Steve McClaren

Dave

I am still in disbelief that McClaren is our manager. I don't feel strongly one way or the other but it seems unreal somehow... I blame Ashley.

I don't believe the WHam game is a must win. I am willing to give him time. The last former England manager we had took a while to get things going (two years of 11th place). It eventually worked out.

Not sure why he started Obertan early on tbh, my only conclusion would be that he didn't have a clue about most of the players due to the shite pre season and was still learning.

I think he's learnt that he's shite now though, now if only he can realize that all Perez, Sissoko, Thauvin and Wijnaldum should be playing that would be grand.

Not sure why he started Obertan early on tbh, my only conclusion would be that he didn't have a clue about most of the players due to the shite pre season and was still learning.

I think he's learnt that he's shite now though, now if only he can realize that all Perez, Sissoko, Thauvin and Wijnaldum should be playing that would be grand.

i still don't think there's any excuse for it, you might argue he helped us get one of our two points with that one cross against southampton but i'd be inclined to believe that if perez or de jong had been playing we might have got more out of it when we were on top instead of carrying that piece of fucking dead wood as per

http://www.chroniclelive.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/steve-mcclaren-newcastle-uniteds-goalscoring-10037580

Asked whether his team have enough goals in them, McClaren said: “At the present moment, no. But then again we have played two games with ten men. We have talked about that a lot. I think we have got strikers who can score and players who can score. But in two games that has been virtually impossible with ten men against good quality opponents.

“And against Manchester United it is always difficult, but we could have won it with the last kick.

“Against Southampton I was encouraged with the opportunities we scored two goals with. We have not been able to kick on from the Southampton game, and that for me is very frustrating and very disappointing.

“So I think we are all looking and going, ‘Is that going to be a problem this year?’ It won’t be answered until we have played a few more games.”

Newcastle were looking for another striker in the transfer window and had an interest in Charlie Austin. But McClaren said he feels they have enough strikers with Cisse staying on Tyneside.

He said: “I think we have got four here. It was a question that if we lost one, then yeah maybe.

“But I think four is enough, give me five and I don’t sleep at night, with four I even struggle. Give me three quality ones. So I think we have got the players here that can score, not just strikers but wide players now with Ayo, Florian and Moussa and Wijnaldum can score from midfield. We are just not seeing it at the moment.”

Positive. :thup: Though I'm not sure who the fourth striker is if Perez is a wide player.

Just nice to read an honest opinion from a NUFC Manager.

Pardew would have said how delighted he was etc etc.

Overall I'm probably fairly happy with SMC so far, he is worlds apart from Pardew imo.

- Gouffran is nowhere near the starting 11

- Obertan started initially, but SMC had the bottle to drop him straight away when he realised he wasn't any good

- Playing a more passing style of football, rather than watching teams pass it around us

- Honest approach in his interviews, rather than sugar coating everything

- Seems to be serious with the intent in the cups, strongest 11 we've probably seen in a cup in years (at home to League 2 opposition)

Now the transfer window has closed, get Chelsea/Man City out of the way and we've got a real good run of fixtures ahead of us.

Really intrigued to see where we sit at New Year.

Aye Simpson talks a good game tbh, doesn't sound like he gets involved a lot from technical aspect and that seems to be more Cathro's area of expertise but even so. If he's replacing Stone talking a good game is miles better from a default stand point he isn't saying " you are at your most vulnerable with the ball".

Aye Simpson talks a good game tbh, doesn't sound like he gets involved a lot from technical aspect and that seems to be more Cathro's area of expertise but even so. If he's replacing Stone talking a good game is miles better from a default stand point he isn't saying " you are at your most vulnerable with the ball".

:lol: f*** me had forgotten all about that.

"you are at your most vulnerable on match day. you might lose".

I think the goals will come when we lose one of the holding midfielders and that will allow us to play an extra forward/attacking midfielder. Yes we'll be a bit more vulnerable defensively, but at the moment we are neither one thing or the other.

I've never actually read that quote from a reliable source. Does anyone have a link to the article or video it is from? I have a hard time believing he said that he or he meant exactly that.

I would hope he meant something like "the moment you lose the ball, you are most vulnerable"

Bit of both really.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thefootballtacticsblog/2011/10/newcastle_profit_from_pardews.html

If you are out of position and you lose the ball, teams can cut through you so quickly. When you play Manchester United, Arsenal or Tottenham, for example, you are at your weakest when you have the ball, when you are attacking or when you have a corner.

"If you are out of position and you lose the ball, teams can cut through you so quickly. When you play Manchester United, Arsenal or Tottenham, for example, you are at your weakest when you have the ball, when you are attacking or when you have a corner.

"That's when they can hurt you because you are out of position so we try and make sure we are in position as much as possible."

It's a very, very defensive mindset but he was talking about defending in particular. It's not as bad a quote as is made out.

I also think SMC is from that same school of thought. Our central midfield has 2 very safe passers in it. 2 players whose instincts aren't to break out of position and make a meaningful forward run. But I believe SMC wants to have the ball more... but be careful with it. Pardew preferred not having the ball, waiting for the opponent to lose it and then taking advantage of them being out of position and scoring on the counter.

I don't think either approach works well for our club. At SJP you need to be brave. It's why before Ashley we would be strong at home and weak away.

TCD, please just shut the fuck up for abit. You are absolutely nauseating. Every single thread is just you on some high horse, pretending you have an all knowing tactical knowledge of the game. It's boring man, the whole forum is sick to death of it.

I believe...

I think...

I know...

I understand...

I am lead to believe...

It is my interpritation that...

Gegenpressing...

Shuttler...

Pardew...

It's relentless FFS.

I think McLaren is being pragmatic atm as he knows our defence has been leaking goals for years and seeing as he didn't get any new players his only option is to protect them and drill some organisation into them.

If/when he gets better players I think he'll open up and I really hope he starts to do this at home against weaker teams who we should be scoring against. If he's cautious against Watford for example I might start to worry.