January window targets

TRon

Guest Knightrider

We don't really need Owen now

Rubbish tbh.

How many games this season, with our style of play, are we going to be deadlocked against a beatable side for 85 minutes? It's already been the case in four of the matches this season, two of which Owen was out of shape and we ultimately drew (Boro and Villa). The other two games i'm thinking of are Wigan and Everton, where Owen was on form and scored what were both ultimately very late winners in both. See what i'm saying.

We need Owen more than we need a lot of players. It's the Shearers and the Owens who win you those games, not (as much as i like him) the likes of Martins and Anelka.

If the striking department is tampered with in January, i'll be pretty annoyed tbh. Needless, absolutely needless.

(Wouldn't be too fussed if Shola were to leave, though)

Of course we need him now because the transfer window is shut but long-term? We don't in my opinion. We need someone who is a better all-round player who can play in a number of roles and alongside a number of options who won't miss large chunks of the season.

Rubbish tbh.

How many games this season, with our style of play, are we going to be deadlocked against a beatable side for 85 minutes? It's already been the case in four of the matches this season, two of which Owen was out of shape and we ultimately drew (Boro and Villa). The other two games i'm thinking of are Wigan and Everton, where Owen was on form and scored what were both ultimately very late winners in both. See what i'm saying.

We need Owen more than we need a lot of players. It's the Shearers and the Owens who win you those games, not (as much as i like him) the likes of Martins and Anelka.

If the striking department is tampered with in January, i'll be pretty annoyed tbh. Needless, absolutely needless.

Of course we need him now because the transfer window is shut but long-term? We don't in my opinion. We need someone who is a better all-round player Why? We have those players in the squad, and if we were to bring another one in, it should be a midfielder. Owen is a bigger asset than Anelka cos with Owen, there's always a 100% chance you will score in the respective game; his all-round play is pretty fecking good anyhow!

who can play in a number of roles Why? A striker's a striker and we've got a squad of very good ones as it is.

and alongside a number of options I'd wager that Owen really is so good, that he'll play with any one of our strikers (in a 4-4-2) and be effective.

who won't miss large chunks of the season. I'll give you that one, but who's to say he will anyway? ;)

Rubbish tbh.

Of course we need him now because the transfer window is shut but long-term? We don't in my opinion. We need someone who is a better all-round player who can play in a number of roles and alongside a number of options who won't miss large chunks of the season.

That description fits someone perfectly. Either him, Eidur or Huntelaar. The first two must be logical targets considering theyve played under Big Sam before and are in pretty undesirable situations for players of their calibre.

Guest Knightrider

Rubbish tbh.

Of course we need him now because the transfer window is shut but long-term? We don't in my opinion. We need someone who is a better all-round player Why? We have those players in the squad, and if we were to bring another one in, it should be a midfielder. Owen is a bigger asset than Anelka cos with Owen, there's always a 100% chance you will score in the respective game; his all-round play is pretty fecking good anyhow!

who can play in a number of roles Why? A striker's a striker and we've got a squad of very good ones as it is.

and alongside a number of options I'd wager that Owen really is so good, that he'll play with any one of our strikers (in a 4-4-2) and be effective.

who won't miss large chunks of the season. I'll give you that one, but who's to say he will anyway? ;)

Anelka will create more chances and prove a bigger goal threat, that may not translate into lots of goals for him as an individual (although he'll grab his fair share) but it would for others which can't be said of Owen. In short while one is undeniably the better finisher and therefore likely to score the more goals, the other is likewise undeniably the better all-round player especially within the context of a team unit and therefore more of an asset to the team. In my opinion anyway. I'd swap in a heartbeat. I'd also swap for Martins begrudgingly.

The main plus point for Anelka is that he can play in almost any combination, since he has strength and pace. Anelka and Martins upfront would scare the majority of defenders im sure.

I think we may be in a pickle regarding owen this summer. He will have only 1 year left on his contract ( i think? correct me if im wrong?) His release clause supposedly lowers again. We could be in a position where we have to sell him.  Bolton look doomed under 'Mr Bolton Wanderers football club' and have a good chance of going down. Anelka could be an ideal replacement if we were forced to sell Owen.

