Steven Taylor

SUPERTOON

A bit knee jerk to say that cacapa should replace taylor after playing a grand total of around 45 minutes...

I would say keep on doing the same Sam, give him more minutes and if he seems better than taylor then replace him...nobody is indispensible!

Was solid tonight alongside Cacapa who I must admit looks absolutely class personified positionally.

Cacapa and Roz seem the most reliable partnership at this rate. It will do Tayls good not to play every game anyway. Taylor and Roz should be the back 2 for the harder games.

Was solid tonight alongside Cacapa who I must admit looks absolutely class personified positionally.

Cacapa looks like a very good centre half. So he should be given his record in top flight football. His pace and strength are good but his reading of the game is on an altogether different level to anything we have seen since Woodgate.

Guest Knightrider

Cacapa looks like a very good centre half. So he should be given his record in top flight football. His pace and strength are good but his reading of the game is on an altogether different level to anything we have seen since Woodgate.

Despite the opposition and this being his first game, I have to say I agree that his reading of the game in this one match was as you say as good as anything since Woodgate and while that may say more about our shoddy defending over the years than Cacapa's abilities, nevertheless he was absolutely superb tonight in everything he done. Everyone around me were all saying the same thing "classy".

• 5 months later...

Just heard an interesting argument and I think I might agree.

The new boy Wheater at Boro I think is better than Taylor.

Big brute that wins a ton in the air and throws his weight about a fair bit, is genuinely physical with strikers and is pretty succesful with it.

I keep on hearing about how Taylor is muscular or is a physical presence ... but when I watch him I just don't see it. To be honest he gets pushed around a lot of times.

As a matter of fact what are Taylor's good attributes? What does he do that is impressive? I've just listed Wheater's goodish points, but I honestly can't think of any for Taylor, other than being a Geordie.

Oh wait ... spectacular and dramatic goaline clearances with his hands? Does that count?

I hope he is at the very least a squad player next season, not ready yet and may never be.

Big brute that wins a ton in the air and throws his weight about a fair bit, is genuinely physical with strikers and is pretty succesful with it.

I keep on hearing about how Taylor is muscular or is a physical presence ... but when I watch him I just don't see it. To be honest he gets pushed around a lot of times.

As a matter of fact what are Taylor's good attributes? What does he do that is impressive? I've just listed Wheater's goodish points, but I honestly can't think of any for Taylor, other than being a Geordie.

Oh wait ... spectacular and dramatic goaline clearances with his hands? Does that count?

I hope he is at the very least a squad player next season, not ready yet and may never be.

It's already been rather widely accepted that Wheater is looking a good bit more promising than Taylor.

absolutely

Jesus christ. Wheater has exactly the same weaknesses as Taylor, the guy throws himself into challenges often taking the man instead of the ball and is often caught out of position. Against Sheffield at the weekend he got caught out and should've been off for pulling the chap back, and against us he could've picked up about 6 yellow cards. Some people on here would be tearing into him and calling him overrated if he was playing for Newcastle.

It's already been rather widely accepted that Wheater is looking a good bit more promising than Taylor.

Until people realise maybe 30-40 games down the line that Wheater isn't as good as he's been hyped up to be.

Wheater is amazing..physically..Taylor has the general defending abilltys (Tackling, Marking, Postioning)..while Wheater takes a more physicall approach to the game.

Was a delight seeing them play side by side in the last U-21 international, hope to see more of that in the future.

Jesus christ. Wheater has exactly the same weaknesses as Taylor, the guy throws himself into challenges often taking the man instead of the ball and is often caught out of position. Against Sheffield at the weekend he got caught out and should've been off for pulling the chap back, and against us he could've picked up about 6 yellow cards. Some people on here would be tearing into him and calling him overrated if he was playing for Newcastle.

Taylor has had three times as many appearances for his club and the U21 side, though. Where is the improvement in his game?

Taylor has had three times as many appearances for his club and the U21 side, though. Where is the improvement in his game?

Well i see improvement, he doesn't make as many positional mistakes as he used to, under Roeder he got noticeably stronger physically, and he doesn't dwell on the ball as much as he used to. We've seen him put in great performances against the likes of Chelsea, Man U, and Arsenal in the past, so we know what he is capable of. He's still very young for a centerback and as he gets older(and as the team around him gets better, lets face it the midfield offers no protection and there has been to time for partnerships in the back 4 to build up) he will get more consistent. People just need to show patience, something which seems to be lacking on this board when it comes to young players.

Well i see improvement, he doesn't make as many positional mistakes as he used to, under Roeder he got noticeably stronger physically, and he doesn't dwell on the ball as much as he used to. We've seen him put in great performances against the likes of Chelsea, Man U, and Arsenal in the past, so we know what he is capable of. He's still very young for a centerback and as he gets older(and as the team around him gets better, lets face it the midfield offers no protection and there has been to time for partnerships in the back 4 to build up) he will get more consistent. People just need to show patience, something which seems to be lacking on this board when it comes to young players.

:nods:

Except with Milner  :D

I would hate to come through the academy and play in front of the fuking major fuking twats that call themselves NUFC fans.

You're a bunch of fuking dildo suking wank stains.

Because we don't bum an average player just because he's come through the youth system?

Taylor should think himself lucky he's the local lad who came through the academy because that's what has stopped most getting on his back inside of the ground.

I would hate to come through the academy and play in front of the fuking major fuking twats that call themselves NUFC fans.

You're a bunch of fuking dildo suking w*** stains.

Because we don't bum an average player just because he's come through the youth system?

Taylor should think himself lucky he's the local lad who came through the academy because that's what has stopped most getting on his back inside of the ground.

So why do people rate Taylor as a prospect, but not Ramage?

You're a bunch of fuking dildo suking wank stains.

Don't bun average players?

Shut the fuk up man, its all we've ever done.

If we had anything above average we'd be miles off were we are.

Both arguments are true actually, the idea that Taylor gets a lot of slack for being a Geordie and the idea that we treat our players horribly.

By virtue of being a Geordie, Taylor is merely treated badly by our fans as opposed to being completely brutalized like Milner is.

You're a bunch of fuking dildo suking w*** stains.

So why do people rate Taylor as a prospect, but not Ramage?

From Wiki

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steven_Taylor_%28footballer%29

Tayls as he is affectionately known, suffered a serious shoulder injury playing for the England Under 21's, of which he further aggravated against Liverpool on Boxing Day 2005. This injury kept him out for the rest of the season, with the defending being left to Titus Bramble, Jean-Alain Boumsong, Peter Ramage and Craig Moore. He did, however, make a substitute appearance in Alan Shearer's testimonial match on May 11. During the 2005 season, youth graduates Steven Taylor and Peter Ramage became fan favourites, due to the frequent mistakes and errors of the now departed pair, Titus Bramble and Jean-Alain Boumsong.