Shaun Wright-Phillips

TêteDeMaure

Well we don't know the terms of this proposed deal yet but it looks like it would eat up all of next season's budget and a bit of this season's one too (they'll surely want some sort of loan fee). Owen cost us everything we had and this looks like it could do the same.

If philips helps us go far in the Uefa cup and qualify for Europe again next season then it would be more then worth £10 million from next seasons budget..

have you gave up on Luque now ?

For my money, I think Wright has the attributes to be a top out and out forward, playing like Bellamy, Keegan, Beardsley. if he wants to do it.

And if he does, I would snatch their hand off.

I can't see how Roeder's looking at bringing in 5 players if there's no money available, I really can't. Especially when he's talking about bringing in players with Premiership experience, it's just not realistic. There must be some sort of cash floating around, not to mention what still could be incoming from Boumsong/Butt/Faye/Luque should any/all of them leave. In regards to the loan deal, I hope the way that it would be structured would be installments, so talk of it eating our budget up simply doesn't hit the mark for me. A new signing is an investment over a number of years, we could do with taking a leaf out of Spurs' book here.

It's another one of those Summers where Shepherd has to gamble on getting it right by putting more money into the transfer kitty, but this could well be the last (it's already going to be scaled-back from last season.) Unless we get relegated/continually miss Europe then the risk isn't as great as Leeds' was, for example (I hope.)

The way the talk has gone leads me to think that there is money there still, but we're being exceptionally careful this time around because we know it's our last chance to get it right in the market before a bit of asset-stripping comes in. If you think about it, it makes sense for the club to be playing pauper in an attempt to not get ripped off by selling clubs. I could just be looking for a silver lining here, but I think there's logic in what I'm saying.

I agree with NE5, too, we must pursue SWP with everything we've got. He's huge pals with Bramble and Dyer and was apparently close to moving here last season before Chelsea moved for him, so things are in place to make this an attractive proposition to him. I think his season at Chelsea has made people forget how brilliant he was for a shite Man City side, the boy is pure class.

I can't believe people are turning their nose up at SWP after one season on the bench at Chelsea bluesigh.gif

Probably the same people who laughed when we were linked with him last summer, saying that he was far to good to play for us...

This could happen , no denial from the club today like there has been on every other rumour, just Roeder not saying much bit its not a "NO".

Newcastle United manager Glenn Roeder is continuing to keep his cards close to his chest regarding the summer's transfer spending.

The Magpies boss has failed to bring in a single new face during the close season and the Tyneside support are anxiously awaiting news of which players will be arriving at St James' Park.

However, Roeder is refusing to panic and would not even confirm an interest in Chelsea winger Shaun Wright-Phillips after being strongly linked with the former Manchester City star.

"Everyone is being taken into consideration," admitted Roeder to Sky Sports News.

"When I say everyone, everyone that I think could come to Newcastle and play at this huge club, cope with playing in front of 52,000 every other week.

"I'm certainly looking at players that are experienced and, if possible, have already played in The Premiership so I know they can perform at this level.

"I wouldn't want to be taking any chances with players we have no knowledge of - it's a recipe for disaster that, unless you're incredibly lucky."

The Newcastle boss would not comment directly on the link with Chelsea's Wright-Phillips.

"It's all speculation," he responded. "I suppose it makes good reading for all our supporters and makes them buy the paper the next morning to see who we're linked with next.

"All the names thrown in would all make very interesting Newcastle players but which ones end up here, we'll have to wait and see."

"I wouldn't want to be taking any chances with players we have no knowledge of - it's a recipe for disaster that, unless you're incredibly lucky."

Dig at Souness buying Luque.  :lol:

Dig at Souness buying Luque.  :lol:

No Saviola then !!!

I can't believe people are turning their nose up at SWP after one season on the bench at Chelsea bluesigh.gif

Probably the same people who laughed when we were linked with him last summer, saying that he was far to good to play for us...

I remember a lot of people saying that what Chelsea paid represented about double his value.

Besides, I think people are concerned about the amount of money being put by (it doesn't matter if its instalments or not, it will come out of next season's budget whatever way you look at it) for a position we're already healthy in.

Who knows, as a second striker he could be brilliant but we haven't seen much of him playing that role. It'd be a good loan signing but this 10M worries me.

I reckon he could play as a striker, in that free role that Beardsley and Bellamy did so well for us. It might not be his number 1 position, but I think he'd do just as good a job as any of our other realistic options.

For £10 million - if that really is the price - I'd say we have to go for it, even if it means he's the only player we buy. His close control, change of direction and pace are quite exceptional. He goes past people in situations where you don't expect it to happen. And once he beats his man, they stay beaten. He's five yards past before they can turn.

I think he's probably too much of an individual for the Chelsea system, and besides he hasn't really been given much of a chance, with having to dislodge either Cole, Duff or Robben for a place.

The worrying thing for me is that the Loan/purchase terms are not clear.

If £10M is the loan fee and we must purchase him, do we have to pay any more £££ to purchase him, or does he then sign for us for free at the end of the loan.

