Steve McClaren

Dave

Guest Howaythetoon

If we go into this season as is, we are going to struggle big time. Not Carver big time but Pardew big time. All the new lads are untested in this league and even with the superior coaching etc. this squad badly needs quality, experienced editions, far more than what has been brought in thus far.

Would it be at all surprising if these were the only 3 and Sissoko went to cover most of the outlay?

It would take some gumption. But surprising no.

Then again we would be lucky to get 15m for Sissoko.

Would it be at all surprising if these were the only 3 and Sissoko went to cover most of the outlay?

It's what I've expected all along, not sure why people believed there would be change unfortunately.

If we go into this season as is, we are going to struggle big time. Not Carver big time but Pardew big time.

Depends what you mean by struggle i suppose but even as we are i doubt we'll struggle to stay in the league. Obviously though that's pathetic in itself.

I'm not too worried about our attacking capabilities providing we keep hold of Cisse. Him, Mitrovic and Perez with Cabella, De Jong, Aarons and Wijnaldum supporting is not bad imo. Certainly capable of challenging top 10.

Defensively we are pinning an awful lot on Mbemba to stop the rot if he's our only incoming in that position. We truly are horrific at the back.

Three signings is simply not good enough, as good as the new players allegedly are.

It's no surprise, though. From an attacking point of view, the numbers are there; Cabella, Sissoko, Aarons, Obertan, Gouffran, Perez? Plenty of options so they're probably not going to sanction any more additions in that area - regardless of how gash/unsuited/unproven those options are. Another season of square pegs will ensue if we're not buying a winger.

Defensively the squad is a joke but again, there's numbers, regardless of how gash/unsuited/unproven those options are.

If we're signing any more then players are going to have to leave. Lighten the roster.

GK: Krul, Elliot, Alnwick, Woodman - no room

RB: Janmaat - room for one

CB: Mbemba, Colo, Taylor, Williamson, Lascelles, Good, Satka - no room

LB: Haidara, Dummett - no room

W: Sissoko, Cabella, Aarons, Obertan, Gouffran - no room

CM: Wijnaldum, De Jong, Colback, Anita, Tiote, Abeid, Vuckic - no room

ST: Cisse, Mitrovic, Perez, Riviere - possibly room for one more?

If we were an outfit that took our football seriously, there'd be absolutely fuck all to prevent us from signing more players. The squad is full of absolute guff.

Guest ElCid

Just been on SSN - expects Colo to stay. Said he doesn't know if we will get anymore signings. Hope he was being cagey - otherwise we are going to struggle.

Obviously he's being cagey as I distinctly recall Ashley saying we were going to make our own luck from now on. I for one fully expect them to deliver more high quality signings as they never tell lies, mislead fans or create unrealistic expectations in the fanbase. #buythefuckingcart

If there is no more coming in then again not 1 fucking penny has been spent above what we have in the bank already in profit. Also makes McClaren look a right idiot after saying there will more to come and some off the 'radar'. We will see' but I suspect it to be right and with possibly one or two leaving which will mean that they are actually making a profit again overall and also without a penny of the tv money being spent either. There should be a minimum of 4 more players coming in - CD, CF, CM and winger and you could argue another winger and left back also. These cunts are probably thinking de Jong and Aarons are like two new players and saving them a boatload of cash. The prospect of Colback and Anita being our first choice center midfield again is fucking shocking as is the thought of Colo, Taylor and Williamson being part of our first choice centre half's. Do these fuckers ever learn from their mistakes ever.

McClaren surely must see how weak as p*ss we are at the back? One talented 20 yr old with no prem experience isn't going to solve things

Of course he does, but there's not much he can do about that.

He can complain. But Thumbhead is probably a big fan of the clown on stilts.

Three signings is simply not good enough, as good as the new players allegedly are.

