Shaun Wright-Phillips

TêteDeMaure

Guest Rob X

Question is what SWP are we getting?

The tremendous player he was at City or the player who couldn't cut it at chelsea, couldn't hack it at the top and now has to settle for a club that his stepdad had a few derisory comments about when we expressed interest in him a couple of years ago? Suddenly we are worth signing for?

The tremendous player he was at City or the player who couldn't cut it at chelsea, couldn't hack it at the top and now has to settle for a club that his stepdad had a few derisory comments about when we expressed interest in him a couple of years ago? Suddenly we are worth signing for?

If he comes here it will be because he wants to play regularly and improve, imo. So, I think we would get him looking to recapture his old form. Could be wishful thinking, but I choose to be optimistic, if we sign him.

Guest neesy111

If he comes here it will be because he wants to play regularly and improve, imo. So, I think we would get him looking to recapture his old form. Could be wishful thinking, but I choose to be optimistic, if we sign him.

he's played well when he has played for chelsea, grant and mourinho both played him out of position

Guest Rob X

Isn't that what we thought about Duff? And Geremi ?And Babyaro?  We wound up with a load of dogs

Isn't that what we thought about Duff? And Geremi ?And Babyaro?  We wound up with a load of dogs

All shit at the time we signed them though. Duff had been shit for at least a year before we came sniffing along, at the time it was hard to undestand why a player who was as bad for Chelsea as he has been for us was constantly being referred to as a top player. Was simply a case of few people taking any notice of his dire performances purely because it was well hidden in a championship winning side.

SWP at least has had some good form in the past 1-2 years for Chelsea, and merely losing his place in the team due to other players or formations being preferred isnt quite the same as turning into a complete waste of a player as Duff did.

Naturally theres still a big gamble with SWP, as mentioned hes not the youngish player who burst onto the scene a few years ago and tore the Premiership up single handedly at times, so we wont know until hes getting regular first team football whether hes had his peak/purple patch and is now an average player, or if hes still a major threat from midfield.

Guest Sniffer

More likely his dad has said he'd be an idiot to come here. 

Pity the days of appearance money and win bonuses are a thing of the past as you wouldn't have as many quality players happy to sit on the bench and bask in reflected glory.

Guest Sniffer

Would you be an idiot to come here? things are looking up.

Would I be an idiot? Not at all as I'd give your right arm to play for the Toon. But I'm not SWP.

Guest Sniffer

That might be true.......it certainly wasn't what good old wrighty was saying a couple of years ago.

Guest Slippery Sam

Flatters to deceive imo but beggars can't be choosers. If, and it's a massive if, he did come here he would certainly have a lot to prove which could do wonders for us. I suppose him and Beye could forge a good partnership down the right. However.........he aint here.

Guest Heneage

At the end of the day hes an attacking player and we play attacking football, Chelsea do not, you wanna show your skills you go to a team that suitsyou.

It's worth remembering that there is a new England manager, and more imporantly, David Beckham is finished. That spot on the right-wing is well and truly up for grabs, and SWP has got a head start over everyone because of his experience. It could be argued that Lennon and Bentley are better players, but Wright-Phillips has the upper hand and he really needs to make it count.

I do think that he will leave Chelsea fairly soon, and i think if Keegan is seriously interested, then we're in with a shout. Offer him a good wage and a guaranteed spot on the wing, i can't really see why SWP wouldn't give us some serious consideration.

It's worth remembering that there is a new England manager, and more imporantly, David Beckham is finished. That spot on the right-wing is well and truly up for grabs, and SWP has got a head start over everyone because of his experience. It could be argued that Lennon and Bentley are better players, but Wright-Phillips has the upper hand and he really needs to make it count.

I do think that he will leave Chelsea fairly soon, and i think if Keegan is seriously interested, then we're in with a shout. Offer him a good wage and a guaranteed spot on the wing, i can't really see why SWP wouldn't give us some serious consideration.

Lennon a better player than Wright-Phillips? WUM?

All English. All right wingers. All Premiership based. All generally highly rated. All have been in the national set up at some point. Therefore all in with a shout of taking over Beckham's place permanently.

All English. All right wingers. All Premiership based. All generally highly rated. All have been in the national set up at some point. Therefore all in with a shout of taking over Beckham's place permanently.

I'm not talking about taking the right wing spot, you said it could be "Argued Lennon and Bentley" are better player's than SWP.