Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

Maximum sentence for Terry is a £2000 fine........bet he'll be bothered by that like.

He'll be branded a racist and his image, endorsements and status will be damaged beyond repair. He's f***ed. 

Basically. I would hope the FA have enough sense to drop him from the England team too. I don't care if he's captain, you can't excuse racist behaviour and it would be a detriment to the team at the Euros too (media coverage and all that).

(Plus he's not the defender he once was).

At the moment The FA may be under advisement that they cannot strip him of the captaincy or drop him from the team as such a high profile action could be seen to predjudice the case.  Luckily they don't have a match between now and the hearing so they don't have to make a decision, but appear to have thier head in the sand like LFC and thier support.

I think the Hansen thing is unfortunate, because it shows that either he's never been told that the word is unacceptable now, or he doesn't care enough about other people's feelings to change his behaviour.

Doesn't mean he's "racist" but it's an example of the fact we still have a lot to do to tackle all these issues.

Watching Dixon and Lineker react was hilarious though.

Guest Howaythetoon

Hansen used a term most none racist people used back in the day when refering to black people or none white people. Many older generation today use that term. You cannot condemn him for this.

That said, I personally find the term 'coloured person' really offensive and although not really racist, its arguably more damaging than say the phrase 'darkie' or 'nigger' (depending on context of course) and that's because if shows utter ignorance and highlight's one's 'colour' when colour shouldn't even come into it. It is basically a nice way or a none racist way to say "hey you're black" or not white.

Black nor white is a colour as such, not in the same way blue or green is. Imagine a black person refering to a white person as a 'coloured person'?!

Racism will never be eradicated until we stop looking at ourselves as a black person, a white person, a chinese person, an asian person or whatever.

It irks me when I read a story for example in the paper which will read like "John, an Asian from Coventry, won 1.2m on the lottery", now why the fuck do we need to know John is Asian or whatever?

Likewise it pisses me off that we have a black police officer's association and ball. Although I recognise why such things exist or needed to exist. These days though?

In reality though man is simply not enlightened enough to look over someone's race, color or whatever, both outwardly and inwardly and therefore racism will always rear its ugly head in one form or another and the sad things is most of these instances will stem from people who are probably not racist deep down.

Is Ron Atkinson a racist? Is John Terry? Is Suarez? I doubt any of them are despite their racist remarks or alleged racist remarks.

Hansen used a term most none racist people used back in the day when refering to black people or none white people. Many older generation today use that term. You cannot condemn him for this.

That said, I personally find the term 'coloured person' really offensive and although not really racist, its arguably more damaging than say the phrase 'darkie' or 'nigger' (depending on context of course) and that's because if shows utter ignorance and highlight's one's 'colour' when colour shouldn't even come into it. It is basically a nice way or a none racist way to say "hey you're black" or not white.

Black nor white is a colour as such, not in the same way blue or green is. Imagine a black person refering to a white person as a 'coloured person'?!

Racism will never be eradicated until we stop looking at ourselves as a black person, a white person, a chinese person, an asian person or whatever.

He was discussing racism within English football though, of course he would differentiate between black and white in that context.

I wouldn't have even known that 'coloured' is a frowned-upon term now tbh. What a silly petty world we live in where somebody has to apologise for that.

Guest Howaythetoon

He was discussing racism within English football though, of course he would differentiate between black and white in that context.

I wouldn't have even known that 'coloured' is a frowned-upon term now tbh. What a silly petty world we live in where somebody has to apologise for that.

He should have just said black people because technically or rather pedantically, coloured people could also mean white people too. I agree in a way about how pettty the world can be over vernacular but I believe the term 'coloured person' to be a wrong choice of word to refer to someone who is basically not white in any context, although with Hansen due to his age and upbringing, he can be excused for using that term. Again, in his day when fans would call John Barnes a black bastard or nigger the none racist way to refer to a black person was to say 'coloured person'. Surely today though we can look beyoned that and refer to people as, well, fucking people?

For me the term 'coloured person' or 'coloured people' is ignorant as fuck and just wrong. It even sounds wrong whenever I hear it. Thankfully that is few and far between these days and mostly comes from the mouths of people like Hansen, older people from an era when coloured was the least offensive thing to say when refering to a black person or someone who wasn't white.

If black people are coloured people then we all are, no?

Back to Hansen, I hope no one starts accusing him of racism over this by the way.

Why would he just say black people when discussing racism in English football? Can Ji-Sung Park not be a possible target of racism, or Michael Chopra? "Coloured" generally means non-white which is what he was talking about.

I'd be interested to know how our free speech in Britain compares to other Westernised countries. Nobody would defend Alan Hansen's right to wear a white hood on MOTD but complaining about a harmless word in a harmless context on a football show, regardless of whether you're black or white, is canny pathetic if you ask me.

Guest Wally_McFool

I think the Hansen thing is unfortunate, because it shows that either he's never been told that the word is unacceptable now,

That said, I personally find the term 'coloured person' really offensive

I refer you to the link in Magpies post.

Go tell them how offensive you find the title of their website. :D

Why would he just say black people when discussing racism in English football? Can Ji-Sung Park not be a possible target of racism, or Michael Chopra? "Coloured" generally means non-white which is what he was talking about.

I'd be interested to know how our free speech in Britain compares to other Westernised countries. Nobody would defend Alan Hansen's right to wear a white hood on MOTD but complaining about a harmless word in a harmless context on a football show, regardless of whether you're black or white, is canny pathetic if you ask me.

I highly doubt anyone would face criminal charges for saying what Terry allegedly said over here, for instance. No one would bat an eyelid if you said the Swedish word for coloured in a discussion like that, in fact I couldn't believe that people found it offensive when I first heard it.

Generally, you lot seem a lot more sensitive, for better and worse, about racism IMO.

Is Hansen getting stick for calling someone coloured?  :lol: This is getting crazy now, not so long ago it was a widely term used and it wasn't used as a form of racism, it was used by people who tried to be politically correct who were scared to call black people black in case they offended them.

I hate racism with a passion but people are going way OTT about what to call black people.

Is Hansen getting stick for calling someone coloured?  :lol: This is getting crazy now, not so long ago it was a widely term used and it wasn't used as a form of racism, it was used by people who tried to be politically correct who were scared to call black people black in case they offended them.

I hate racism with a passion but people are going way OTT about what to call black people.

:thup:

Stupid thing to say, but no malice in it whatsoever. I don't think people should make too much of a deal of it tbh.

agreed about this  but someone in the media so much should know better. just shows how little effort he puts into his TV work, no idea about what terms are politically correct and acceptable as well as no knowledge of football outside of the premiership, even then its full of clichés and biased opinion.

No one would bat an eyelid if you said the Swedish word for coloured in a discussion like that...

Why would they? The Swedish word exists in a completely different, ahistorical context compared to the English one. Stupid comparison.

I think the Hansen thing is unfortunate, because it shows that either he's never been told that the word is unacceptable now,

That said, I personally find the term 'coloured person' really offensive

I refer you to the link in Magpies post.

Go tell them how offensive you find the title of their website. :D

Haha yeah, an organization formed in 1909, around the same time that term was last actually socially acceptable.  I hope you were kidding.

Not changing it is actually a great reminder to all of society of our shitty history towards non-whites and the fact a lot of work is left to be done to address the socioeconomic biases and differences that still exist because of that past.

Guest neesy111

I'd be gasping to sack him if I was the BBC, his wage is fucking ridiculous for starters, nevermind that he's become a parody of himself.

:thup: