubs teams when you don't watch enough of them live to make judgements. 

Your comments about Rafa and Allardyce are so ridiculously wrong I'll not comment on them.

If people expressing their opinions 'rankles you' then maybe you should p*ss off and do something else with your time. Sure there's plenty of decent walls you could go and push.

Sorry, never pushed a wall in my life but thanks for the suggestion.  At least I have the guts to challenge the things that rankle on YOUR  own site, I don't scurry off  to RAWK with my copy and paste. 

Ban me if you don't like my responses.

So I shouldn't offer an opinion on which LFC side I regard as the best footballing LFC side I've seen, because, err, I've never seen the all? f*** off! Rafa's sides in general played functional, defensive minded football based on percentages. A less crude version of Sam Allardyce football. Houllier was similar where as Dalglish's current side is neither hear nor there. Roy Evans' side played attractive attacking football, the best I've seen in my time, from a LFC side.

Your opinion isn't worth much considering you haven't been watching football long.  You inferred that Liverpool had NEVER been in the same class as Arsenal, United or your own team, which I found ludicrous.  Where do you think Keegan learned his trade?  Do you think he played in a team that didn't play fluid football? 

Dalglish knows exactly how to play fluid football, he's proved it, and the big difference between him and Keegan is that Dalglish was a winner at attacking, fluid football, Keegan never was.  Not that it should bother you at all, enjoying going to the match and watching good football is great, but don't try to judge other clubs teams when you don't watch enough of them live to make judgements. 

Your comments about Rafa and Allardyce are so ridiculously wrong I'll not comment on them.

Hate to break it to you, but that's some serious bullshit. Are you talking about the King Cnut who sold all our star players in the 90s that *cough* Keegan brought in? and replacing them with such fine, attacking, fluid-playing footballers such as John Barnes and Ian Rush... who were in their late *cough* 40s?

Guest Howaythetoon

I like Dalglish and I'm not one of those Toon fans who think he destroyed us but his football at Blackburn, Newcastle and now Liverpool is not very attractive to watch.

I like Dalglish and I'm not one of those Toon fans who think he destroyed us but his football at Blackburn, Newcastle and now Liverpool is not very attractive to watch.

And how often do you watch us live?

Guest Howaythetoon

Very long? Over 20 years fuck me. Would love to have watched a whole century of footy but I cant help only being 31. What a cretin :lol:

Guest Howaythetoon

Saw more than a handful of games thus far to get a good overall picture. I'm not knocking the man by the way so drop your ultra guard FFS :lol: I like Dalglish and although I can't stand LFC I wouldn't mind Dalglish doing well, the game could do with a good football man doing well which I believe Dalglish to be.

I watched most of your games last season and for the most part your football was dull to the point of distraction, spanning both the Hodgson and Dalglish spells. The only modicum of enjoyment I got out of your games was when Suarez came along and would do something interesting once or twice with the ball but that was usually balanced out by his cheating.

Saw more than a handful of games thus far to get a good overall picture. I'm not knocking the man by the way so drop your ultra guard FFS :lol: I like Dalglish and although I can't stand LFC I wouldn't mind Dalglish doing well, the game could do with a good football man doing well which I believe Dalglish to be.

Really?  Well I've seen all 7 league games live and of those only one have I seen us play shite football.  Four of those games we played some brilliant football, and two were just ok.

Sorry if I come across all defensive or offensive, but I get annoyed when football comments appear to only emanate from the post sky era.  You're entitled to your opinion, apologies.

I watched most of your games last season and for the most part your football was dull to the point of distraction, spanning both the Hodgson and Dalglish spells. The only modicum of enjoyment I got out of your games was when Suarez came along and would do something interesting once or twice with the ball but that was usually balanced out by his cheating.

I would have to say you're lying, or to be polite, mistaken.  The difference between Hodgsons football and Dalglish's was immense. 

I think PhilB is cracking under the abuse Liverpool receive on here. All the jibes have done him in, along with the fact that Liverpool don't look like they're going to achieve anything soon

I don't do cracking mate. Jibes are worthless if they have no substance.  Liverpool will have a far better season than the last two.