The main plus point for Anelka is that he can play in almost any combination, since he has strength and pace. Anelka and Martins upfront would scare the majority of defenders im sure.

I think we may be in a pickle regarding owen this summer. He will have only 1 year left on his contract ( i think? correct me if im wrong?) His release clause supposedly lowers again. We could be in a position where we have to sell him.  Bolton look doomed under 'Mr Bolton Wanderers football club' and have a good chance of going down. Anelka could be an ideal replacement if we were forced to sell Owen.

I wouldn't be surprised if one of Diouf or Anelka is in a Toon Kit by either January or June. 

I wouldn't be surprised if one of Diouf or Anelka is in a Toon Kit by either January or June. 

Hope its the latter, and not Diouf, who is up there with Ljungberg as an annoying, diving, cheating piece of shit footballer who's main talent is the ability to draw fouls by diving.

Hope its the latter, and not Diouf, who is up there with Ljungberg as an annoying, diving, cheating piece of s*** footballer who's main talent is the ability to draw fouls by diving.

I wouldn't be that bothered because I know Diouf respects Sam (I've seen him state that in interviews), you're not that far off, though.  To Diouf's credit he tore us to shreds at Sid James last year and changed the game when he came on at the Reebok. 

Gudjohnsson and Edmilson would do nicely. A quality RW thrown in would be lovely as well. Like I said earlier, then concentrate on full back backups.

Fuck me, a transfer window where I don't want us to sign a CB!

Gudjohnsson and Edmilson would do nicely. A quality RW thrown in would be lovely as well. Like I said earlier, then concentrate on full back backups.

Fuck me, a transfer window where I don't want us to sign a CB!

aye, forgot about gudjohnsson.. him or anelka i wonder...

Guest jamesmartinsmith

Anelka has also looked very promising in recent years, i.e. he still has pace and a good finishing ability. Owen however, has lost his pace and his injuries are ridiculous.

He took some time to settle in at Bolton and took about 2 and a half months to score. Although, since then he has scored 16 league goals in a weak team. Anelka has also made 44 league appearances since late August 2006. Since August 2005, Owen has made 20 league appearances.

Owen is a world-class player, when he isn't injured. I think our striking options are very impressive this season and there is no need to tamper in January unless the right offer does come in for Owen. Anelka will be even more unsettled now Lee's gone and if he has a good relationship with Big Sam, it's time to go for him.

The large crowd in attendance to watch the Red Bulls beat Kansas City on Saturday included one very interested spectator. Newcastle United's chief scout was in attendance and, while sources state he was there to gauge the quality of play in Major League Soccer, it appears he was there to scout a particular player.

No, it wasn't Jozy Altidore, at least that is what sources tell me. The scout was there to see Wizards forward Eddie Johnson, whose contract is set to expire at the end of the season.

It wasn't exactly the best game for Johnson, who missed a penalty kick and didn't really go off, but Newcastle can't be blamed for being interested in an athletic forward who qualifies for a work permit AND who can come on a free transfer in during the winter. Also, if your team had Michael Owen, who is always a risk to get hurt, wouldn't you be looking for some inexpensive mid-season alternatives at forward?

And before you go ripping on the scout (whose name I wasn't able to get) for looking at Johnson instead of Altidore, he did meet with Altidore after the match. I saw the two chatting outside the Red Bulls locker room afterwards. A source close to Altidore insists that it was just a casual handshake and chat but let's face it, if the scout is worth his salt, he knows who Altidore is and surely watched him with some added interest on Saturday. Unfortunately for Jozy, he was used out of position and didn't have one of his best matches either. Even with that, the scout still saw a a skillful and athletic player with impressive size who just so happens to still be 17.

Guest Harry-Norway

Please go for Brede Hangeland ,the Norwegian defender in FC Copenhagen now Toon before someone else pick him up,he had a very good game last night again for Norway 2-0 win against Bosnia

Guest ElScorcho

Well one player i certianly don't want to see here is Jussi Jaskalienen (sp)

i agree, he is the biggest pile of s****...used to be good though

Jussi is not that bad. He has kept clean sheet in Finlands last three games against Serbia, Poland and Belgium. Bolton defence is just so f****** poor. But still no need for Jääskeläinen at Newcastle, because of Given and Harper.