It's no surprise, though. From an attacking point of view, the numbers are there; Cabella, Sissoko, Aarons, Obertan, Gouffran, Perez? Plenty of options so they're probably not going to sanction any more additions in that area - regardless of how gash/unsuited/unproven those options are. Another season of square pegs will ensue if we're not buying a winger.

Defensively the squad is a joke but again, there's numbers, regardless of how gash/unsuited/unproven those options are.

If we're signing any more then players are going to have to leave. Lighten the roster.

If we were an outfit that took our football seriously, there'd be absolutely f*** all to prevent us from signing more players. The squad is full of absolute guff.

Sissoko better be nowhere near the wing.

I think we'd be fine with 2 more, so long as one of them is a top quality commanding CB and the other is a quality wide player.

Anything less than that and we're ill equipped. I mean, I think we'll get lower mid-table regardless, but if we want to be consistently competitive we need those two.

I think we'd be fine with 2 more, so long as one of them is a top quality commanding CB and the other is a quality wide player.

Anything less than that and we're ill equipped. I mean, I think we'll get lower mid-table regardless, but if we want to be consistently competitive we need those two.

Aye I agree with this.

Thing is we've stayed up with hotchpotch sides in the past, square pegs in round holes, players playing above themselves etc. You really only need a bit of quality to win you enough games over the course of a season. But if you want to be competitive every week and try to push up into the top half, to also try and compete in the cups, you need a strong spine and every position covered by players in their natural positions. We've not had that at any point since promotion because of:

a. looking for bargains rather than addressing positions

b. not shifting out shitcunts (e.g. thinking the likes of Perch and Ryan Taylor are 'versatile' rather than 'shite')

c. having loads of players who spend half the time on the treatment table

:thup:

If we were an outfit that took our football seriously, there'd be absolutely f*** all to prevent us from signing more players. The squad is full of absolute guff.

Is Marveux no longer in the frame?

GK: Krul, Darlow, Woodman, Elliot

RB: Janmaat, New signing?

CB: Mbemba, Taylor, Lascelles, New Signing, Colo, Williamson, Good, Satka

LB: Haidara, Dummett

W: Cabella, Aarons, New Signing, Obertan, Gouffran

CM: Wijnaldum, De Jong, Colback, Anita, Sissoko, Abeid, Tiote, Vuckic

ST: Cisse, Mitrovic, Perez, Riviere

22/23 man squad.

So much deadwood in the squad. I'd be looking to shift all the reds, bring in one more CB and one more winger. A backup RB would be ideal but not a massive priority with Mbemba being able to cover there (Janmaat managed to stay pretty much injury free last season).

You are off your tits if you think Sissoko is going to get a game in the centre. I was different last year when we had no creativity in the middle of the pitch. De Jong and Wijnaldum change that, so Sissoko will be playing out wide.

He should have freedom to roam, especially with Janmaat providing width. Sissokos pace will be vital in the wide areas.

If McClaren had balls he wouldn't play the utter shite on the books and insist on getting replacements - even if the replacements were solely intended to be backups or younger players they could develop. Williamson has no place whatsoever in the first 11 nor on the bench for me personally, even Janmaat and Dummet have shown him up in the past and CB isn't their preferred position.

Mbemba has been signed (hopefully if it goes through) primarily as a CB, but also as RB cover.

We need another CB, especially as I would still expect Colo (and hopefully Williamson) to leave.

In an preferred not completely impossible world, we'd sign a proper RB cover (ideally a youngish prospect), another CB, a first team LB, a wide midfielder and a striker. That with selling Sissoko for the kind of money that's being talked about.

Then I'd expect McClaren to play

GK Krul

RB Janmaat

CB Mbemba

CB New CB

LB New LB

CM Tiote/Colback

CM Winjnaldum

AMC De Jong

AMR Cabella/Perez

AML Aarons

ST Mitrovic

The actual reality is likely Taylor alongside Mbemba, Dummett at LB and Gouffran or Obertan over Aarons. Oh and Colback captain.