Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

Disagree with HTT's hair splitting entirely.

"Darkie" is ok, "nigger" is better than "coloured" blah blah.

Nonsense.

Language is not static or definite. It's not written in stone. Meaning is derived in a number of different ways including context, intonation, etc and it's all subject to change.

There is no one racist word, it's all about intent.

Take "coloured." For HTT that's incredibly vulgar. Yet, "people of colour" seems to be the politically correct, accepted, terminology for all non-white people. Does a change of sentence structure make that much difference? Nah.

Guest Howaythetoon

Another phrase - "my nigger" - populised by Denzil Washington in Training Day, means 'mate' or 'buddy',

:lol:

That's what it means.

Guest Howaythetoon

That said, I personally find the term 'coloured person' really offensive and although not really racist, its arguably more damaging than say the phrase 'darkie' or 'nigger' (depending on context of course) and that's because if shows utter ignorance and highlight's one's 'colour' when colour shouldn't even come into it. It is basically a nice way or a none racist way to say "hey you're black" or not white.

How is darkie (a word you have used a few times) less offensive than coloured? How does it not highlight someone's colour in exactly the same way? ???

Darkie or Nigger are obviously far worse, not overly fond of coloured either from a personal point of view. White, black or Asian seems to be the more acceptable types of description if you have to point out someone's colour :dontknow:

I did say depending on the context. For me the term 'nigger' or word 'nigger' for example has lost a lot of its offensiveness due to how it is often used these days, especially by black people, anyway. For example a common phrase among black people is "please nigger" which from what I gather means "you fool". Another phrase - "my nigger" - populised by Denzil Washington in Training Day, means 'mate' or 'buddy', and that is just two examples of hundreds that the term 'nigger' is used in modern society by black people and now white or none black people.

Absolutely right man.  It's just like mate or buddy.  I suggest going out today and trying that out.

TIM WISE - USE OF THE N-WORD

I'm not saying its just like mate or buddy and nor would I ever refer to someone as a nigger. What I am saying is that 'nigger' is now used in a far more less offensive way in modern society by a number of people, white and black for example, and that as a result it isn't such the forbidden or taboo subject it once was or as offensive as it once was. Obviously I as a white man just calling a black man out of the blue a nigger would be bad and seriously racist.

Don't read if offended by racism (I'm sick of being banned).

Generally speaking, I don't really care if your a milky bar kid, nigger, slanty-eyed rice picker, Yellow, White or Brown like s****. The sooner people get over the past the quicker we all move on and the more acceptable it becomes to make fun of one another's skin colour the better. I get abuse because I'm lanky, have big-ears and am as dopey as f*** at times so to add honkey-bitch ass mother f***er wouldn't really p*ss on my moral bonfire.

Despite this - professional footballers have a responsibility to act as role-models. They're no longer sportsman, they're celebrities, and Terry and Suarez should get a royal raping from the football community whilst racism remains an issue in football and society.

More importantly than them being racists, one is a cheat and the other is just a sheer t***, so f*** them.

I'm actually not racist either...fwiw.

Guest Wally_McFool

I'd love the easily offended PC brigade to tell us all what term Hansen should have used to described black and brown skinned footballers instead of coloureds, other than (the now seemingly acceptable to some) "my nigger"  :D

I can't remember his exact words so it's hard to answer that tbh. If he was talking specifically about Suarez and Evra he could have said black, if he was talking about it in general then racism affects all, not just the 'coloured' ones.

Guest Howaythetoon

Fuck me, that's why this place is shit these days, no-one reads what people actually say they just see what they don't like and then go off on one. Going off the last few posts you'd think I believe calling someone a nigger is akin to saying alreet mate :lol:

Guest Wally_McFool

Fuck me, that's why this place is shit these days, no-one reads what people actually say they just see what they don't like and then go off on one. Going off the last few posts you'd think I believe calling someone a nigger is akin to saying alreet mate :lol:

:D

Guest Wally_McFool

I'd love the easily offended PC brigade to tell us all what term Hansen should have used to described black and brown skinned footballers instead of coloureds, other than (the now seemingly acceptable to some) "my nigger"  :D

Black? His name? Or nothing at all?

1/. The thing is though mate, is that not all of the dark skinned people are black. Ever heard of the colour brown?

2/. He was talking generally about dark skinned footballers over the last 20 odd years.

3/. or "my niggers" :D

That said, I personally find the term 'coloured person' really offensive and although not really racist, its arguably more damaging than say the phrase 'darkie' or 'nigger' (depending on context of course) and that's because if shows utter ignorance and highlight's one's 'colour' when colour shouldn't even come into it. It is basically a nice way or a none racist way to say "hey you're black" or not white.

How is darkie (a word you have used a few times) less offensive than coloured? How does it not highlight someone's colour in exactly the same way? ???

Darkie or Nigger are obviously far worse, not overly fond of coloured either from a personal point of view. White, black or Asian seems to be the more acceptable types of description if you have to point out someone's colour :dontknow:

I did say depending on the context. For me the term 'nigger' or word 'nigger' for example has lost a lot of its offensiveness due to how it is often used these days, especially by black people, anyway. For example a common phrase among black people is "please nigger" which from what I gather means "you fool". Another phrase - "my nigger" - populised by Denzil Washington in Training Day, means 'mate' or 'buddy', and that is just two examples of hundreds that the term 'nigger' is used in modern society by black people and now white or none black people.

Absolutely right man.  It's just like mate or buddy.  I suggest going out today and trying that out.

I'm not saying its just like mate or buddy and nor would I ever refer to someone as a nigger. What I am saying is that 'nigger' is now used in a far more less offensive way in modern society by a number of people, white and black for example, and that as a result it isn't such the forbidden or taboo subject it once was or as offensive as it once was. Obviously I as a white man just calling a black man out of the blue a nigger would be bad and seriously racist.

how about if you were a footballer and you used it against a member of the opposition and you aren't close friends ?

Guest Howaythetoon

how about if you were a footballer and you used it against a member of the opposition and you aren't close friends ?

Then punish that person.

Another phrase - "my nigger" - populised by Denzil Washington in Training Day, means 'mate' or 'buddy',

:lol:

That's what it means.

I know that.

Pretty sure people had said it before Training Day came out though. :lol: