Shay Concedes 7 in Three Games

Crumpy Gunt

i'd keep shay in, he's an infintely better keeper than harper who just had a bad game.. taking him off now would only increase the nerves and shatter the guys confidence.

harpers been sidelined by shay for years, thats what he's used to so i doubt he'll feel hard done by. Give shay more games to prove how much of a stud he is between the sticks and if he ends up doing another ''robbinson" THEN take him off.

Guest sombrero

i am not saying harper has done anything to deserve being dropped, but given hasnt done enough to be put in second place. i still rate given as a great goalkeeper, and with a new defense thats only still coming together the whole thing needs a bit of time, i dont think harper feels like he is hard done by, if given doest do well in the next few games and harper gets picked, its because harper earned it, in the past, i would not have expected to see shay given subbed off for harper if he had a bad run, although right now, harper already had a longer run than usual even when given was able to play, and im sure he will play soon if given is not yet on form.

BOTTOM LIME however, Given is world class.  Harper is one of the best backup goalies. the fact that we have two goalkeepers and both are good enough to do the job?, i wish we had this nice little problem in defense! or anywhere else in the team.

Had a perfect view from my seat of their second goal and you could tell Given was in no mans land...i knew it wouldn't creep in but obviosuly he thaught otherwise....Bringer Harper back !!! ( As i've said all season i prefer him over Seamous )

not been the same since harewood ripped him to pieces

Agree entirely.

The 05/06 season will remain his finest individual season at the club. Shame we as a team were shite for three quarters of it. He hasn't been the same since then.

But he's hardly over the hill for a goalkeeper and i think he'll pick up, but he's probably beyond his exceptional best.

(Not kneejerking here, i still think he's a bloody good goalkeeper and will continue to be for the duration of his time at the club, but he's clearly been wobbled since that injury)

all this about their 2nd goal, if it was harper most people would be shouting and screaming going mad, because its shay given, people arnt as harsh...

:rolleyes:

Other way around you mean.  Have you seen the title of this thread?

Given made a right mess of the second Everton goal. Had fuck all else to do though really, barring one good smothering save in the second half IIRC.

Do you not think there could have been shout for him to leave it.

Maybe. I don't think he could leave it though, it would have bounced in a very dangerous area. He just flapped and fucked it up.

Given made a right mess of the second Everton goal. Had fuck all else to do though really, barring one good smothering save in the second half IIRC.

Maybe. I don't think he could leave it though, it would have bounced in a very dangerous area. He just flapped and fucked it up.

OK maybe not leave it, but there was no fucker near him, I don't see why he was panicking so much trying to get it over the bar, it wasn't like anyone was going to nod it in at the back post. Could he have caught it if someone had yelled that he had time?

It looked like it was spinning in at the time and would certainly have hit the inside of the post had he left it. It looks poor but people would have slagged him off if he'd have left it and it bounced in off the post. Just one of those things.

Better than being beaten from 65 yards out I suppose.

Guest Synthespian

I agree.

At least Given tried.

Mind you, he did look shaky.  Not something I've ever seen or thought from Shay.

Given was poor today, after watching MOTD you can see just how poor he was today.

Made more mistakes than Harper has all season. Anichebe incident, making a pigs ear of their second goal and fixed to the line for their first making zero attempt to intercept the ball coming in for Johnson to score from 1yrd.

If I was Steve Harper I'd be well pissed off if I wasn't between the sticks at Reading.

Given was poor today, after watching MOTD you can see just how poor he was today.

Made more mistakes than Harper has all season. Anichebe incident, making a pigs ear of their second goal and fixed to the line for their first making zero attempt to intercept the ball coming in for Johnson to score from 1yrd.

If I was Steve Harper I'd be well pissed off if I wasn't between the sticks at Reading.

I think that's fair enough. :thup:

I think it's knee jerk-tastic calling for him to be dropped after 1 dodgy game.  If we dropped keepers everytime they made a mistake, we'd never have a proper number 1, we'd have 2 keepers low on confidence.

The way some people talk you'd think we had Paul Robinson in nets.

I think it's knee jerk-tastic calling for him to be dropped after 1 dodgy game.  If we dropped keepers everytime they made a mistake, we'd never have a proper number 1, we'd have 2 keepers low on confidence.

The way some people talk you'd think we had Paul Robinson in nets.

7 in 3 games as the title suggests!