Steve McClaren

Dave

The most endearing theng about steve, and incidentally the thing that annoyed me most about Pardle, is his ability to speak understandable English and not to bullshi# when he speaks, he really does seem GENUINE, something missing for a good few years.

Anita

“I think it helps the manager has experience of Dutch football and has a style fairly similar to what I would be used to in Holland.

“The way he sets his team up is fairly similar to a lot of Dutch sides and the role I am playing now is the most similar to the one I used to play in at Ajax.

“Hopefully, that will mean I can fit in more easily than maybe before.”

Nice little tonic for those saying McClaren was worse than Pardew (at the time of his appointment).

Did anyone on here say that? Cronky doesn't count.

[emoji38]

I know I responded to a fair few comments along the lines of 'It's another Pardew', 'another English dinosaur'.

Anyway, hopefully this better style of play is what we see every week.

:facepalm:

How are those the same thing? What I, and a few others, said was that Steve McClaren was an unambitious appointment with a very patchy record. Not the significant upgrade the club should have gone for, and I stand by that.

Not sure if it was you or not, but the main gripe for me was people saying he was another Pardew in terms of style of football, which is just plain wrong. I also don't think he failed at Derby but I guess that's open to debate.

did anyone say this at all?  the closest i remember is ronaldo saying that his boro mates hated mclaren and that the football was boring and s*** under him...that's still a very long way from saying he's anything like pardew

Yes. Quite a few actually.

Such as?

Anita

“I think it helps the manager has experience of Dutch football and has a style fairly similar to what I would be used to in Holland.

“The way he sets his team up is fairly similar to a lot of Dutch sides and the role I am playing now is the most similar to the one I used to play in at Ajax.

Nice little tonic for those saying McClaren was worse than Pardew (at the time of his appointment).

[emoji38]

I know I responded to a fair few comments along the lines of 'It's another Pardew', 'another English dinosaur'.

How are those the same thing? What I, and a few others, said was that Steve McClaren was an unambitious appointment with a very patchy record. Not the significant upgrade the club should have gone for, and I stand by that.

Not sure if it was you or not, but the main gripe for me was people saying he was another Pardew in terms of style of football, which is just plain wrong. I also don't think he failed at Derby but I guess that's open to debate.

did anyone say this at all?  the closest i remember is ronaldo saying that his boro mates hated mclaren and that the football was boring and s*** under him...that's still a very long way from saying he's anything like pardew

Yes. Quite a few actually.

Such as?

Do you want me to name names? :lol:

EDIT: Just go back in the thread and look.

Anita

:lol:

You don't think he's a significant upgrade on Pardew?

I don't actually. A slight upgrade maybe, and it's certainly refreshing to hear him speak after years of Pardew, but his record isn't significantly better and McClaren seems equally pally with his paymasters already. Put it this way, it wouldn't surprise me if in two or three years time it dawned on people that the McClaren era is just a continuation of the Pardew years. I hope not, but it wouldn't surprise me.

Ask yourself this: which one of the top 8 clubs we are trying to break into would have gone for Steve McClaren, seriously?

I'm a lot more impressed by us replacing the likes of Carver and Stone with Cathro. At least McClaren is not afraid to bring in good coaches.

I'd had the feeling Pardew wouldn't have because he wouldn't have wanted someone showing him up.

I'm a lot more impressed by us replacing the likes of Carver and Stone with Cathro. At least McClaren is not afraid to bring in good coaches.

I'd had the feeling Pardew wouldn't have because he wouldn't have wanted someone showing him up.

I agree with that. If anything I'm more impressed by us having been able to appoint Cathro, a young up and coming, highly thought off football coach with high level international experience and with the ambition to one day soon manage at the highest level, as an assistant, than by appointing McClaren himself.

I agree with that. If anything I'm more impressed by us having been able to appoint Cathro, a young up and coming, highly thought off football coach with high level international experience and with the ambition to one day soon manage at the highest level, as an assistant, than by appointing McClaren himself.

I agree with the Cathro thing. I just think it's to McClaren's credit he's gone for it. You have to admire a man who knows he weaknesses and tries to build a coaching team around him to compensate for it. Desperately hope it works out!

It was very clear in the Southampton game that McClaren and Cathro work quite closely together during the game. I think the plan is for them to do a role reversal in a few years time, with maybe McClaren replacing Carr as well as mentoring Cathro as he takes his first steps in management.

The hiring of Cathro tells you everything you need to know about McClaren. Even in that first game, you could see them interacting and him actively discussing things with him in the stands.

Pardew would be threatened by anyone with any kind of ability, and would not have never hired anyone like that. I don't even think I ever remember seeing Pardew discussing anything with his staff during the game. Not that they would have had anything to add.

Instead Pards was too busy on the touchline bellowing at the players, you know showing his "passion" and "desire". Con artist extraordinaire that guy.

The hiring of Cathro tells you everything you need to know about McClaren. Even in that first game, you could see them interacting and him actively discussing things with him in the stands.

Pardew would be threatened by anyone with any kind of ability, and would have never hired anyone like that. I don't even think I ever remember seeing Pardew discussing anything with his staff during the game. Not that they would have had anything to add.

Instead Pards was too busy on the touchline bellowing at the players, you know showing his "passion" and "desire". Con artist extraordinaire that guy.

:thup:

I agree with the sentiment, but you don't remember Pardew ever discussing things with Carver or Stone during the game? Really?

I genuinely don't. Just remember him prowling up and down the sideline acting like a tit.

I agree with the sentiment, but you don't remember Pardew ever discussing things with Carver or Stone during the game? Really?

Tbf Cathro actually looks like he knows something about football

Aye. Evidently, if there's someone that knows less about football than Pardew, it's John Carver.

:lol:

Tbf Cathro actually looks like he knows something about football

Aye. Evidently, if there's someone that knows less about football than Pardew, it's John Carver.

Steve " you are at your most vulnerable when you have the ball " Stone would give him a run for his money tbf. The whole thing was a fucking farce, thank fuck it's all over.

McClaren teams never struck me as particularly impressive on the eye. But the football, given one game - is better than I expected.

I was initially not too enthused by the appointment of McClaren, although I still knew it would be light years ahead of Pardew. What actually changed my mind somewhat was reading the Derby forums with most of their fans praising the football played during his time there. It made me think that his time in Europe might have given him some new insights and with him bringing in a right hand man who has also worked abroad it is good reason to think we should look forward to moving on from Pardew's prehistoric ideas about the game.