Seven managers in the last ten years. How long has Allardyce got?

Parky

Big Sam is the man most of us wanted, someone to sort the club out from top to bottom with excellent organisational skills and a true vision regarding the support staff, fitness and player relationships. He is one who builds from the ground up. But what is going to happen if results on the pitch are variable? What if the style of football (looking ok so far) isn't what is expected by the Toon faithful? After all he wasn't the choice of the current owner who might have his own ideas about who the manager should be.

Will Sam be given enough time and what how long should that be?

Ironically, I'm unsure now we have new ownership. I think Fred would have given Sam time (he had nothing else to lose by that point, and it was the man he'd wanted for ages) and I'm not sure Ashley/Mort will.

He should get three full years minimum if you ask me. Bringing him in at the start of the summer makes a huge change and should help.

Should be allowed the length of his current contract at the minimum. As long as we aren't in a relegation scrap I think he should be given the time to implement all of his plans, which go beyond what takes place on the football pitch.

I think with the type of things he is introducing both on and off the pitch, things will only get better over time as these methods become more familiar to the players.

Big Sam is the man most of us wanted, someone to sort the club out from top to bottom with excellent organisational skills and a true vision regarding the support staff, fitness and player relationships. He is one who builds from the ground up. But what is going to happen if results on the pitch are variable? What if the style of football (looking ok so far) isn't what is expected by the Toon faithful? After all he wasn't the choice of the current owner who might have his own ideas about who the manager should be.

Will Sam be given enough time and what how long should that be?

10 years! at fucking least!

I just hope we get off to a great start! Even if we don't, I don't think you could blame him, as he's done the best with the resources available to him!

Next season should be used to judge him, as he's bound to have a shit load of cash!

C'mon Big Sam, were behind you and your freebies all the way!

Ashley will give him 2 seasons I reckon to make his mark. If, in two years we're not looking like challenging for a CL place Ashley will probably boot him, unfortunately.

He's got as long until the FA come calling when McClaren gets sacked imo. Then he'll be off

I'm not so sure you know. I think he was only so eager to get the England job because he was still at Bolton. Now he is at Newcastle, which is a club with greater potential and far more resources than he had at Bolton, I think he would rather be involved with club football and have a chance to challenge the top four on more of a level playing field.

If he does go on to manage England I think it will only be after he has achieved something with Newcastle, and has been here for at least his initial three years.

I haven't seen anything so far that makes me think he hasn't got the backing of the new regime. We've just spent £12m on Smith and Enrique despite all the crap spouted by the doom-mongers claiming Sam wasn't going to be given cash. Things seem to be progressing quite nicely from where I'm sitting.

Guest microbar

He must be given at least 4 years to get everything in place,

I cant think of a better person to be in control at the moment,  :celb:

He's got as long until the FA come calling when McClaren gets sacked imo. Then he'll be off

Big possibility.

Another possiblity is that the cry from the fans (well media calling themselves 'the voice of the fans') is the FA appoint a foreigner again, just like the cry was to get rid of one last summer. They bow very easily, i expect them to go abroad after McCrapper.

It's not just a question of how much time Ashley and co. will give him. It's also a question of how much time we give him.

The recent widespread panic and doom-mongering when our transfer activity hit a lull is a reminder that, boy, can we be one fickle, impatient, unrealistic bunch! I hope we grant Allardyce the same latitude we gave Sir Bobby in his first couple of seasons, because there are no instant answers to the mess our club is in.

I think Allardyce should be allowed the three years of his contract, and then more if it's working. Successful clubs are the ones who find the right manager and stick with him.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

Impossible after the Bungs scandal.

if they take venables back, they will accept anybody

Guest trotter58

From where i'm sitting it appears that Allardyce's misfortune was to arrive just as the club changed hands. Big businesman want to leave their mark when they pay big bucks for a club. Just look at Abramovich at Chelsea. Ranieri was doing a good job but he still got the boot because Abramovich wanted Mourinho in, so he could then claim credit for all the subsequent success. Allardyce has never had to deal with the pressure he will come under at Newcastle, we lost SIX games in a row in each of the last two seasons at Bolton! If that happens at Newcastle, he'll be out the door!

From where i'm sitting it appears that Allardyce's misfortune was to arrive just as the club changed hands. Big businesman want to leave their mark when they pay big bucks for a club. Just look at Abramovich at Chelsea. Ranieri was doing a good job but he still got the boot because Abramovich wanted Mourinho in, so he could then claim credit for all the subsequent success. Allardyce has never had to deal with the pressure he will come under at Newcastle, we lost SIX games in a row in each of the last two seasons at Bolton! If that happens at Newcastle, he'll be out the door!

Did you hear Smith saying that we would be coming to Bolton to take all three points? You have been warned.

Difference there was that Mourinho was a clear class above Ranieri, having just won the Champions League etc. Can we can attract someone massively better than Allardyce? Not so sure.

Agree with your point overall though.

With the players at his disposal now I think it will be very difficult for us to lose six games in a row. Even Roeder couldn't manage that.

Managers don't lose six games in a row, players do.

Guest trotter58

Difference there was that Mourinho was a clear class above Ranieri, having just won the Champions League etc. Can we can attract someone massively better than Allardyce? Not so sure.

I hear that Capello is looking for a job...

Guest trotter58

With the players at his disposal now I think it will be very difficult for us to lose six games in a row. Even Roeder couldn't manage that.

Managers don't lose six games in a row, players do.

You're missing the point.

Agree with your point overall though.

I think Abramovich was also hugely influenced by Pini Zahavi who would have been pushing for the likes of Mourinho.

As our new owners don't apear to be big football people I'm not sure they would have really had anyone else in mind. I think they would have been happy Allardyce was already in place. I think their focus is more to stabilize the clubs management off the pitch more than anything, Allardyce is a proven manager in this league and I doubt they will be looking to out him unless we do really really badly.

I think the assumption that Ashley will behave the same way as Abramovich because they're both billionaires is, well, daft.

Apart from both having humungous amounts of loot (though Abramovich has as much as Ashley several times over) and both owning football clubs, there is very little the two men have in common.