Spuds Pre match thread

NSG

with those two up front i'm sure Sam will want a solid midfield who can keep the ball. i think we might see N'Zogbia - Emre - Butt - Geremi, perhaps with Rozehnal or Faye in midfield to give extra physical presence, and Milner on the left instead of N'Zogbia as he tracks back better.

Nice prediction johnnyd. With all those options, you are bound to get it right somehow.

A midfield with Milner on the left, Geremi on the right and Butt/Rozehnal/Faye - Emre/Rozehnal/Faye in the middle would be pathetic. No need to have an intelligent player like Owen on the field, if there isn't anyone there to supply him with creative passes.

Obviously, the best would be

N'Zogbia-Butt-Emre-Geremi/Milner

If Owen and Martins are to play together, we will desperatley need Emre and N'Zogbia in the midfield. Barton too, if he was fit enough.

Maybes Ive missed something, but how come Roz is always being linked with a spot in central midfield on this forum??

Surely we have enough central midfielders, who can hopefully do their job and play well - in central midfield.

Oba at left back anyone?

I think this would be the ideal match to try Martins and Owen together.  Spurs' defence is shocking and they wouldn't be able to cope with Martins' pace and Owen's movement.

The defence is only as good as its keeper and Robbo has been consistently grim this season.  Cerny at the present time is definitely a step up and Spurs showed at Anfield that the defence could do a good job against quality opposition.  I still think Spurs will lose but it could be a close encounter.

A defence is only as good as its keeper, :lol: does that mean we have had one of the best defenses in the world at the Toon, seeing as Given has been one of the best keepers in the world? This season our defence is better than it has been in a long time but Given seems to have taken a slight dip in form.

Funny thing to say like MJ. :D

Not really.  I'm not saying the back 4 is awesome, respectable but can make some mistakes.  But they are working with a handicap if the keeper this season drops crosses, misses punches, lets shots go through his legs, and pushes shots to oncoming opposition players.  Robbo has been really good for us but last season he was exceedingly mediocre and this season just downright abysmal.  The only shame is that Spurs haven't said that he's being dropped.

I wonder if Sam will still play a 4-3-3 for this one, I hope not but you just never know with Sam.

He has said we will need to change the way we play, playing a lot more to feet and balls down the sides so I think that hints at Emre starting.

Given

Beye

Cacapa

Roze

Enrique

Milner

Geremi

Emre

Zoggy

Owen

Martins

Thrilled that Oba and Owen are starting. Not so thrilled that he's broadcasted it to the opposition.

Perhaps it's because he knows Martin Jol is a tactical retard who won't have a clue how to change it anyway.

Thrilled that Oba and Owen are starting. Not so thrilled that he's broadcasted it to the opposition.

Perhaps it's because he knows Martin Jol is a tactical retard who won't have a clue how to change it anyway.

or he'll surprise us all and put shola up by himself

-------------------Harper------------------------

Beye------Cacapa---Faye-------Enrique----

Milner------------Butt------------------Charlie

-------------------Emre------------------------

-----------Owen---------Oba--------------

Bench :

Given

Rozenhal

Geremi

Barton

Viduka

2-0 Charlie (29) Owen (41)

Nice prediction johnnyd. With all those options, you are bound to get it right somehow.

A midfield with Milner on the left, Geremi on the right and Butt/Rozehnal/Faye - Emre/Rozehnal/Faye in the middle would be pathetic. No need to have an intelligent player like Owen on the field, if there isn't anyone there to supply him with creative passes.

Obviously, the best would be

N'Zogbia-Butt-Emre-Geremi/Milner

If Owen and Martins are to play together, we will desperatley need Emre and N'Zogbia in the midfield. Barton too, if he was fit enough.

I think Allardyce may sacrifice width from the midfield to make it more solid, as in his mind he'll think that there's no targetman to stick the ball to so we need to make up for it with increased possession and physicality in midfield, to keep things tight. it might well be owen and martins that provide our outlet for width, with a worst case scenario of geremi-butt-faye-emre lining up in midfield. nonetheless it will be interesting to see how Allardyce lines us up and how the team accomodates Owen and Martins, or indeed how we play in the absence of a so-called target man.

I've been predicting starting lineups this season using a Friday training orange bibs analysis.

This week, its a bit difficult, as those who played on Wednesday plus a couple others have clearly been given a break, with reserves taking their place in the training match.

I would however predict that Taylor, Geremi and Enrique start, while Butt, Barton, N'Zogbia and Ameobi miss out.

Orange bibs may not work this week though, as a consequence of the international week plus the Monday night fixture messing up training schedules.

I was chortling at you giving a definitive prediction, then saying that might all be bullshit cos of this and that. :D

Just jealous I've worked it out tbh.

I'd usually be 99% sure, but this weekend its 90%. Just be glad it isn't 100% as that would mean that Pattison starts.