Racism in football

DJ_NUFC

I haven't heard anybody using the Spanish equivalent of the word "coloured" in general conversation since the 1990s apart from elder "I'm not really racist BUT..." people. Here too it was - as Mick said - some weird PC way of not just saying "black", but nowadays it sounds too patronizing/colonial. I suppose if somebody used it on-air there would be an uncomfortable silence and the co-host would try to swiftly change subject, but unless it was an important program/anchor there wouldn't be consequences. And still, can't see anybody getting fired out of it.

Racism is obviously different, I agree, but an off the hook comment is not as bad as breaking someones jaw imo

FWIW I do doubt that Terry is a genuine hardcore rascist, regardless of what he said and what he is charged with. Just a moment of utter stupidity and ignorance. (Not at all saying that makes it alright by the way).

We stuck with our £35m man after he sparked one of his team mates out to be fair :lol:

Did we? I remember that quite a few including people like Mick coming out and saying that he should be sold if proven that he struct Taylor.

We stuck with our £35m man after he sparked one of his team mates out to be fair :lol:

Did we? I remember that quite a few including people like Mick coming out and saying that he should be sold if proven that he struct Taylor.

I didn't hear many people calling Chris Hughton a "cunt" after he played him in our next game, like.

I didn't hear many people calling Chris Hughton a "c***" after he played him in our next game, like.

You have a point but I think that is still acceptable in the sense that the whole affair was kept under wraps and treated as an internal matter. We didn't have Hughton coming out saying, yup Carroll knocked Taylor's jaw off and we all support him regardless. This is exactly what KD is doing by coming out to support Suarez after he has been proven guilty. The message is clear, the commission thinks he is guilty of saying racist words but we think it's all right and we'll support him regardless. Oh and by the way we also support the 'kick racism out of football campaign'. Utterly despicable.

I didn't hear many people calling Chris Hughton a "c***" after he played him in our next game, like.

i don't remember hughton defending carroll and making excuses for him.

I also remember lots of people not supporting it! Totally different situation.

I didn't support it, I would have sacked Carroll.  The club made it easy for players like Ranger to do what they want because of what Carroll got away with, if he did break Taylor's jaw, which he probably did do.

footballers are thick really thick the Chelsea players wanted to wear t-shirts "in support of Terry" before the Spurs match

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2078316/Chelsea-stop-John-Terry-T-shirts-support-players.html

Well done Chelsea decision makers :clap:

Obviously have two brain cells to rub together, unlike their players and Liverpool Football Club.

Guest Howaythetoon

That said, I personally find the term 'coloured person' really offensive and although not really racist, its arguably more damaging than say the phrase 'darkie' or 'nigger' (depending on context of course) and that's because if shows utter ignorance and highlight's one's 'colour' when colour shouldn't even come into it. It is basically a nice way or a none racist way to say "hey you're black" or not white.

How is darkie (a word you have used a few times) less offensive than coloured? How does it not highlight someone's colour in exactly the same way? ???

Darkie or Nigger are obviously far worse, not overly fond of coloured either from a personal point of view. White, black or Asian seems to be the more acceptable types of description if you have to point out someone's colour :dontknow:

I did say depending on the context. For me the term 'nigger' or word 'nigger' for example has lost a lot of its offensiveness due to how it is often used these days, especially by black people, anyway. For example a common phrase among black people is "please nigger" which from what I gather means "you fool". Another phrase - "my nigger" - populised by Denzil Washington in Training Day, means 'mate' or 'buddy', and that is just two examples of hundreds that the term 'nigger' is used in modern society by black people and now white or none black people.

The term or word 'darkie' is an odd one because it is clearly slang and from my understanding was first coined by Geordies seeing people going down into the pits all clean and coming out after a shift all dark, hence "darky" or "darkies".

As for my own use of "darkie" etc., I do so in jest. Always. I detest racism. That said I don't believe everything is racist or has to be racist. For example I don't believe Terry is a racist even if it turns out he said racist remarks. If that is the case he deserves punishment but I do hope it is taken into context and that he isn't suddenly John Terry the racist and not John Terry the footballer. That can be worse than the actual racism and just as dangerous.

Back to the term coloured I find it absolutely crude and offensive in terms of intelligence never mind racism. Why would you call a black person a coloured person? I find the phrase as crude as retard or spastic. We are intelligent people and have a huge vocabulary. 100 years ago it was polite to refer to a black person as a coloured person but today? Why not simply refer to a black person as an err, well, you know, a fucking person?

Why do we constantly have to define people by their race, skin colour etc.? And I include black people in that too. Wor lass is black and she refers to herself as a black women. I don't refer to myself as a white man. Don't get me wrong I know why but we are getting to a point in terms of multiculturaism and enlightenment where we can now start looking byond this. I read something like 1 in 10 people born in the UK these days will be mixed race. What do we start calling them? Fucking rainbow people? :lol:

Kids are the best example and show us up. I always remember my nephew refering to Bernard as "him with the funny hair" at the match once and not "the black player", an adult will use his skin color to refer to him. Kids are innocent though, they have no racial hangups or prejudices... not until the world hardens them to such bollocks anyway.

Race will always be an issue so long as we make a big deal or it and by that I don't mean making a big deal of racist remarks aimed at someone, that should always be a big deal because it is serious shit, but by making a big deal of someone's race. Who gives a fuck if this person or that person is white, asian, black, chinese or whatever.

That said, I personally find the term 'coloured person' really offensive and although not really racist, its arguably more damaging than say the phrase 'darkie' or 'nigger' (depending on context of course) and that's because if shows utter ignorance and highlight's one's 'colour' when colour shouldn't even come into it. It is basically a nice way or a none racist way to say "hey you're black" or not white.

How is darkie (a word you have used a few times) less offensive than coloured? How does it not highlight someone's colour in exactly the same way? ???

Darkie or Nigger are obviously far worse, not overly fond of coloured either from a personal point of view. White, black or Asian seems to be the more acceptable types of description if you have to point out someone's colour :dontknow:

I did say depending on the context. For me the term 'nigger' or word 'nigger' for example has lost a lot of its offensiveness due to how it is often used these days, especially by black people, anyway. For example a common phrase among black people is "please nigger" which from what I gather means "you fool". Another phrase - "my nigger" - populised by Denzil Washington in Training Day, means 'mate' or 'buddy', and that is just two examples of hundreds that the term 'nigger' is used in modern society by black people and now white or none black people.

Absolutely right man.  It's just like mate or buddy.  I suggest going out today and trying that out.

TIM WISE - USE OF THE N-WORD