José Enrique

eliassenfredrik

Look at the league table Jose :) I loved him as a NUFC player, but lost a lot of respect for him with the way he left, saying stuff like he wanted to wait until we are free of relegataion before signing a new contract, then never signing one.

If we finish ahead of them at the end of May I'll be looking for any thoughts him and Carroll have to say.

He never actually said anything at that time, it all came through the manager. Pretty much the opposite of Barton, yet getting the same treatment. Strange.

Don't see much reason to dislike Jose really, at the time he left he was getting too good for a bottom-half club and his contract was running down. As it happens we've gone on to do well and he could have hung around, but at the time it was inevitable he would leave.

• 4 weeks later...

Fuck him. Every time I've seen him this season, I haven't been able to hate him, still get a smile on my face thinking of when he played for us. But simple little sentences like that, showing that he's scarily bought into the pricks' delusional shite, fuck him.

Lush bit of skill yesterday but unfortunately for him the way Spain play with the FBs being the auxiliery wingers he isn't going to get picked as he isn't good enough in those forward areas. Shame really, as any other country he'd probably get a game (Brazil aside)

Guest ObiChrisKenobi

I think I deserve a chance," he told Marca.

I think that just for the fact that I've managed to play for a team like Liverpool, they should be thinking of me.

They're rubbing off on him :lol:

To be fair, I think he thought that before he left (and probably why he left). Seems very ambitious/determined to get into the Spanish National side and his decisions will be based on that.

Liverpool are a big name in Spain, possibly the most popular PL team around here.

To be frank I think we can use somebody of his profile, as an alternative to smaller players like Alba or Monreal. But if he wants to play for Spain, moaning in the press about not being called up (he says he should have been in there in front of Montoya when he got called up) is not going to help him one bit.

To be fair I'm certain that was part of his thinking when he signed. We're not exactly a big draw in Spain as most of the players we've signed from there have been unmitigated disasters (Marcelino, Luque, Xisco and even Colo and Enrique struggled first season). Seems utter madness he can't get in the Spanish squad let alone the team. He's probably been one of Liverpool's best players this season too.

Guest michaelfoster

was obvious he was always thinking country first, club second when he played for us, he never wanted to sign a new contract so all the crap about 'ill sign when we are safe then i will sign when we get some better players in was all bullshit.

was obvious he was always thinking country first, club second when he played for us, he never wanted to sign a new contract so all the crap about 'ill sign when we are safe then i will sign when we get some better players in was all bullshit.

He never said that. So yeah, it was bullshit.

I can't blame him for not expecting us to do as well as we have this season, but Liverpool was a meh step up unlikely to bring CL football. At the price he went for, I don't quite understand why Arsenal or Citeh even weren't in for him.

He sounds really bitter about not being called up for Spain in the original interview. Also says he'd sign for Barça or Madrid without batting an eyelid.

Wouldn't any Spanish footballer on the planet say that though? Well apart from the ones that already play for them.

During the last round of international matches, there was a Spanish correspondent on the radio who was asked why Enrique had not been called up for Spain.  He said that it had been raised in a press conference with the manager and apparently Enrique was not even under consideration and according to the pundit (can't remember who it was), they have not even been monitoring him.

I remember the interview because I had thought once he moved to Liverpool, he would be called up immediately buy obviously he is not in their immediate plans.

He sounds really bitter about not being called up for Spain in the original interview. Also says he'd sign for Barça or Madrid without batting an eyelid.

Wouldn't any Spanish footballer on the planet say that though? Well apart from the ones that already play for them.

What difference does that make?

What difference does that make?

Aye fair point.

Still, not going to please Liverpool fans. He was being asked if signing for Liverpool sated his aspirations and I was expecting the usual "yeah, it's one of the biggest clubs in the world" cliché. Then again, it was an interview for a Spanish newspaper.

Regarding the NT, he's not going to get a chance so close to the EC. Del Bosque has made his mind about using Monreal or Alba and Enrique will have to wait until after the EC, when our manager will be more likely to try new players. Personally I think that him and one of Monreal/Alba would be great cover for the position.

During the last round of international matches, there was a Spanish correspondent on the radio who was asked why Enrique had not been called up for Spain.  He said that it had been raised in a press conference with the manager and apparently Enrique was not even under consideration and according to the pundit (can't remember who it was), they have not even been monitoring him.

I remember the interview because I had thought once he moved to Liverpool, he would be called up immediately buy obviously he is not in their immediate plans.

seems a bit odd but some players just get unfairly overlooked if the face doesn't fit. robert for us is a good example. as soon as he signed for us he just stopped being called up, despite the fact that he became a better player leaving france. arteta is another, yes spain have had great midfielders but considering he played out wide some fairly average players like joaquin, garcia, reyes got caps ahead of him, even when aragones point blank refused to employ wingers in his side. kind of strange he never got a single cap.

enrique is the player that we actually missed since the sales.  nolan  who cares, carroll 35 mill not bothered,  barton serial twitter attention seeking freak not missed.

its a shame we didnt break the bank to keep him.  then again we dont know how much he wanted to join his other spainards at pool,  maybe it wasnt all about the money,

but in terms of on field contribution, what a shame we havent kept hold of his services,  taylor is doing a decent job but enrique is head ans shoulders above , skill wise , athletically wise, just about everything way better than anuthing we got currently in the squad that can be deployed as a left back.