Sir Alex tips Toon for 4th

NSG

"He's a crafty old devil."

Sam Allardyce after Sir Alex Ferguson tipped Newcastle to finish in the top four this season.

Nice one, Alex  O0

said this in an article about a month or so ago. Big Sam is the man !!

SAF likes Newcastle too, BTW

Sam Allardyce after Sir Alex Ferguson tipped Newcastle to finish in the top four this season.

Nice one, Alex  O0

he's always tended to pay us the compliment of putting out the strongest possible team against us.

Guest elbee909

If we play to our potential and keep our players fit then I can see us finishing 5th and I said that before we beat Bolton, I think 4th is too much for now but you never know.

4th to 6th tends to be interchangeable, only takes a few points either way.

Who would have predicted we'd finish 4th in 01/02 after the 00/01 season when we finished 11th?

While I would be pretty happy with finishing 9th-7th, and delighted with 6th-5th, I dont think finishing 4th is out of the question.

Our competition looks like being Arsenal, who are also in a transitional period and lacking a proven goalscorer, and I fancy them to drop points, particually away from home.

Theres Spurs who have had shite start and looked very poor, and maybe Everton, who have got little depth - injuries to any of arteta, johnson or lescott could really fuck them in my opinion.

Im not by any means demanding or even expecting a 4th place finish, and I completely understand Allardyce trying to play down expections. However I dont think theres anything wrong with optimism and aiming high, when its backed up by facts.

Remember he was close last year with Bolton, with only a few players of the calibre of Shay, Barton, Viduka, Owen, Milner, Oba, Geremi etc.. and we'll look even better if Roz, Cacapa and Enrique settle in, and Taylor comes on even more.

Anyway im off to find easyjets website so I can book some nice early cheap 1p flights to Barcelona and Milan!

Fergie tips us for top four whenever we have a half good team.

Mind games.

Against who exactly? Hardly going to be against Arsenal & Spurs as they'll be nowhere near Man Utd come May.

These are motivational mind games, hoping us, Spurs and Everton will raise their game and get the occasional notch against Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

Thats why I think he does it by the way, not fact, but Fergie always has a smaller team breaking the top 4, and that would be my suggestion for it.

Or maybe he just seriously thinks we'll finish 4th?

Talking of form and points on whatnot, from what I've noticed from the last few seasons (with the odd exception aside) if you get on average 1 point per fixture, or 38 points total then you're skimming safety/relegation. Any below that and it's pretty much guaranteed.

However, if you average 2 points per game - 3 points per home game and 1 per away game for example - you'll pretty much win the premiership, or be in a title race at the very least.

I reckon that a top 6 finish is easily possible, but like several people have said.. it's all about consistency. I think with a bit more depth and less injuries (come on BS) we could be there.

Guest Steven_MB

I'd say we are better than Spurs, in Goal and in midfield. They have a slightly better strike force, though if ours stay fit, and any 1 of theres gets an injury this swaps. In defense they are better, as they know each other and we haven't even finished ours yet.

Guest Hodgson09

Optimism is good but lets not get too far ahead of ourselves. One game at a time is the way we should be looking at things. We won 1 game against a poor looking Bolton side, we were fantastic for 45 minutes but I thought we were quite sloppy in the second half, after the first 30 minutes who was thinking 5 nil?  I know I was. But we didn't go on to punish them. Martins second was pure luck, I would say N'Zogbias was fairly lucky as well it was a cross after all he was not aiming to score. We then let in a very soft goal, i say soft because the ball should never have reached Anelka.

One game at a time lads that way we might just enjoy this season. Instead of being sold this false promise every season of Europe is the aim.

I know these are exciting times but lets stay grounded. Next Game Villa and they will be looking for their first win. Lets hope we get a good performance from the lads. Howay the lads.

We will not finish in the top 4 though anyway. Not this season.

We could very easily finish 4th  -  we could very easily finish 10th  -  or anywhere in between.

It is too early to tell.

What I do find amazing is the number of negative (inferiority complex) types on this forum, who are absolutely unable to objectively identify our relative strengths against other teams. Amazing.

Most of those same people believe (and believe with "certainty") in the non-existant mythical sanctity of the "big" four clubs (as they call them, routinely). . . .  just because there have in very recent history been a similar current top four clubs by the end of the season. These people believe . .  "what IS will ALWAYS BE"  . . . .  very sad!

Mind games.

Against who exactly? Hardly going to be against Arsenal & Spurs as they'll be nowhere near Man Utd come May.

These are motivational mind games, hoping us, Spurs and Everton will raise their game and get the occasional notch against Chelsea, Arsenal and Liverpool.

Thats why I think he does it by the way, not fact, but Fergie always has a smaller team breaking the top 4, and that would be my suggestion for it.

Very unlikely, he's not doen much to prove he's THAT stupid yet.

Mind games.

Very unlikely, he's not doen much to prove he's THAT stupid yet.

Yes, that's right NM!!!

Lets wait until at least November before speculating whether we can get into the Top 4 or not ; we need to take things on a game-by-game basis - there will be all sorts of wingeing if the wheels happen to fall off against Villa on Sat ; if we beat them, THEN think about the next game...

Lets face it - all the disappointments of the past should have taught us all that, and Football can be a strange game... how many on here would have tipped Spurs to be pointless after the 2 opening games they had.!!???

If we play to our potential and keep our players fit then I can see us finishing 5th and I said that before we beat Bolton, I think 4th is too much for now but you never know.

This is the phase where my biggest critics (challenge for 4th thread) start to turn...NOt cause they worked summat out...No cause SAF made a comment.

*Not directed at anyone in particular.

Guest elbee909

This is the phase where my biggest critics (challenge for 4th thread) start to turn...NOt cause they worked summat out...No cause SAF made a comment.

*Not directed at anyone in particular.

As long as it's not me, as I don't know what the hell you're on about :)

Guest Magpiecn

Alex's words let me remind of his team beated us 1-5 in 02/03 :undecided:

2-6

It wasn't the score that confused me.

I dont know why .But when I hear or talk about Man U ,thats the first thing appearing in my head. bluelaugh.gif

Nice one, Alex  O0

he's always tended to pay us the compliment of putting out the strongest possible team against us.

Aye. I remember when we where good they'd whoop us a few times. The infamous 6-2 and the 5-3 spring to mind. Even under Souness he'd put all the big guns out against us...which is sort of nice.

Is it true that Scholes has scored more SJP goals in his career than Dyer?

Guest TampaToon

A week ago, before the Bolton game, most football analysts and journalists were tipping us to come top 10, now after one match it jumps to 4th? 

kneejerk, like all other things newcastle.  let's just get to Christmas and see how do before the media and fans get the newcastle rollercoaster going again.  at some point this year, we'll beat a far superior team and be touted as the team to break the Champions League monopoly, and we'll lose to an inferior team and be pegged as lucky to wind up top 10.  but these things even out over a season.

• 3 years later...

The media needs to fucking calm down :lol:

It's gonna raise the expectations of so many people and then the players will get booed at home when we're only 1-0 up against Derby or some shite like that. We cannot make the players feel unconfident when they play at home ffs.

This thread :lol:

Being 1-0 up at home vs Derby in the Premiership :lol:

Random.

The media needs to fucking calm down :lol:

It's gonna raise the expectations of so many people and then the players will get booed at home when we're only 1-0 up against Derby or some shite like that. We cannot make the players feel unconfident when they play at home ffs.

This thread :lol:

Being 1-0 up at home vs Derby in the Premiership :lol:

Random.

Never happened, btw.

(1-0 up on Derby)

(4th)