Pompey (h) Pre Match Thread

Kev

Absolutely terrified of this game.

Really? At home to Portsmouth? Yes - they're a very good team, with some damn good players who have performed well away from home, but they're a Top 8 side. We're a Top 8 side, too, we're in the same bracket as them at the moment - we have home advantage so these are the games that we really should be winning.

Christ. The day that we're 'absolutely terrified' of a game at home to Portsmouth is a rather worrying prospect tbh. ???

We've beaten better this season imo.

Just looking at the table and IF we had beaten Derby and Reading, said in the same way as IF we had a different manager, we would be in 3rd place!

It's a little known fact that Portsmouth have never beaten a team that were currently in third place when they played them.

Mind you we're 8th.

i would go...................

given

beye    rozenhal  cacapa  enrique

geremi    butt  barton  n'zogbia

martins  owen

but feel allardyce will go...............

given

beye    faye    cacapa  enrique

geremi    butt  barton  milner

smith  owen.

1-0  owen

I just hope we just go all out for the win. Big Sam's been too cagey. We have home advantage, let's go at them from the off. If it fails, it fails, but the more defensive formations we've tried out have hardly been a rip-roaring success.

I agree about rozehnal coming in. They don't really have a burly target man type forward. Their main threat is the pace of Benjani and Utaka as wide forwards, which Rozehnal is better equipped to handle than Faye.

We will also need two hard working midfielders to deal with Muntari and Diop who do a good job getting forward and are two physical specimens. Butt and Barton would be the way to go.

Alan Smith should definitely start upfront too as he will help out the midfield defensively as we will essentially be lined up in more of a 4-4-1-1.

I think if we are going to move forward with Owen as our main striker then we absolutely have to partner him with Smith who can do the job of holding the ball up when we attack, but who will also do a good job of helping out the midfield when we defend as his workrate is excellent.

Playing Owen and Viduka will mean two strikers upfront who don't contribute anything when we are on the backfoot and we have to defend. These two should only ever be played upfront at home against lesser teams.

Where did Martins play at Inter? Was he always CF or did he ever play wide?

Pretty much always CF as far as I know. Usually used as an impact sub.

Do not seem Sam dropping his Captain or Owen,Martins, Bye, Enrique or Cacapa..

so ...

Given

Bye

Cacapa

Faye or Roze

Enrique

Geremi

?

?

?

Owen

Martins

Leaves the wings and 1 CM position up for grabs, I would think Barton would get the CM slot ahead of Emre or Butt, so Milner and Zoggy are who it probably will be, unless Geremi is played wide right instead of Milner and Zoggys plays wide left, don't see Sam going with Emre there again.

Bench of

Harper

Taylor

Faye/Roze

Emre/Butt

Smith

Despite Pompey being a decent threat this season, I think our home form has been very good and I believe we will win.  It just looks worse cause our away form is terrible and were playing Pompey off the back of an away defeat.

Going to say a 3 - 2 win to us.

Given

Beye

Roz

Cacapa

Enrique

Martins

Butt

Barton

Zog

Owen

Smith

Never gonna happen like!

Whatever he puts out, 2-1 win

Like this team. Possibly too attacking, but i really really like it as itwould cause them horrendous problems. Martins and Smith would have to come back and help out though at times.