WC 2018

macbeth

Sports Minister Richard Caborn says there is a "very good chance" England will bid for the 2018 World Cup.

Caborn, who recently sampled the atmosphere of the tournament on a fact-finding mission to Germany, is convinced England has the facilities to more than match the success of the event this summer.

Caborn said: "I think the way we're approaching this, I think that we obviously think there would be a very good chance of bidding for the World Cup.

"Obviously as a Sports Minister I'd be disappointed if we didn't (make a bid for 2018) because I'd be at the forefront of pushing it, as I was with the Olympics.

"There's no doubt its doable. You look at places like the Emirates Stadium and football grounds up and down the country and we have some of the best stadia in the world - I have no doubts at all.

"(It would be) 2009 for the actual bid itself, but the feasibility report will come out in the next few weeks or months and will tell us what the cost benefit analysis would be and so on, and we will build on that information.

"We will be looking at what our strengths and weaknesses are and will look to address those issues before we make a formal bid.

"If we're going to do it, we've got to do it right, and it's got to be well thought out."

Old Trafford

St James' Park

Ashburton Grove

City of Manchester Stadium

New Anfield

Olympic Stadium

Certainly wouldn't let the side down in terms of stadiums that's for sure!

Old Trafford

St James' Park

Ashburton Grove

City of Manchester Stadium

New Anfield

Olympic Stadium

Certainly wouldn't let the side down in terms of stadiums that's for sure!

There was talk last weekend of a UK bid to include Hampden, Celtic Park and maybe Millenium stadium. Although Welsh obviously coudn't be included in automatic entry :)

Also the option of Twickenham too.

I presume it will definitely be held in europe in 2018, which means we have to be favourites as the other big countries capable of hosting (germany,france,italy,spain) have all hosted within the last 24 years! I cant even think who is capable of putting in a decent challenge?

There won't be more than 2 stadiums in any one city. Plus the FA will want to spread the stadiums around the country, (one on the south coast) so one of the established stadiums will proberly miss out.

How in God's name did i forget Wembley? :?

Doesn't mean to say the Olympic (village, might i add) wouldn't come into use.

And yeah - seeing as it's hosted England games, the Stadium of Plight would probably be used. Went there for the Turkey game a couple of years back, and it wasn't bad in all honesty. But we'll just say the majority of the crowd were Geordies, as we know - not many Mackems go to watch games.

Aren't we forgetting Wembley? Also Chelsea should have a new stadium by then. Coventry's and Southamptons new stadiums are also good for the China vs Iraq type of games.

if u think that... then so would darlos

Aren't we forgetting Wembley? Also Chelsea should have a new stadium by then. Coventry's and Southamptons new stadiums are also good for the China vs Iraq type of games.

...you're going to need a much larger stadium just to fit the chinese fans :D

Depending on what happens over the next 3 years or so, football-wise, I think FIFA would prefer to go down a route of an up and coming football nation.  China, USA, or Australia will probably be strong candidates, especially if Brazil or Argentina get the 2014 World Cup.

More info here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2018_world_cup

Despite the US having more stadium capacity, I think England's bid would be the most impressive, because of the high quality of these Football only stadia.

The story goes that Australia is already in the process of putting a bid together - and while we don't have the stadia yet I'd be confident of brushing off any challenge from Europe...

China, on the other hand... If they put in a bid no one else need bother... :(

Guest Geordiesned

I'll be able to take my son. He'll be 9 by then! :D

does she restrict your sex allowance down to specific years now ?

I don't even know his mam will be yet man! :lol:

• 1 year later...
Guest Texasmag

I've just seen this on the BBC, and thought it worthy of posting. There are a lot of upset fans on 606.

Source : http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport2/hi/football/internationals/6939170.stm

Fifa man opposes England 2018 bid 

By Chris Mitchell

BBC World Service 

Warner wants the 2018 World Cup to come to the Concacaf region

Fifa vice-president Jack Warner said he will battle to stop England hosting the 2018 World Cup.

His decision will be a blow to the Football Association, who were likely to plan a bid on the back of any change to the current selection procedures.

"If the World Cup were to go to Europe, I'm quite sure, with the English luck as it is, they won't get it," Warner told BBC World Service.

"There are moves to give it to England. I must fight that."

Warner, a member of the world football body's executive committee since 1983, added: "It will be Italy, Spain, or even France who will get the World Cup if it goes to Europe.

606: DEBATE

What are your views on Warner's comments? 

"Nobody in Europe likes England. England invented the sport but has never made any impact on world football."

It is believed Fifa president Sepp Blatter is set to end the World Cup rotation policy when the executive committee meet later in the year.

Instead, the association are likely to approve a format that only precludes the continents that held the previous two World Cups from bidding again, which in 2018 would be Africa and South America.

Warner, president of Concacaf, added that he would battle to bring international football's premier tournament to his region, which covers North and Central America and the Caribbean.

England invented the sport but has never had made any impact on world football

Fifa vice-president Jack Warner

"I really don't believe that we should just lay down and play dead to anyone who wants to take the World Cup from Concacaf," he said.

In July another Fifa executive committee member and former World Cup winner, German legend Franz Beckenbauer, offered his support to England hosting the 2018 World Cup.

He told BBC Five Live's Sportsweek: "There is no better country in Europe to host the World Cup in 2018. England is the favourite."

He added: "The most important thing is to end the rotation and bring the tournament back to Europe.

"The Premier League at the moment is the best league in Europe and the stadiums are outstanding.

"In my opinion, there is only one very serious candidate and it is England."

BBC World Service will air the full interview with Jack Warner on World Football with Alan Green on Saturday 11 August and Saturday 18 August.

Guest afternoonfix

he has a point , as more attractive venues go italy,france or spain would be a better choice.

So what's his reasong apart from 'Nobody Likes England'? :lol:

How old is he?

Giving it to France again so soon would be ridiculous, even Italy would be chancing it a bit.

Still though, what a pleb. :lol:

He's a cunt, proper corrupt as well. There was some Panorama type program on a while back, might even have just been Panorama, about FIFA staff and bungs and I'm pretty sure this guy was one of the main ones they were investigating.

Guest Texasmag

play it in england,in the winter and see if it evens up the years of playing in the summer

Half of the PL games would have to be cancelled. Don't think that would work, as there would be a lot of upset fans who don't follow England.

Must admit, he does look a bit ropey.