Shaun Wright-Phillips

TêteDeMaure

i know it's not a piority position but £10m seems excellent value, especially if we have an option to buy him next season.

pace down the flanks is essential these days. n'zogbia down one wing and wright-philips down the other is an exciting prospect.

...just as long as there's a few pennies left in the bank for a couple of strikers

Remember that Birmingham had to buy Nicky Butt if they did not get relegated.

Is that true?  I thought it was more to do with Butt not wanting to join a relegated team on a permanent basis.

Of course its true. Why do you think Birmingham got relegated? Because they didn't want Nicky Butt. Simple!

Guest niina

With us working in a tight budget, Wright-Philips for £10 million will be a stupid thing to do, especially because we still badly need for strikers AND we are well-covered for right winger (you can say Solano is ageing and Milner not right winger, but still we have someone to be thrusted there). Better to spend that money on strikers.

But after all this is Newcastle's world. Remember last season when we desperately want Boa Morte and didn't have £5 million Fulham asked (or so), and suddenly come for Luque for £9.5 million  bluewink.gif

At the Roeder talk yesterday, he did dodge a question about SWP and Oliver answered it, he told us that he had spoken to the chairman, and that SWP was not a target at this moment in time.

blueupset.gif bluesigh.gif

Remember that Birmingham had to buy Nicky Butt if they did not get relegated.

Is that true?  I thought it was more to do with Butt not wanting to join a relegated team on a permanent basis.

Of course its true. Why do you think Birmingham got relegated? Because they didn't want Nicky Butt. Simple!

:lol:

Anyway, if the deal is that we take him on loan this season and have to buy him for £10m next summer then I'd take it personally. We'll have a year to raise the money with a sale or two, and the long-term prospect of Zoggy and the SWP we saw at Man City down our flanks for the next few years is mouthwatering.

As NE5 said, SWP can play up front as well, just off the main striker, and his pace would worry teams. Could leave us free to go out and get Darren Bent if he is our main target, without having to fret about getting in another striker.

Bent

Shola

SWP

Luque

Dyer (once in a while)

As our attacking options going into next season wouldn't be too bad, and by the time Owen comes back (start of next season most likely) Nobby will be a year older and easier to drop in favour of SWP, who'd revert to the right wing.

Guest Geordie Boyo

Can SWP play down the Left??

A loan move for Anelka and Sign Defoe, a left back and Malbranque/CB or a DM.. would do me for 5 players.

Why would we want to play him on the left?

A loan move for Anelka and Sign Defoe, a left back and Malbranque/CB or a DM.. would do me for 5 players.

Because that N'Zogbia fella is shite.  :winking:

Even though it's shite. If Roeder is intent on keeping Nobby, and Milner, what makes anyone think that SWP would move from Chelsea's bench to ours? Assuming Roeder wouldn't drop Nobby and put him as first choice.

If he signed him he'd play him. He's different class to Solano and Milner. And I rate Solano.

Guest Immsy7

There is a reason why he doesn't get any first team football for chelsea what so ever. There is a reason we took the likes of Lennon and Walcott over him. He is a diving little cheating ****. Plus he's crap! I do not rate him at all. I would rather have Boumsong on the wing tbh!!

There is a reason why he doesn't get any first team football for chelsea what so ever. There is a reason we took the likes of Lennon and Walcott over him. He is a diving little cheating ****. Plus he's crap! I do not rate him at all. I would rather have Boumsong on the wing tbh!!

Good post.  :thup:

Posted by: Armchair Pundit  Posted on: Today at 04:07:53 PM 

Insert Quote 

I'd sign him up if the deal was we had him on a season's loan now, then pay the £10m for him next summer as a transfer. I'd snap their hand off for that, with him being able to play left or right wing he'd be an excellent signing. 

Quote from: toontownman on Today at 04:59:20 PM

Guest Immsy7

Good post.  :thup:

Thank You  bluebigrazz.gif Just needed to get it off my chest  bluebiggrin.gif

SWP? sure but not at the expense of a striker.

We desperately need at least one striker. If we had the resources to sort out a deal where by we paid chelsea the money at the end of the coming season then that would be good.

First priority must be strikers! Unless we plan on selling Milner.

10M would be a massive gamble. It wouldn't be a bad loan signing if we could string them along all year (Sporting Lisbon style) and then send him back to Stamford Bridge at the end of his loan period.

10M is a lot of money for a winger, I'm not yet convinced that SWP is that good. When we were linked with Beckham, everyone was keen to point out that we already have Solano, Dyer and Milner for the right wing. Suddenly it's SWP and everyone is excited. Would Chelsea loan him to us if they thought we might just sit him on our bench as luxury backup?

10M would be a massive gamble. It wouldn't be a bad loan signing if we could string them along all year (Sporting Lisbon style) and then send him back to Stamford Bridge at the end of his loan period.

Kenyon won't allow that to happen, he's a ruthless CEO imo and he doesn't hand out favours to rival clubs.

In the area of sales/recouping funds/outbound loan deals Chelsea haven't been played for mugs - a 3.5m combined loss on Kezman & Parker - hence i believe there's some base concerning this alleged 10m loan fee & the "buy next summer" clause.

Cracking little player who can play right across the line, and he's previously looked the part when employed as an auxillary striker/forward. 10m initially and probably the vast majority of our transfer budget + another 5-10m depending on performances smacked on top of that next summer..... i fear that we'd be financially placing all of our eggs in the one basket.

10m initially and probably the vast majority of our transfer budget + another 5-10m depending on performances smacked on top of that next summer..... i fear that we'd be financially placing all of our eggs in the one basket.

We certainly would. We don't know what our priorities will be next year. For all we know there may be a new player we want to spend our money on, or a player this coming season who catches our eye. What if Milner starts to really look the part or Dyer gets over his injuries. We just don't know where we'll be in 12 months. Souness put all his eggs in one basket with Owen and it cost him and us dearly. I'm hoping however that the Journal have just cocked this story up and we would pay an initial fee of say a couple of million, followed by the rest if we decide to sign him. That way even if we string them along theyve got a million or two out of us.

To say 10M for SWP is 'a bargain' is suggesting that he is bordering on world class. He had one good (not great) season for Man City and has been frozen out for 12 months which won't have done him good.

Guest Gemmill

I can't believe people are so eager to get him in for £10m.  That's our transfer budget obliterated on one player - whether this season's budget or next season's, it's still too much to be parting with for the one player in our current circumstances.

If philips helps us go far in the Uefa cup and qualify for Europe again next season then it would be worth £10 million from next seasons budget..

Didn't we say the same thing about Owen?

These are the sort of signings we should have been making when we were in the Champions League, right now they represent too much of a gamble on a player we don't desperately need.