The Goalkeeper Issue

Sparks

Right, anybody who has read my posts over the past couple of weeks will know that I am far from happy with what's going with our goalkeepers.

Nobody knows what is going on at the moment. None of the fans, media or even the goalkeepers themselves know who is first choice and that uncertainty creates a problem. Given doesn't know where he stands and Harper doesn't know if he is about to be dropped.

The back five are not going to be able to form an understanding if we changing personnel there every few games. Continuity and consistency of selection if one of the most important things when it comes to creating a solid defensive unit. For all Benitez's tinkering, there is one position he doesn't f*** about with and that's his goalkeeper, Reina plays no matter what if he is fit. The same happens with Cech, and Van Der Sar.

Allardyce needs to make a decision and stick to it, you can't continue to change or be unsure as to who you are going to put in goal. The reality of the situation is that he may simply not rate Given. I don't buy all this bullshit people have been saying about Harper deserving to be first choice simply because he hasn't done badly so far this season. When Jaaskelainen was out injured or suspended, Allardyce never thought twice about not bringing him back in.

I'm utterly amazed and shocked about people even questioning Given's position as number one. To say people have short memories in instance would be the understatement of the century, as they would have to be in some drug induced haze to forgotten what Given has done for the past 7 or 8 seasons.

The time has come for Allardyce to pick his first choice keeper, and no more f****** about. Whether it is Harper or Given we can't carry on as it is at the moment where we go into every game guessing who the goalkeeper is going to be.

Nobody knows what is going on at the moment. None of the fans, media or even the goalkeepers themselves know who is first choice and that uncertainty creates a problem. Given doesn't know where he stands and Harper doesn't know if he is about to be dropped.

Well said, sums it up really.

Right, anybody who has read my posts over the past couple of weeks will know that I am far from happy with what's going with our goalkeepers.

The back five are not going to be able to form an understanding if we changing personnel there every few games. Continuity and consistency of selection if one of the most important things when it comes to creating a solid defensive unit. For all Benitez's tinkering, there is one position he doesn't f*** about with and that's his goalkeeper, Reina plays no matter what if he is fit. The same happens with Cech, and Van Der Sar.

Allardyce needs to make a decision and stick to it, you can't continue to change or be unsure as to who you are going to put in goal. The reality of the situation is that he may simply not rate Given. I don't buy all this bullshit people have been saying about Harper deserving to be first choice simply because he hasn't done badly so far this season. When Jaaskelainen was out injured or suspended, Allardyce never thought twice about not bringing him back in.

I'm utterly amazed and shocked about people even questioning Given's position as number one. To say people have sort memories in instance would be the understatement of the century, as they would have to be in some drug induced haze to forgotten what Given has done for the past 7 or 8 seasons.

The time has come for Allardyce to pick his first choice keeper, and no more f****** about. Whether it is Harper or Given we can't carry on as it is at the moment where we go into every game guessing who the goalkeeper is going to be.

Harper will play on Sunday, Given v Arse in the cup, Harper in the next league game unless he loses form.

It seems pretty straightforward to me

I can understand why he has started Harper, maybe to prove a point. I don't buy this 'harper hasn't done anything wrong' stuff though. Given has proved he is a better keeper over the years and is one of the best in the world. We need him back in asap.

I really hope its Given to be honest!Harpers a good solid keeper but Givens a different class!Wouldnt be surprised if Sam gets rid of Given and brings in Jaasskelainen,hope to God hee doesnt!Would be devestated if Given left!Maybe hes just playing Harper against the so called weaker teams?Might bring back Given for the bigger games next week!Surely he cant doubt Givens ability,I would be really worried about Sams judgement if he did!

Guest bluegeordie

Saprks, I suspect that to make his point about nobody owning their spot, and having to fight for their place, Big Sam will wait for a slip-up from Harps, and then reinstall Shay. From that point on, if the latter shows the kind of consistency and brilliance that imo you rightly attribute to him over numerous years, then the spot will basically be his once again.

Oh, and by the way, I take your point about the benefits of consistency in the goalkeeping department, and thought you made it well in regard to Rafa's approach.

i have much respect for steve harpers ability and dedication to this club. he's a talented goalie that could start on some premiership teams. however, PUT GIVEN IN NET!!!!

Guest FlapjackJoe

Harper will play on Sunday, Given v Arse in the cup, Harper in the next league game unless he loses form.

Ermmmm, yeah, agree with that (almost).  Given just came back from an injury, and played in 2 internationals while Harper didn't.  Harper was the obvious choice yesterday.  One of them will play in the league against West Ham, and the other in the cup against Arsenal.  I just think that Given will be first choice after that, not Harper.

Will you all relax, already?  ;)

Ermmmm, yeah, agree with that (almost).  Given just came back from an injury, and played in 2 internationals while Harper didn't.  Harper was the obvious choice yesterday.  One of them will play in the league against West Ham, and the other in the cup against Arsenal.  I just think that Given will be first choice after that, not Harper.

Will you all relax, already?  ;)

Last night was the third successive league game when Given was on the bench. It's been over three weeks since he came back from injury and he had two extra days rest over all the other goalkeepers who played in Internationals in the week.

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Given gone in January if this continues. He won't sit on the bench for us and be the good servant that Harper has been. Simple as.

Seconded.

Harper shouldnt even be allowed near Newcaslte Blue Star's starting 11, nevermind Newcastle United's starting 11.

Because he has been shocking this season.....

Where as Englands number 1 has shown the real difference in class.

Could harper have saved millers goal last night?

from where i was standing at the match it looked like he just had 2 stick a hand out but he didnt  :rant:

I can only guess that you were standing outside the ground because where I was standing he had no chance.

A joke situation.  Shay is head and shoulders above Harps.  Among top 5 keepers in the league and we are messing with him.  Great tactic.