"Fergie Eyes Up Martins" writes Custis in The Sun

NSG

Christ I'm fucking sick of this. When will the shitty red tops leave us alone?

I enjoy it, feeding a sort of "them and us" mentality from what I can see. Fuck the lot of them.

They have stories to write and allocations to fill, they need something to fill their quota, nature of the beast and all that.

The more people realise that the papers are full of shite the better, let's just hope that they're wrong again.

While we're on the subject of Martins, is anyone else not worried that he hasn't figured out that he can probably just knock the ball quite far past a defender and run, instead of slowing the ball down to walking pace and using fancy footwork?

While we're on the subject of Martins, is anyone else not worried that he hasn't figured out that he can probably just knock the ball quite far past a defender and run, instead of slowing the ball down to walking pace and using fancy footwork?

You've already said that once.

Yes, and i was hoping someone would enlighten me on the matter

I echo the sentiment though, he frustrates the life out of me sometimes, but I'm not knocking 2 goals in 2 games from the position he's been playing. One outstanding goal that only he could have scored as well.

gudjonsen, although overrated, is a great player but yeah only fits into a 442,  possibly a 451

are they new levis ?

fattest man on earth if you're talking about waist sizes like.. just can't be a*sed to put the dashes in.. you get what i mean..

I echo the sentiment though, he frustrates the life out of me sometimes, but I'm not knocking 2 goals in 2 games from the position he's been playing. One outstanding goal that only he could have scored as well.

Yeah same. I do rate the guy, although I think he still has a long way to go but with the right coaching he could become an excellent striker. I'm just concerned he'll never pick up the things that tend to come more naturally to strikers.

Guest eyeball_tickler

martins couldnt have committed his future to us any more in the last few days and he's still linked with a move.

looks like owen was right all along.

gudjonsen, although overrated, is a great player but yeah only fits into a 442,  possibly a 451

are they new levis ?

fattest man on earth if you're talking about waist sizes like.. just can't be a*sed to put the dashes in.. you get what i mean..

were 501's etc to do with waist sizes ?

anyway,the good thing is that if martins goes it wont be for the club needing cash but the manager deciding he's expendable. Got to admit mind i'm very 50-50 on martins,he's aplayer that can be s*** yet still get you a goal out of nowt and doesn't seem a man utd sort of player.

Problem with Martins, like a lot of talented footballers is he'd rather impress with a sublime move than play the game simply and be effective. For all intent and purposes he's just Lomano Tresor with more ability. His reading and understanding of the game is shocking.

Funny thing about this thread is it just takes us back to the value our players thread, he maybe worth 20+ million in the eyes of some of our supporters but until he has a new contract without that release clause the price tag remains 13m and not a penny more.

Guest Matt10

http://www.thesun.co.uk/article/0,,2002390000-2007380667,00.html

Desperate Alex eyes up Martins

By SHAUN CUSTIS

August 21, 2007

ALEX FERGUSON has hit the panic button and put the word out: I need a striker NOW.

The shock new name on his radar is Newcastle frontman Obafemi Martins.

We can reveal Manchester United boss Fergie has made enquiries about Martins as he bids to solve his early-season goalscoring crisis.

His side have netted just once in three games.

Ferguson has also been linked with Bolton’s French international striker Nicolas Anelka.

And Spurs ace Dimitar Berbatov is still keen on a move to United, who were linked with the Bulgarian at the end of last season.

Fergie’s problem is he has spent a fortune this summer and there is very little left to play with — Berbatov would cost in the region of £25m.

However, Martins has a £13m release clause in his contract and Toon boss Sam Allardyce has admitted he is powerless to stop the Nigerian leaving if any club matches the price.

Martins, 22, told SunSport last weekend that he was ready to sign a six-year contract and remove the clause from any new agreement.

But the lure of a possible move to Old Trafford might change his mind.

Martins’ scoring record is what Fergie is looking for. He bagged 17 last season and already has two this time round.

United’s French striker Louis Saha is expected to return to action in the next fortnight.

But he is a fragile figure who could easily break down again, while Wayne Rooney is out for two months with a broken foot.

If Fergie could ensure Saha stays fit, the manager may give the cheque-book a rest but he cannot guarantee it.

United would face competition from rivals Manchester City should they move for Anelka, 28.

The hotshot has been offered to both clubs by his representatives — but Bolton want £12m.

City initially rejected the chance to buy their former hitman.

But Sven Goran Eriksson has done a U-turn after new £6m striker Valeri Bojinov was ruled out for four months with a knee injury.

Keegan as DoF, Ashley selling up to Chinamen or maybe Icelandic businessmen (with Shearer somehow figuring), Allardyce frustrated, Oba to Arsenal, Oba to Man Utd, N'Zogbia to Fulham, Owen to wherever.

I wish someone would start a media watch because this summer has been ridiculous.  The British football media are amateurs and liars. 

Keegan as DoF, Ashley selling up to Chinamen or maybe Icelandic businessmen (with Shearer somehow figuring), Allardyce frustrated, Oba to Arsenal, Oba to Man Utd, N'Zogbia to Fulham, Owen to wherever.

I wish someone would start a media watch because this summer has been ridiculous.  The British football media are amateurs and liars. 

This.  North American sports are at least covered by Journalists. 

martins couldnt have committed his future to us any more in the last few days and he's still linked with a move.

The story will be bullshit but I'd call it the very definition of naive if people think that Martins wouldn't leave in second if Man U wanted him.