Alan Smith

Dave

Was top class tonight, still think he needs to be more of a goal threat as a striker but its that sort of performance that will sway me into thinking he wasn't a waste of money. Still chasing it till the endand won everything put to him.

Guest The Libertine

its good to know that he can play this well. not the first time he's had a good game up front and will be an important player when martins goes to the ACN.

miles and miles better than ameobi.

If Smith could score he would be fantastic. Unfortuntely he doesn't really have it in him which you need in a forward even if its just 10-15 goals a season.

I am massively impressed with him tonight though.

its good to know that he can play this well. not the first time he's had a good game up front and will be an important player when martins goes to the ACN.

miles and miles better than ameobi.

My freaking armchair is better than Shola!

Well done Smudger though! :thup:

Similar to Heskey going by what picking seen?

I said when people were talking about signing Heskey that Smith could probably do the job and possibly do it better.

I have been very harsh on Smith because 1) I think the money could have been spent better and 2) I think he will probably play more games in midfield than he will up front but I do like him as a striker, just don't think he is good enough as a first team regular due to his lack of goals. Ameobi is a far worse player but I think if both of them had consistant runs with players that suited their style Shola would score more. Smith has shown in the past (I seem to remember him getting 2 very good goals against us quite a few years ago) that he has the ability to score but for one reason or another he doesn't do it often enough.

Guest Guinness

Quality tonight, really gave his all, he chased down every ball right up to the last minute. He looks a different player up front, hopefully he has a spell there now.

This post is going to cause several on here to want to fish slap me into a canal, but stick Smith next to Owen and we will score a bucket load.

Martins just doesn't offer the threat of Owen or the link up play of Smith.

Martins + Smith is our best strike partnership purely because they compliment each other so well - what Martins lacks, Smith possesses, and vice versa.

On paper we have better individual forwards, ones with better goalscoring records, however they have severe weaknesses that cant be compensated by any combination of strike partnership, nor can they play on their own.

This post is going to cause several on here to want to fish slap me into a canal, but stick Smith next to Owen and we will score a bucket load.

Don't see why you'd think that. Totally agree.

Martins has pace, good shooting ability, and an infinitely higher work rate than Owen. He's also shown he can play down the flanks to a moderately decent degree.

Owen on the other hand is slow, hardly in the game, and only wants to play in a central position, which is where Smith does his best work. Itd cause Smith to either drop very deep or play wide, neither of which makes Smith as effective as when hes up front causing problems for a centreback. As a partnership, Owen + Smith would have no pace in it.

Owen will never play 15 consecutive Premiership games ever again.

Smith played very well and Martins had one of those games where his first touch was decent and his passing was consistent.