Steve McClaren

Dave

No problem with him getting a higher vantage point with Cathro in the stands analyzing our patterns of play, positioning etc. He's clearly still in need of learning and seeing who and what works best. I'd rather see him up there WORKING and trying to get us playing better and improving.

I was not happy with his initial team selection with the CM partnership and LW in Obertan. But I think at 2-1 he had the chance to turn the game in our favor and bring on positive subs in Mitrovic (who was always coming on) and either Perez, De Jong, or Aarons. Instead, Anita gets hurt and I think that changed the plan completely. I assume it did.  I still think he had the chance to be braver and bring on Aarons, Perez/De Jong and Mitrovic when Anita went down but didn't. So I'm a little bit annoyed with that, but will get over it.

In the back, I think we are going to be weak and or a work-in-progress. I like the deep playmaker dropping in between the CBs allowing the fullbacks to push up the pitch, and I like the passing and movement at times. We look far more competent and focused going forward. I think there is a ton of potential in this team, but we really need to sign more players and McClaren can make his job far easier if he shored up that back line with another CB, a LB (or PD returning quickly), and getting Cabella, Marveaux, and Abeid some time on the pitch. He's shooting himself in the foot when he pairs 2 sitting players like that.

Very early, many errors, didn't agree with the substitutions, but I like McClaren the man, he's an honest football man who I'm more than happy to give the benefit of doubt. I enjoyed our match today and I want to continue to enjoy it.  There's a purpose with this football team for 75 minutes, and I haven't seen that in a few years. We didn't rely on "magic" , we actually worked and fought for our goals for once.                           

When the camera's cut to McClaren and Cathro in the stands, it was really refreshing to see some people on our side actually watching and trying to work out what we needed to do. A bit of a difference from Carver and Stone gurning and shouting.

No problem with him getting a higher vantage point with Cathro in the stands analyzing our patterns of play, positioning etc. He's clearly still in need of learning and seeing who and what works best. I'd rather see him up there WORKING and trying to get us playing better and improving.

I was not happy with his initial team selection with the CM partnership and LW in Obertan. But I think at 2-1 he had the chance to turn the game in our favor and bring on positive subs in Mitrovic (who was always coming on) and either Perez, De Jong, or Aarons. Instead, Anita gets hurt and I think that changed the plan completely. I assume it did.  I still think he had the chance to be braver and bring on Aarons, Perez/De Jong and Mitrovic when Anita went down but didn't. So I'm a little bit annoyed with that, but will get over it.

In the back, I think we are going to be weak and or a work-in-progress. I like the deep playmaker dropping in between the CBs allowing the fullbacks to push up the pitch, and I like the passing and movement at times. We look far more competent and focused going forward. I think there is a ton of potential in this team, but we really need to sign more players and McClaren can make his job far easier if he shored up that back line with another CB, a LB (or PD returning quickly), and getting Cabella, Marveaux, and Abeid some time on the pitch. He's shooting himself in the foot when he pairs 2 sitting players like that.

Very early, many errors, didn't agree with the substitutions, but I like McClaren the man, he's an honest football man who I'm more than happy to give the benefit of doubt. I enjoyed our match today and I want to continue to enjoy it.  There's a purpose with this football team for 75 minutes, and I haven't seen that in a few years. We didn't rely on "magic" , we actually worked and fought for our goals for once.                           

Nice summary of things, pretty much exactly how I feel. It was nice wanting the team to win the day as under Pardew and then Carver I wanted us to lose (to get rid of Pardew) or simply didn't care. Having someone here that wants to win games is nice. Early days but here's hoping Steve McClaren can do well.

I'm second guessing other peoples' thoughts a bit, but I got the feeling watching the game that it demonstrated what the Pardew Out campaign was all about. For anyone who didn't know, that is.

We've still got Ashley and a squad with plenty of problems, but we got a glimpse of our players playing closer to their potential than they have for a long time. It was heartening to see.

I'm second guessing other peoples' thoughts a bit, but I got the feeling watching the game that it demonstrated what the Pardew Out campaign was all about. For anyone who didn't know, that is.

We've still got Ashley and a squad with plenty of problems, but we got a glimpse of our players playing closer to their potential than they have for a long time. It was heartening to see.

:thup:

Yep.

What's the chances as well that once the media start noticing the change to the way we play, the improvement in individuals, etc. that they say, "compared to the last 6 months under Carver they're like a different team" and the like, completely ignoring this was going on for 3-4 years before.

What's the chances as well that once the media start noticing the change to the way we play, the improvement in individuals, etc. that they say, "compared to the last 6 months under Carver they're like a different team" and the like, completely ignoring this was going on for 3-4 years before.

This is so depressingly predictable. Even some of the local reports have been saying how much better yesterday was compared to 'the rest of 2015'. Aye, what about all the times before that, you knobs?

This is so depressingly predictable. Even some of the local reports have been saying how much better yesterday was compared to 'the rest of 2015'. Aye, what about all the times before that, you knobs?

or they'll claim he's been "backed" in the market by ashley that's the major reason for the upturn in fortunes whereas super al was forced to fight the good fight for 4 years

I didn't want him, don't particularly like him but I'll be the first to say yesterday was light years ahead of AP's approach.

The system is much more suited to NUFC and just generally more positive, as it should be.

If he could just lose that fucking annoying habit he has of missing out conjunctions when he speaks, that would be dandy.

Yes, the passing game we played was nice to see and we have players capable of doing so. makes a huge difference when you have two centre backs who are capable of passing and dribbling (go on Mbemba!) the ball out of defense.

Been mentioned a couple of times that our CBs went wide, the full backs pushed up to the halfway and our DMs dropped to receive... the proper way to play football! not just a long punt up the field hoping that the 50% chance goes our way, knowing that our centre forward has no chance against two large lumps (Bless him - Cisse), like our previous incumbents/incompetents used to play...

Was refreshing to see a game plan, of sorts, in the process of development rather than 11 blokes thrown out onto the pitch and told to get on with it.

:thup: Yep

The sensible thing to do, bearing in mind he's gonna be here for the long term, would be to get it right at first team level and then get the rest of the teams at the club playing to it.

That way, when we're struggling with squad depth, we can bring in the kids who, at the very least, understand their roles/position.

Noticed this during the 5 mins of radio coverage I caught. John Anderson saying that we looked like we had a plan, when for 'most of last season' we didn't. Yeah, if it was so obvious we didn't know what we were doing, how come you didn't mention it then John?

Yep, I heard that on the commentary too. Like he's a replacement for Carver and not Pardew.

The ignorance of Pardew notwithstanding, Lowes and Anderson would never have said anything that negative about Carver's team. It's the same all over football as others have pointed out, no-one's got the balls to tell it like it is, but everyone is wise after the fact.

Made me laugh after the game when McClaren said "The fans pushed us on a bit too much in wanting to go on and get the win"

Had Pardew said that, he would (and was, because he said the same a couple of times) be fucking crucified :lol: "blaming the fans for his incompetence!" etc

It was more, 'I've been told that the fans up here always want us to go for the win, but the players need to be a bit smarter in the last 10 minutes'. Or something like that.

Quite a good example of him looking at something in a completely different way to Pardew actually.