If we have to pay £10M loan fee and then pay an additional transfer fee to sign him, then it's too much.

Are they any clauses as to why Newcastle could not/would not buy SWP after spending £10M on a loan fee - thats a lot of money to risk if we might not get SWP as a full time player.

Ideally, we would loan him for the season, with the provision that we sign him for £10M at the end of the season. That way his price is fixed, but we can spend the £££ on other players this season and use next years money to pay for SWP.

Guest DazzaNufc1892

Ideally, we would loan him for the season, with the provision that we sign him for £10M at the end of the season. That way his price is fixed, but we can spend the £££ on other players this season and use next years money to pay for SWP.

That is what chelsea want

That is what chelsea want

Hope so, but saying "Loan fee £10M and then must purchase" makes me think that the overall outlay would be more than just £10M

I completely agree with NE5 on this, I have said for a while SWP could make a very good striker! He completely tore us apart when he was put up top by City a couple of seasons ago and Keegan said himself he was looking to move him up front in time.

His close control, change of direction and pace are quite exceptional. He goes past people in situations where you don't expect it to happen. And once he beats his man, they stay beaten. He's five yards past before they can turn.

Youre making Dyer blush.

• 1 year later...

I think it is quite possible SWP will be coming to Newcastle as it is being reported quite a bit all of a sudden, and I think if anything could tempt him to leave it would be working with Keegan again.

If we do sign him would he work in the formation we were using towards the end of last season? I do recall Chelsea playing him in their three man midfield at times and I think he did alright.

Would he replace Geremi perhaps? SWP certainly has the work rate but we would be lacking some height in there for sure.

Chelsea sacking holds up Magpies

May 26 2008 by Stuart Rayner, The Journal

THE power vacuum at Chelsea could delay Newcastle United’s attempts to sign winger Shaun Wright-Phillips – but the Magpies are determined to ensure there is no such confusion surrounding Michael Owen’s St James’s Park future.

While Newcastle will be made to wait before they can sign £10m-rated Wright-Phillips they are anxious not to go into the new campaign unsure if it will be Owen’s last on Tyneside.

Kevin Keegan is keen to once more work with Wright-Phillips, the right winger he nurtured at Manchester City. With the England international failing to make the substitutes’ bench for last week’s Champions League final, United might have been able to quickly push through a deal for the 26-year-old – but for the sacking of Avram Grant, announced on Saturday.

Newcastle’s board is in a similar state of transition but the appointment of new chairman Derek Llambias is expected to be rubber-stamped within the next fortnight and Chris Mort’s replacement will be charged with clarifying Owen’s situation as soon as possible.

United’s captain has a year remaining on his present contract and the Magpies are determined not to go into the new campaign with the uncertainty still hanging over them. Llambias will be told to either persuade Owen to sign an extension to his current deal or move him on while the centre-forward still commands a fee, though that could be easier said than done. The Bosman regulations and Owen’s status as one of the world’s best-paid footballers mean his advisers hold the whip hand in any negotiations this summer.

Keegan made Owen his captain after returning to Newcastle in January and has repeatedly stated that his is the signature he most wants this summer. But with owner Mike Ashley eager to reduce the club’s wage bill, there is speculation Owen’s proposed new deal will be on much-reduced terms and, if that is the case, he will only leave on his own terms.

It is hard to imagine Owen signing a new contract that does not meet his expectations this summer and if no Champions League club comes in with an irresistible offer for him, he may prefer to see out his final 12 months before moving as a free agent on a potentially more lucrative contract.

Having had it made clear only last Wednesday that he did not have a long-term future at Stamford Bridge, Wright-Phillips’ Chelsea career is now back in a state of limbo.

Whether the 26-year-old will be part of the Blues’ plans next term will depend on who is making them, but even if Wright-Phillips is set on a move regardless of who succeeds Grant, it is hard to see his current club sanctioning it.

With Blues scouting chief Frank Arnesen still in place there is nothing to stop Chelsea’s transfer business continuing as normal. But, while the Dutchman will be happy to let squad players such as Steve Sidwell go, he might prefer not to have any senior figures move in or out until he can be sure the decisions meet with the approval of the new manager.

Meanwhile, Blackburn Rovers have distanced themselves from reports of a summer bid for Damien Duff. The winger has put his Northumberland house on the market, presumably in preparation for his widely-expected sale. But the club where he began his career have denied any interest in bidding for Duff.

“Damien’s name has never been mentioned by anyone on the coaching staff in terms of being a summer transfer target, and I don’t think Mark (Hughes) sees that position as a priority,” a Blackburn source was quoted as saying at the weekend.

“There are other areas of the team he would prefer to strengthen.”

http://www.journallive.co.uk/nufc/newcastle-united-news/2008/05/26/chelsea-sacking-holds-up-magpies-61634-20973959/

Guest MagFinnPie

frank arnesen is danish not dutch....

perhaps the article forgot to put Rijkaard's name in there